Determination of Atomic Masses help

In summary, the relative atomic mass of element X on the given scale is likely to be a common factor of the calculated masses of X in substances A, B, and C, which are 21.4, 42.9, and 53.59 respectively.
Slimsta
suppose a nameless element (X) was found to occur in three different substances (A, B and C). The relative molecular masses of A, B, and C were found to be 27.40, 52.90 and 62.60 respectively, compared to an assigned value of exactly 2.00 for H2. Subsequently, these substances were subjected to elemental analysis and were found to contain 78.1%, 81.1% and 85.6% of X respectively by mass.

What is the (likely) relative atomic mass of X, on this scale?

what i did:
27.40 * 0.781 = 21.4
52.9 * 0.811 = 42.9
62.6 * 0.856 = 53.59

there is a hint that says
Work out the mass of X in the each of the molecules A, B, and C from the percentages of X and the molecular masses. Then find the highest common factor (also called the highest common divisor or the greatest common factor).

i have no idea how to get the common factor with those numbers..

btw i had no idea where i can post this in here so i posted here :X

Physics news on Phys.org
Slimsta said:
… i have no idea how to get the common factor with those numbers..

Hi Slimsta! :smile:

General tip:

you're only interested in the ratios

so calculate them, and see if anything leaps out at you. :wink:

What is the purpose of determining atomic masses?

The determination of atomic masses is important because it helps us understand the composition and properties of elements. It also allows us to accurately calculate chemical reactions and study the behavior of atoms.

How is the atomic mass of an element calculated?

The atomic mass of an element is calculated by taking the weighted average of the masses of all its naturally occurring isotopes. This takes into account the abundance of each isotope in nature.

Why are atomic masses expressed in atomic mass units (amu)?

Atomic masses are expressed in atomic mass units because it is a convenient unit of measurement for extremely small particles like atoms. 1 amu is equal to 1/12th the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

What is the difference between atomic mass and atomic number?

Atomic mass is the total mass of an atom, which is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. Atomic number, on the other hand, is the number of protons in an atom's nucleus. It determines an element's identity and placement on the periodic table.

How does the determination of atomic masses help in the field of nuclear chemistry?

The determination of atomic masses is crucial in nuclear chemistry as it allows us to accurately predict the stability and behavior of atoms during nuclear reactions. It also helps in the development of nuclear energy and understanding radioactive decay.