Describe disorder in terms of entropy

In summary, the authors of the article say that entropy is not related to disorder, and that the two concepts are not interchangeable.
Jewish_Vulcan
when they mean disorder do they mean the range of velocities of the particles increasing as entropy increases? so there are larger differences between the low KE particles and the high KE particles?

Science news on Phys.org
Jewish_Vulcan said:
when they mean disorder do they mean the range of velocities of the particles increasing as entropy increases? so there are larger differences between the low KE particles and the high KE particles?

Who is "they"? We can't tell you what someone means if we don't know who you're asking about.

If you're serious about understanding entropy, your first step should be to forget everything you've heard about "disorder" and start in on the real definition of entropy in terms of number of states.

Nugatory said:
Who is "they"? We can't tell you what someone means if we don't know who you're asking about.

If you're serious about understanding entropy, your first step should be to forget everything you've heard about "disorder" and start in on the real definition of entropy in terms of number of states.
when I reffered to they I was talking about the people in science who give the definitions and describe scientific concepts, it is a neglectible fact for answering my question.

Jewish_Vulcan said:
when I reffered to they I was talking about the people in science who give the definitions and describe scientific concepts, it is a neglectible fact for answering my question.

It may seem trivial, but it is often the case that telling us the source of your information can help us explain something to you. From your original question we don't know if you're reading a textbook, a wiki article, or something else.

Drakkith said:
It may seem trivial, but it is often the case that telling us the source of your information can help us explain something to you. From your original question we don't know if you're reading a textbook, a wiki article, or something else.
well if it helps any I get my physics information from a textbook.

Jewish_Vulcan said:
well if it helps any I get my physics information from a textbook.

What did that textbook say about entropy, disorder, and their connection to molecular motion? If we don't know what it is was trying to say, we cannot explain it to you. (This is one of the reasons that Physics Forums has a rule requiring that you provide sources)

I could guess that your textbook just said something about entropy representing disorder and left it at that. If that's your starting point, then we've already answered your question back in post #2 of this thread: Forget everything you've heard about "disorder" and start in on the real definition of entropy in terms of number of states. But now I'm just guessing what you're looking for, and if I guessed wrong that answer won't be helpful.

Jewish_Vulcan said:
when I reffered to they I was talking about the people in science who give the definitions and describe scientific concepts
There is no single authority doing this, science is a much more open process.
"disorder" is not used in the scientific definition of entropy. You probably found some book that tries to explain physics to non-physicists, which means the science got simplified a lot - and we have no idea how exactly this was done in the book you read.
it is a neglectible fact for answering my question.
It is absolutely necessary.

Likes Jewish_Vulcan, at94official and Khashishi

1. What is disorder in terms of entropy?

Disorder in terms of entropy refers to the measure of the degree of randomness or chaos in a system. It is often used in thermodynamics to describe the distribution of energy in a system.

2. How is entropy related to disorder?

Entropy and disorder are directly related. As the entropy of a system increases, the disorder or randomness also increases. This means that a higher level of entropy indicates a more disordered system.

3. How can disorder be quantified in terms of entropy?

Disorder can be quantified by calculating the change in entropy (∆S) of a system. This is done by comparing the entropy of the initial state to the entropy of the final state. The greater the change in entropy, the greater the disorder in the system.

4. Can disorder decrease in a system?

According to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that disorder cannot decrease in a system, it can only stay the same or increase.

5. How does disorder affect the behavior of a system?

An increase in disorder or entropy can cause a system to become less stable and more chaotic. This can lead to changes in the behavior of the system, such as an increase in energy dissipation or a decrease in efficiency.