Determine Lattice Energy of PbCl2

In summary, lattice energy is the energy released when gaseous ions form a solid crystal lattice and is a measure of the strength of the ionic bonds in a compound. It is calculated using the Born-Haber cycle, which considers the formation of ions, dissociation of molecules, and combination of ions. The charges and sizes of ions, as well as the distance between them, affect the lattice energy of a compound. The lattice energy of PbCl2 can be determined experimentally or calculated using theoretical models such as the Born-Lande equation. Understanding the lattice energy of PbCl2 is important in determining the stability, properties, solubility, melting point, and reactivity of the compound.
cuallito
Homework Statement
Determine the lattice energy of PbCl2
Relevant Equations
Lattice energy= Heat of formation- Heat of atomization- Dissociation energy- (sum of Ionization energies)- (sum of Electron Affinities)
Here's my attempt at solving it using Hess's Law. I get -1770kJ when I add up all the numbers. The correct answer is supposed to be -2484 kJ.

lattice energy.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to flip the sign for 2Cl(g)->Cl2(g), but I'm still not getting the right number:
1637001678311.png

I agree with your calculation. Maybe the book's wrong - it happens.

Likes cuallito

1. What is lattice energy?

Lattice energy is the energy released when one mole of a solid ionic compound is formed from its gaseous ions. It is a measure of the strength of the ionic bonds in a compound.

2. How is lattice energy calculated?

Lattice energy can be calculated using the Born-Haber cycle, which takes into account the formation of ions from elements, the formation of the solid compound, and the dissociation of the solid compound into gaseous ions. It can also be calculated using the Coulomb's law equation, which considers the charges and distances of the ions.

3. What factors affect lattice energy?

The main factors that affect lattice energy are the charges of the ions and the distance between them. As the charges of the ions increase, the lattice energy also increases. Similarly, as the distance between ions decreases, the lattice energy increases.

4. How does the lattice energy of PbCl2 compare to other ionic compounds?

The lattice energy of PbCl2 is relatively high compared to other ionic compounds due to the high charges of the ions (+2 for Pb and -1 for Cl) and the relatively small distance between them. However, it is not as high as the lattice energy of compounds with smaller ions and higher charges, such as MgO.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the lattice energy of PbCl2?

Knowing the lattice energy of PbCl2 can be useful in understanding the properties and behavior of the compound. It can also be used in predicting the solubility and stability of the compound in different environments. Additionally, it can aid in the design and optimization of industrial processes that involve PbCl2, such as in the production of lead-based paints or batteries.