Determine all the solutions of the system

In summary: This has nothing to do with relativity or spacetime. The solution is just a plane embedded in R4. You don't need to sketch the space the plane is in, just the plane...
Hall
Homework Statement
$$
5x +2y -6z +2u =-1$$
$$
x- y +z -u =-2$$
Relevant Equations
Gauss-Jordan Elimination.
(I don't know how to make augmented matrices in latex, so what I would do is to use an equal to sign)
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
5 &2&-6&2 \\
1&-1&1&-1 \\
\end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix}
-1\\
-2\\
\end{bmatrix}$$
## R_1 \to R_1 +2R_2##
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
7 &0&-4&0\\
1&-1&1&-1\\
\end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix}
-5\\
\end{bmatrix} $$

Now, I would like to stop the Elimination process and put the variable in:
## z = (7x+5)/4##
##x -y +(7x+5)/4 -u =-2##

How to go further on? And what the question meant by "all the solutions"? Did they mean the general solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hall said:
How to go further on? And what the question meant by "all the solutions"? Did they mean the general solution?
Yes, they want a mathematical description of all possible solutions. Can you see how many dimensions the solution space has?

PeroK said:
Yes, they want a mathematical description of all possible solutions. Can you see how many dimensions the solution space has?
I always disliked the system of Linear equations and never paid a good attention to it. All I know from my high school studies is that when the number of unknowns exceed the number of Equations we usually have infinite number of solutions.

So, it seems to me the dimension will be infinite.

Hall said:
The dimension isn't infinite. A line would be an infinite number of solutions, but that is one dimensional.

Likes Hall
PeroK said:
The dimension isn't infinite. A line would be an infinite number of solutions, but that is one dimensional.
To be honest I don't know how do we find the dimension, but it seems all the variables shall be expressed in terms of x, therefore one dimensional.

Hall said:
To be honest I don't know how do we find the dimension, but it seems all the variables shall be expressed in terms of x, therefore one dimensional.
You have ##z## in terms of ##x##. But, what about ##y## in terms of ##x##?

Hint: two equations and four variables ...

Hall said:
I always disliked the system of Linear equations and never paid a good attention to it. All I know from my high school studies is that when the number of unknowns exceed the number of Equations we usually have infinite number of solutions.

Can you solve for 2 of the variables and identify the 2 others as free?

Likes Hall
PeroK said:
You have ##z## in terms of ##x##. But, what about ##y## in terms of ##x##?

Hint: two equations and four variables ...
y can be written in terms of x and u. So, I think the dimension is 2.

Likes sysprog and PeroK
sysprog said:
Can you solve for 2 of the variables and identify the 2 others as free?
Yes, x and u are free and z and y can be written in terms of them.

Likes sysprog
Hall said:
y can be written in terms of x and u. So, I think the dimension is 2.
Can you finish it off? Take ##x## and ##u## as free variables (or ##x## and ##y##, which is what I've done!) and express the other variables in terms of them.

Likes sysprog
PeroK said:
Can you finish it off? Take ##x## and ##u## as free variables (or ##x## and ##y##, which is what I've done!) and express the other variables in terms of them.
## z = (7x +5)/5##
## y = (11x -4u +13)/4##

Likes sysprog
Hall said:
## z = (7x +5)/5##
## y = (11x -4u +13)/4##
Looks good. A 2D plane in 4D space. Not easy to visualise!

Likes sysprog and Hall
PeroK said:
Looks good. A 2D plane in 4D space. Not easy to visualise!
Not hard for you I think. Can you give help me visualizing it? (Invoking Relativity?)

Hall said:
Not hard for you I think. Can you give help me visualizing it? (Invoking Relativity?)
I can't visualise it. I rely on using the number of free parameters, or the number of linearly independent vectors from a point in the plane.

