Can a Gold Leaf Electroscope Detect Alpha Particles?

In summary, an electroscope can be used to detect alpha radiation but it would require a fresh, calibrated source and accurate weighings to be accurate. Another way to detect alpha radiation is to place the sample close to a luminescent screen.
Muhammad Danish
Can we use Gold Leaf Electroscope to check whether a radioactive material gives off Alpha particles?

Science news on Phys.org
Muhammad Danish said:
Can we use Gold Leaf Electroscope to check whether a radioactive material gives off Alpha particles?
I did this experiment when I was a kid--but not quantitatively. Two gold leaf electroscopes were charged together, then separated. One served as the control: it was placed in proximity to an ordinary needle. The other was placed in proximity to a needle tipped with polonium-210, an alpha emitter. The gold leaves came together much more quickly than on the control. I think I bought it as a science kit (!).

If you have a fresh, calibrated source and can weigh yours samples accurately, it might not be too difficult to get a quantitative answer.

Another simple way might be to place the sample close to luminescent screen, say zinc sulphide, in total darkless, and observe (or measure) the luminosity. That worked too, but I didn't measure it. The zinc sulphide was on one end of cork, and the needle with the emitter was stuck in the center.

BTW, brushes incorporating a Polonium-210 source used to be used to eliminate static from camera lenses, photographic negatives and even phonograph records. They worked great!
https://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/consumer products/staticeliminator.htm

Hi, I was wondering what how sensitive your avarage geiger counter (GQ gmc-320 plus) would be to alpha particles? If there was only an extremely tiny amount of alpha emmiters would the cpm increase significantly or could it still be hovering around background radiation because of the small amount?

What does the sensor of the GQ gmc-320 plus look like? If it doesn't have a thin window (so thin you would break it if touched), it's not going to be sensitive to alphas.

Likes Safia Hall
Thanks so much for you reply! No, it doesn't seem to so I'm guessing it's just for gamma and beta, would there be an increase in gamma and beta if alpha was present or would that be so small it would hardly push the cpm up?

Gene Naden said:
That is not the main use of an electroscope;
What has that got to do with whether or not it can be used for that purpose? The discharge of a gold leaf is affected by ionising radiation so why not use it as a detector?
The rate of discharge could be measured at various distances and with various materials in between to compensate for the effects of Beta and Gamma. Having said that, there are better ways of detecting alphas but, if all you have is an electroscope, why not?

1. What is alpha radiation?

Alpha radiation is a type of ionizing radiation that consists of high-energy helium nuclei. These nuclei are positively charged and can be emitted from the nuclei of unstable atoms.

2. How is alpha radiation detected?

Alpha radiation can be detected using various methods, such as a Geiger counter, a cloud chamber, or a scintillation detector. These devices work by measuring the ionization or light produced by the alpha particles as they interact with matter.

3. What are the dangers of alpha radiation?

Alpha radiation can be harmful if ingested or inhaled, as the particles can damage cells and cause tissue damage. However, alpha particles cannot penetrate deeply into the body, so external exposure is less dangerous than internal exposure.

4. How can alpha radiation exposure be minimized?

The best way to minimize exposure to alpha radiation is to avoid contact with or ingestion of radioactive materials. Proper handling and disposal of radioactive substances, as well as following safety protocols, can also help reduce exposure.

5. Can alpha radiation be shielded?

Yes, alpha radiation can be shielded by materials with high atomic numbers, such as paper, skin, or even a sheet of paper. This is because alpha particles have a relatively low penetrating power and are easily stopped by a few centimeters of air or a thin layer of a dense material.