Describing recursive formulae in words

• Thread starter mse14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the conversation discusses two probabilities, ##p_{n, 0}(4)## and ##p_{n - 1, 1}(3)##, and how they relate to the total probability law. The conversation also explores the values of ##B## and the probability represented by ##2 \cdot \frac {n-1}{n} \cdot \frac 1n##. Additionally, the conversation discusses the definition of ##p_{i,n−i}(k)## and how it relates to distinct events.
mse14
Homework Statement
Recursive formulae and total probability
Relevant Equations
Consider two jars, each initially containing an equal number of balls. We perform four successive ball exchanges. In each exchange, we pick simultaneously and at random a ball from each jar and move it to the other jar. Let ##p_{i,n−i}(k)## denote the probability that after ##k## exchanges, a jar will contain ##i## balls that started in that jar and ##n−i## balls that started in the other jar. Suppose we want to find ##p_{n, 0}(4).## We argue recursively, using the total probability theorem. We have

##p_{n, 0}(4) = \frac 1n \cdot \frac 1n \cdot p_{n - 1, 1}(3), ##

## p_{n - 1, 1}(3) = p_{n, 0}(2) + 2 \cdot \frac{n - 1}{n} \cdot \frac 1n \cdot p_{n - 1, 1}(2) + \frac 2n \cdot \frac 2n \cdot p_{n - 2, 2}(2), ##

## p_{n, 0}(2) = \ldots ##

## \ldots##
I am only interested in the verbal descriptions of ##p_{n, 0}(4), \ p_{n - 1, 1}(3)##.

The right hand side of ##p_{n, 0}(4)## describes the probability of choosing one ball from one jar and the probability of choosing one ball from another jar and the probability of one of the jars containing ##n-1## original balls together with a ball from the other jar. Is that correct?

For ##p_{n - 1, 1}(3)## we need the total probability law.

In pictorial form, the total probability law looks like this below:

Capture.PNG

Using the notation from the pic above, we have ##p(A_1) = p_{n, 0}(2), \ p(A_2) = p_{n-1, 1}(2), \ p(A_3) = p_{n-2, 2}(2)##. Assuming that's correct, what's ##B## here? Do we have two values for ##B##, namely,##2 \cdot \frac {n-1}{n} \cdot \frac 1n## and ##\frac 2n \cdot \frac 2n##? Shouldn't ##B## have only one value? Also, shouldn't ##p_{n, 0}(2)## have a coeffcient, say ##B##, according to the total probability law? Lastly, what probability does ##2 \cdot \frac {n-1}{n} \cdot \frac 1n## represent? I understand where the coefficient ##2## comes from, but not sure about the rest of the expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you need the total probability rule for this. It's just conditional probability.
To have it at (3,1) at one step either it was (4,0) at the prior step, or it was (2,2) and then we happened to pick exactly the right ball from each.
But to phrase it in the form you ask for, P(B) is what you are trying to find, ##p_{3,1}(3)##. You would obtain this by summing ##P(B|A_1)P(A_1)## etc.

It is not quite clear how ##p_{i,n−i}(k)## is defined, but I would say that, for 2i<n, ##p_{i,n−i}(k)## and ##p_{n−i, i}(k)## represent distinct events.

Last edited:

What is a recursive formula?

A recursive formula is a mathematical expression used to define a sequence, where each term is defined in terms of the previous term(s). It is a way to describe a pattern or relationship between terms in a sequence.

How do you write a recursive formula in words?

To write a recursive formula in words, you need to identify the pattern or relationship between terms in the sequence. Then, you can use words to describe how each term is related to the previous term(s). For example, "each term is equal to the previous term multiplied by 2."

What are the key components of a recursive formula?

The key components of a recursive formula are the initial term(s) and the recurrence relation. The initial term(s) are the starting value(s) of the sequence, while the recurrence relation describes how each term is related to the previous term(s).

How do you determine the next term in a sequence using a recursive formula?

To determine the next term in a sequence using a recursive formula, you need to substitute the previous term(s) into the recurrence relation and perform the necessary operations. The resulting value will be the next term in the sequence.

What are some real-world applications of recursive formulae?

Recursive formulae can be used to model and solve various real-world problems, such as population growth, compound interest, and fractals. They can also be used in computer programming and data analysis to create efficient algorithms and analyze patterns in data.