Likes sysprog
Hall said:
(I don't know how to make augmented matrices in latex
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
5 &2&-6&2 \\
1&-1&1&-1 \\
\end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix}
-1\\
-2\\
\end{bmatrix}$$
Like this:
##\begin{bmatrix}
5 &2&-6&2 & | & -1 \\
1&-1&1&-1&| & -2\\
\end{bmatrix}##
Hall said:
## R_1 \to R_1 +2R_2##
The above row operation is not useful for Gauss-Jordan elimination. One possibility is to add a multiple of row 1 to row 2 so as to eliminate the leading entry of row 2. (Or you could add a multiple of row 2 to row 1 so as to eliminate the leading entry of row 1.)
Hall said:
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
7 &0&-4&0\\
1&-1&1&-1\\
\end{bmatrix}
= \begin{bmatrix}
-5\\
\end{bmatrix} $$

Now, I would like to stop the Elimination process and put the variable in:
## z = (7x+5)/4##
##x -y +(7x+5)/4 -u =-2##

Yes.

Hall said:
This has nothing to do with relativity or spacetime. The solution is just a plane embedded in R4. You don't need to sketch the space the plane is in, just the plane itself.

Last edited:
Likes sysprog
Looking ahead, it's helpful to be systematic in how you present the solutions to these kinds of problems. In reduced row-echelon form, the augmented matrix looks like this:
##\begin{bmatrix} 1&0 & -4/7 & 0 & | & -5/7 \\
0 & 1 & -11/7 & 1 & | & 9/7 \\\end{bmatrix}##
This means that
Code:
x = 4/7 z +  0 u - 5/7
y = 11/7 z - 1 u + 9/7
z =      z
u =           u
It's very important to understand the system of equations that a matrix or augmented matrix represents. From the above, a solution vector ##\vec x## ( = <x, y, z, u>T )can be written by merely picking off the coordinates of z and u + the constant vector.
I.e.
##\vec x = \begin{bmatrix} 4/7 \\ 11/7 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}z + \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ -1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}u + \begin{bmatrix} -5/7 \\ 9/7 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}##

This arrangement shows the two vectors that define the plane, plus a vector from the origin up to a point in the plane.

Likes sysprog
In the future, please state the problem completely, especially if you are going to ask about a part of the problem like "all the solutions". You did not even include that part in your problem statement above (although it was mentioned in the title).

Last edited:
Likes SammyS
Examples of equation sets, solutions, and dimensions of solution sets:
A) x=6 One equation with 1 variable, one solution (single point), solution set has 0 dimension
B) y = x+5 One equation with 2 variable, infinite solutions (a line), solution set has 1 dimension
C) y=x+5, y=2x Two equations with 2 variables, one solution (single point), solution set has 0 dimension
In general, N independent equations with M variables (unknowns) will have a solution set with M-N dimensions.

Likes sysprog
FactChecker said:
C) y=x+5, y=2x Two equations with 2 variables, one solution (single point), solution set has 0 dimension
In general, N independent equations with M variables (unknowns) will have a solution set with M-N dimensions.
To elaborate on the above, and omitting knowledge about whether the equations are independent, if we have three equations in three unknowns, we could have:
No solutions
The system of equations is inconsistent. Geometrically, the planes are all mutually parallel.

Exactly one solution
The system of equations is consistent, meaning that the reduced row echelon form will have a leading entry for each row. Geometrically, the three planes intersect in a single point.

Infinite number of solutions - can occur in two ways
The reduced row echelon form will have one row of zeroes. Geometrically, the three planes intersect in a line.
The reduced row echelon form will have two rows of zeroes. Geometrically, the three planes all intersect everywhere (the three equations all represent the same plane).

Likes FactChecker and sysprog
An illustrated list of the possible geometric arrangements (found on stackexchange):

1645994023414.png

Likes Mark44

1. What is the meaning of "solutions" in the context of a system?

The term "solutions" refers to the values or set of values that satisfy all the equations or inequalities in a given system. In other words, it is the set of values that make all the equations or inequalities true.

2. How do you determine all the solutions of a system?

To determine all the solutions of a system, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The specific method to be used depends on the type and complexity of the system.

3. Can a system have more than one solution?

Yes, a system can have more than one solution. In fact, a system can have infinitely many solutions if the equations or inequalities are dependent on each other.

4. What does it mean if a system has no solutions?

If a system has no solutions, it means that there is no set of values that can satisfy all the equations or inequalities at the same time. In other words, the system is inconsistent and does not have a solution.

5. How do you represent the solutions of a system?

The solutions of a system can be represented in various ways, such as ordered pairs, a set of numbers, or a graph. The specific representation depends on the type and complexity of the system and the method used to determine the solutions.