Determine Reflexive, Transitive, Symmetric of R Relation

In summary: But I doubt it.In summary, the relation (A,B) in R is defined as: for every epsilon > 0, there exists a element of A and b element of B with |a-b| < epsilon. The relation is reflexive because for all a in A, |a-a| < epsilon. To show transitivity, we need to prove that for (A,B), (B,C) in R, (A,C) is also in R. To show symmetry or anti-symmetry, we need to prove that if (A,B) is in R, then (B,A) is also in R or not, respectively. It is not necessary to confirm if sets A and B are mutually exclusive.
DevNeil

Homework Statement

Determine if the following relation is reflexive, transitive, symmetric or anti-symmetric.
(A,B) element of R(relation) if for every epsilon > 0, there exists a element of A and b element of B with |a-b| < epsilon.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already proved that this is a reflexive relation (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Let (A,B) be in R.
Prove that (A,A) is also in R.
NTS: For all a element of A and b element of A, |a-b| < epsilon ; epsilon>0
Proof:
Let a be element of A and b element of A (also).
|a E A - b E A| ?< epsilon
for simplicity we can write it: |a-a| < epsilon, which is true for all a and b because there's a chance that a and b will be equal since they're taken in the same set. We are sure that 0 < epsilon because epsilon > 0 by our assumption.

Now, how can I show that this is also transitive? and symmetric or antisymmetric?
Minor question, do I need to confirm that sets A and B are mutually exclusive to each other?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
DevNeil said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the following relation is reflexive, transitive, symmetric or anti-symmetric.
(A,B) element of R(relation) if for every epsilon > 0, there exists a element of A and b element of B with |a-b| < epsilon.

You haven't told us what A and B are. One might guess they are (non-empty?) subsets of the real numbers. Is that right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I already proved that this is a reflexive relation (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Let (A,B) be in R.
Prove that (A,A) is also in R.
NTS: For all a element of A and b element of A, |a-b| < epsilon ; epsilon>0
To prove R is reflexive you need to show (A,A) in R for all A. You don't start with "Let (A,B) in R".
Proof:
Let a be element of A and b element of A (also).
|a E A - b E A| ?< epsilon
for simplicity we can write it: |a-a| < epsilon, which is true for all a and b because there's a chance that a and b will be equal since they're taken in the same set. We are sure that 0 < epsilon because epsilon > 0 by our assumption.

That is a very confused paragraph. All you need to write is: Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##. Pick any a in A (A is non-empty?). ##|a - a|=0 < \epsilon## so (A,A) is in R.
Now, how can I show that this is also transitive? and symmetric or antisymmetric?

Write down carefully what you need to prove as a first step. If it seems reasonable, try to prove it, otherwise see if you can make a counterexample.
Minor question, do I need to confirm that sets A and B are mutually exclusive to each other?
Thanks.

Who knows? Like I said above, you haven't even told us what A and B are.

Last edited:

1. What is a reflexive relation?

A reflexive relation is a type of relation in which each element in a set is related to itself. In other words, (a, a) is a part of the relation for all elements a in the set. This is represented as aRb, where a and b are the same element.

2. How do you determine if a relation is reflexive?

To determine if a relation is reflexive, you can look at each element in the set and see if it is related to itself. If every element in the set is related to itself, then the relation is reflexive. Another way to check is to see if the relation contains the ordered pairs (a, a) for every element a in the set.

3. What is a transitive relation?

A transitive relation is a type of relation in which if (a, b) and (b, c) are part of the relation, then (a, c) must also be a part of the relation. This means that if there is a relationship between a and b, and b and c, then there is also a relationship between a and c.

4. How can you determine if a relation is transitive?

To determine if a relation is transitive, you can look at each pair of elements in the relation and see if there is a transitive relationship between them. If for every pair (a, b) and (b, c) in the relation, there is also a pair (a, c), then the relation is transitive.

5. What does it mean for a relation to be symmetric?

A symmetric relation is a type of relation in which if (a, b) is part of the relation, then (b, a) is also part of the relation. This means that the order of the elements does not matter in determining the relation.