Designing a Spaghetti Bridge to Support 2kg of Sand: Tips and Restrictions

In summary: The bridge must also meet specific size and weight restrictions, and cannot be impregnated with glue or painted. The judges will determine failure based on the bridge's ability to hold the load for at least 3 seconds. Some restrictions have also been placed on materials, such as using regular spaghetti and avoiding hot glue. Lamination and multiple contact areas are allowed as long as they meet certain requirements. Additionally, water and steam can be used to bend the spaghetti for better structural support.
hmilstein11
Hey y'all, I am in the 11th grade and have been assigned a spaghetti bridge project. Our teacher taught us nothing about bridges or structures, but only the basic forces. We were instructed to research designs of bridges online but every website or forum that I have found has had a different answer as to what the best bridge design is.

Here are some of the restrictions and rules we must follow:
Bridge Length - minimum of 30cm
Bridge Width - minimum of 5cm
Bridge Height - no limit
Roadbed Length - minimum of 30cm
Roadbed Width - minimum of 5cm
Total Mass - maximum of 50g
•A 5cm x 5cm x 1.5cm wood block must be able to be moved along the roadbed across the full length of the bridge
•No portion of the unloaded bridge shall be at a level below the top level of the testing table
Basically, we have to be able to load 2.00kg of sand into a bucket that is hanging from the center of our bridge, with a loading time of only 2 minutes allowed.

Failure is defined as the inability of the bridge to carry additional load and is decided by the judges. The judges will count to 3 seconds after the sand is loaded for the bridge to pass as holding the load.

Also, we have been given some restrictions for our materials, here are a few:
Spaghetti must be regular (not tubular, not thin or thick)
Preferably no hot glue, because it may add extra unnecessary weight to the bridge
Cannot paint or stain the bridge
Cannot impregnate the bridge with glue
Glue must be confined to points of contact between pieces of spaghetti
Use of glue accelerator is prohibited
Lamination is Prohibited - Lamination is defined here as any spaghetti-to-spaghetti contact area that exceeds 1.0cm in length
Multiple contact areas of parallel of near-parallel spaghetti are allowed along the length of the stick as long as each one is at least 3.0cm away from any others on that stick
Lap Joints are allowed
Mitering of joints is allowed at any angle as long as the 1cm rule is not violated
Water and steam to bend spaghetti is allowed

Anything will help, and thanks in advance!

-Holden

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would make my own spaghetti! Use lots of egg protein. The usual recipe is of flour and water only. Stir the mixture to develop the flour gluten as much as possible.

Use the smallest amount of glue at the joints as possible to prevent lozenging, the conversion of a well triangulated joint into a many sided joint.

Sounds fun!

I don't understand the requirement to be able to move a rather small wooden block across the bridge, which must also be designed to hold a bucket with 2 kg of sand suspended from the middle of the span.

1. How do I determine the best design for my spaghetti bridge?

The best design for a spaghetti bridge depends on several factors, including the type and size of spaghetti used, the type of glue or adhesive used, and the overall size and weight of the bridge. It is important to consider these factors and experiment with different designs to find the most suitable one for your specific project.

2. What materials do I need to build a spaghetti bridge?

The main materials needed for building a spaghetti bridge include dry spaghetti, glue or adhesive, and a solid base or platform to support the bridge. You may also need additional materials such as toothpicks, paper clips, or string for reinforcement or support.

3. How can I make my spaghetti bridge stronger?

There are several ways to make a spaghetti bridge stronger, including using thicker or multiple strands of spaghetti, using a stronger adhesive such as hot glue, and adding reinforcement materials such as toothpicks or paper clips. It is important to carefully test and adjust these elements to find the optimal strength for your bridge.

4. Can I use different types of pasta for my bridge?

While spaghetti is the most commonly used pasta for bridge building, you can also experiment with other types of pasta such as linguine, fettuccine, or angel hair. Keep in mind that different types of pasta may have different strengths and may require different design techniques.

5. What is the best way to test the strength of my spaghetti bridge?

The best way to test the strength of your spaghetti bridge is to gradually add weight to the bridge until it collapses. This can be done using small weights or by hanging a bucket filled with sand or water from the bridge. It is important to carefully record the weight at which the bridge collapses and use this information to make any necessary adjustments to your design.