Determine Weight Percent given molecular weight....

In summary: What is the mass fraction of Ra?In summary, the alloy has a mass of 3.321*10^-24 grams and a mass fraction of Li of 0.51.
hdp12

Homework Statement

So for my homework assignment in 'Materials Science and Engineering', We were given the following problem.

1. Li and Ra both are both BCC metals. For this problem assume they form a complete solid solution (even though the very large difference in their atomic size tell us they will not form a complete solid solution). We want to make a solid solution in which half the atoms in the solid solution (by counting) are Li and the other half of the atoms (by counting) are Ra.

a. Calculate the wt% of Li and Ra needed to make this alloy. This corresponds to weighing out the Li and Ra to make the alloy.

Useful data:
Li: MW = 6.941 g/mole r = 0.53 g/cm3
Ra: MW = 226.0254 g/mole r = 5.00 g/cm3

Homework Equations

wt%=(m1 / m1 + m2)(100 wt%)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to do it because we were given molecular weight but we need literal mass. My first instinct was that you simply halve both molecular weights and plug those numbers into the formula.
Then I started analyzing the wording and think the fact that it's BCC is important as well as how it explicitly states (by counting)
Could someone just lead me in the right direction please? I appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
hdp12 said:

Homework Statement

So for my homework assignment in 'Materials Science and Engineering', We were given the following problem.

1. Li and Ra both are both BCC metals. For this problem assume they form a complete solid solution (even though the very large difference in their atomic size tell us they will not form a complete solid solution). We want to make a solid solution in which half the atoms in the solid solution (by counting) are Li and the other half of the atoms (by counting) are Ra.

a. Calculate the wt% of Li and Ra needed to make this alloy. This corresponds to weighing out the Li and Ra to make the alloy.

Useful data:
Li: MW = 6.941 g/mole r = 0.53 g/cm3
Ra: MW = 226.0254 g/mole r = 5.00 g/cm3

Homework Equations

wt%=(m1 / m1 + m2)(100 wt%)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to do it because we were given molecular weight but we need literal mass. My first instinct was that you simply halve both molecular weights and plug those numbers into the formula.
Then I started analyzing the wording and think the fact that it's BCC is important as well as how it explicitly states (by counting)
Could someone just lead me in the right direction please? I appreciate it
You are given the molar masses for Li and Ra. The molar mass for each element contains the same number of atoms. What is this famous number?

Suppose you wish to make a sample of Li-Ra alloy which contains N atoms total. You know that N/2 atoms are Li and N/2 atoms are Ra.

SteamKing said:
You are given the molar masses for Li and Ra. The molar mass for each element contains the same number of atoms. What is this famous number?

Suppose you wish to make a sample of Li-Ra alloy which contains N atoms total. You know that N/2 atoms are Li and N/2 atoms are Ra.

That was actually my other attempt before I decided to post. I divided the atoms in a BCC cell by Avogadro's number and got 3.321*10^-24 Mol
Then I was going to multiply that by each molecular weight, respectively, to get their masses
I just didn't want to follow that thread and be sure of it when I wasn't positive

Is that correct?

Take as a basis 1 mole each of Li and Ra. What is the mass of the Li? What is the mass of the Ra? What is the total mass? What is the mass fraction of Li?

What is weight percent?

Weight percent is a measurement of the mass of a particular substance in a mixture or solution, expressed as a percentage of the total mass of the solution.

How do you calculate weight percent?

To calculate weight percent, you need to know the mass of the substance of interest and the total mass of the solution. Then, divide the mass of the substance by the total mass and multiply by 100 to get the percentage.

Why is weight percent important in scientific research?

Weight percent is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the concentration of a substance in a solution. This information is critical for many experiments and can help determine the effectiveness of certain treatments or the composition of a sample.

How does molecular weight affect weight percent?

Molecular weight is a measure of the mass of a molecule. The higher the molecular weight of a substance, the more it will contribute to the overall weight percent of a solution. This is because larger molecules have a greater mass and therefore make up a larger percentage of the total mass of the solution.

What are some common units for expressing weight percent?

Weight percent can be expressed in various units, depending on the type of substance and the application. Some common units include parts per million (ppm), parts per billion (ppb), and percentage (%). It is important to specify the units when reporting weight percent to accurately convey the concentration of a substance.