Determine the matrices that represent the following rotations of R^3

In summary, for part $(b)$, the matrix representation of the rotation with angle $2\pi/3$ about the axis containing the vector $(1,1,1)^t$ is correct. It can be verified by multiplying the matrix with the axis and a perpendicular vector, as both resulting vectors have the expected properties.
kalish1
I need to determine the matrix that represents the following rotation of $R^3$.

(a) angle $\theta$, the axis $e_2$

(b) angle $2\pi/3$, axis contains the vector $(1,1,1)^t$

(c) angle $\pi/2$, axis contains the vector $(1,1,0)^t$

Now, I would like to check if I got the right answers because this problem has been quite difficult for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please forgive me for skipping the work because formatting matrices is a real pain. Especially when I have a lot of them.

For part $(a)$, I got that $(e_2,e_3,e_1)$ is an orthonormal basis of $R^3$. Then after simplification, the matrix is

$$
\begin{matrix}
\cos(\theta) & 0 & \sin(\theta) \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
-\sin(\theta) & 0 & \cos(\theta) \\
\end{matrix}
$$

For part $(b)$, I got an orthonormal basis as $\{[1/\sqrt(3), 1/\sqrt(3), 1/\sqrt(3)]^t, [1/\sqrt(2),-1/\sqrt(2),0]^t,[1/\sqrt(6),1/\sqrt(6),-2/\sqrt(6)]^t\}$.

Then after simplification, the matrix is $$
\begin{matrix}
-\sqrt(3)/2 & 0 & -1/2 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
1/2 & 0 & -\sqrt(3)/2 \\
\end{matrix}
$$

Is what I have done so far correct such that I can proceed with part $(c)$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Part a is correct. I always point people to this web site for rotations about arbitrary axes. In your case, since your axis for part b and your axis for part c go through the origin, you won't need Steps 1 or 7, and you can also lop off the fourth column and fourth row of the remaining necessary matrices.

kalish said:
I need to determine the matrix that represents the following rotation of $R^3$.

(a) angle $\theta$, the axis $e_2$

For part $(a)$, I got that $(e_2,e_3,e_1)$ is an orthonormal basis of $R^3$. Then after simplification, the matrix is

$$
\begin{bmatrix}
\cos(\theta) & 0 & \sin(\theta) \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
-\sin(\theta) & 0 & \cos(\theta) \\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Correct. :)
(b) angle $2\pi/3$, axis contains the vector $(1,1,1)^t$

For part $(b)$, I got an orthonormal basis as $\{[1/\sqrt(3), 1/\sqrt(3), 1/\sqrt(3)]^t, [1/\sqrt(2),-1/\sqrt(2),0]^t,[1/\sqrt(6),1/\sqrt(6),-2/\sqrt(6)]^t\}$.

Then after simplification, the matrix is $$
\begin{bmatrix}
-\sqrt(3)/2 & 0 & -1/2 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
1/2 & 0 & -\sqrt(3)/2 \\
\end{bmatrix}
$$

Is what I have done so far correct such that I can proceed with part $(c)$?

Your orthonormal basis is correct.

But let's see...
The axis is invariant.
What do you get if you multiply your matrix by the axis (1,1,1)?
Is it (1,1,1)?

Furthermore, (1,-1,0) is perpendicular to the axis.
So if I multiply the matrix with it, I should get a vector that makes an angle of $2\pi/3$.
Put otherwise, the dot product should be $\sqrt 2 \cdot \sqrt 2 \cdot \cos(2\pi/3) = -1$.
Is it?
Moreover, that vector should also be perpendicular to the axis (1,1,1). Is it?

Related to Determine the matrices that represent the following rotations of R^3

1. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a 3x3 matrix that represents a rotation around an axis in 3-dimensional space. It is used to describe the orientation of an object after it has been rotated.

2. How do you determine the matrix for a rotation in 3-dimensional space?

To determine the matrix for a rotation in 3-dimensional space, you first need to identify the axis of rotation and the angle of rotation. Then, you can use the Rodrigues' rotation formula or the Euler-Rodrigues formula to calculate the rotation matrix.

3. What are the properties of a rotation matrix?

Some properties of a rotation matrix include: it is a square matrix, its determinant is equal to 1, its inverse is equal to its transpose, and it preserves distances and angles.

4. Can a rotation matrix represent any type of rotation in 3-dimensional space?

No, a rotation matrix can only represent rotations around a single axis. To represent a combination of rotations around different axes, multiple rotation matrices need to be multiplied together.

5. How are rotation matrices used in computer graphics and robotics?

In computer graphics, rotation matrices are used to transform the coordinates of 3D objects to create the illusion of rotation. In robotics, rotation matrices are used to calculate the orientation of a robot's end-effector or to perform transformations in 3-dimensional space.