Description of a nuclear EMP event

• Thread starter GTOM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical accuracy of a description in a story about the aftermath of a nuclear attack. The use of EMP and its impact on electronics is questioned, as well as the reliability of military devices and hospitals during such an event. The possibility of using GPS for navigation in tractors is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the use of space to surface missiles and the potential for leaders to escape to the moon. Finally, the discussion suggests alternative and potentially more dramatic descriptions for the effects of a nuclear bomb detonated in the ionosphere.
GTOM
I wonder whether the following description is physically accurate:

White balls like the Moon appeared on the night sky, when the nukes detonated in the ionosphere. Computers and cellphones ceased to function, transformators were overloaded and smoked. As if ancient, cruel gods punished humanity for their sins, fire rained down to Earth: space to surface missiles turned power plants and protected server rooms to craters. Many have died due to the bombing, or power shortage in hospitals. But the aftermath were even worse. The civilisation collapsed. Many robotic tractors survived the EMP, since their large, metallic bodies protected the electronics like Faraday cages, and most bombs went off above the cities. But eventually, they became inoperative due to lack of fuel and maintenance. Famine ravaged.

Physics news on Phys.org
GTOM said:
I wonder whether the following description is physically accurate:
Any part specifically, @GTOM?

Depending on when your story is set, many military devices would likely be resistant to EMP, and if we're using photonic computing, consumer devices may be as well. I'm not sure that a "large, metallic body" would protect the innards of a tractor, but even if they did, most such devices would presumably be using GPS for navigation, and the antenna would probably conduct sufficient energy into the electronics to burn them out. The GPS satellites should be okay, they orbit around 20kms up, but ones in lower orbits would be impacted and there might be sufficient atmospheric interference that the tractors would not have consistent signals to navigate by, irrespective of fuel (which would run out well before maintenance was needed, unless they are solar powered with self-return to PV-charged batteries at end of shift. Assuming the solar panels survive the EMP, which is unlikely.

In terms of transformers, there was a superstorm in 1989 and geomagnetic-induced currents melted windings of a large transformer at the Salem Nuclear plant, and that would cause smoke, no doubt, so that's realistic.

The population of hospitals would be trivial compared to the rest of a city, so I'm not sure why you've called that out, but hospitals typically have local generators, so if they did not burn out - and they might not if they were in a basement - ironically a hospital might fare better than the rest of the city.

Where did the space to surface missiles come from? This must be set in the future, as we don't have them currently, they violate numerous global treaties. Irrespective, any large scale bombing in a city would wreak havoc.

But there is a good description of the US nuclear bomb that was detonated in the ionosphere, the explosions are not going to be "white balls like the Moon", they are going to be giant flashbulbs going off, visible across continents! Which is much more dramatic and would be fun to write.

https://space4peace.org/why-the-u-s-once-set-off-a-nuclear-bomb-in-space/

• Informative
Likes GTOM and berkeman
Melbourne Guy said:
Any part specifically, @GTOM?

Depending on when your story is set, many military devices would likely be resistant to EMP, and if we're using photonic computing, consumer devices may be as well. I'm not sure that a "large, metallic body" would protect the innards of a tractor, but even if they did, most such devices would presumably be using GPS for navigation, and the antenna would probably conduct sufficient energy into the electronics to burn them out. The GPS satellites should be okay, they orbit around 20kms up, but ones in lower orbits would be impacted and there might be sufficient atmospheric interference that the tractors would not have consistent signals to navigate by, irrespective of fuel (which would run out well before maintenance was needed, unless they are solar powered with self-return to PV-charged batteries at end of shift. Assuming the solar panels survive the EMP, which is unlikely.

In terms of transformers, there was a superstorm in 1989 and geomagnetic-induced currents melted windings of a large transformer at the Salem Nuclear plant, and that would cause smoke, no doubt, so that's realistic.

The population of hospitals would be trivial compared to the rest of a city, so I'm not sure why you've called that out, but hospitals typically have local generators, so if they did not burn out - and they might not if they were in a basement - ironically a hospital might fare better than the rest of the city.

Where did the space to surface missiles come from? This must be set in the future, as we don't have them currently, they violate numerous global treaties. Irrespective, any large scale bombing in a city would wreak havoc.

But there is a good description of the US nuclear bomb that was detonated in the ionosphere, the explosions are not going to be "white balls like the Moon", they are going to be giant flashbulbs going off, visible across continents! Which is much more dramatic and would be fun to write.

https://space4peace.org/why-the-u-s-once-set-off-a-nuclear-bomb-in-space/
Ok, thanks for the info. I didnt know tractors rely so much on GPS. Hospitals, if all electronic device stop working on intensive care, it is still nasty, isn't it?
Those treaties were no longer since the leaders of the world could escape to Moon.

GTOM said:
I didnt know tractors rely so much on GPS
Oops, my bad. I'd assumed they are autonomous - though even large ones now use GPS for fine control of their line across large fields. But yeah, manual ones generally won't 👍

Likes GTOM

1. What is a nuclear EMP event?

A nuclear EMP (electromagnetic pulse) event is a sudden burst of electromagnetic energy caused by a high-altitude nuclear explosion. The energy released can disrupt and damage electronic devices and systems, potentially causing widespread power outages and communication failures.

2. How does a nuclear EMP event occur?

A nuclear EMP event occurs when a nuclear weapon is detonated in the Earth's atmosphere, releasing a burst of gamma rays. These gamma rays interact with the Earth's magnetic field, creating a powerful electromagnetic field that can induce currents in electronic devices.

3. What are the potential effects of a nuclear EMP event?

The effects of a nuclear EMP event can vary depending on the strength of the explosion and the distance from the detonation. Some potential effects include widespread power outages, damage to electronic devices and systems, and disruptions to communication and transportation systems.

4. Can a nuclear EMP event be prevented?

It is not currently possible to prevent a nuclear EMP event from occurring. However, steps can be taken to mitigate its effects, such as hardening critical infrastructure and developing backup systems for essential services.

5. How likely is a nuclear EMP event to occur?

The likelihood of a nuclear EMP event occurring is difficult to determine, as it would require a high-altitude nuclear explosion. However, the potential consequences of such an event make it a significant concern for national security and emergency preparedness efforts.

Back