Determining A Finite Value of Infinity

In summary, "determining a finite value of infinity" refers to the act of trying to assign a numerical value to a quantity that is typically considered boundless or uncountable. Whether or not it is possible to determine a finite value of infinity depends on the context and the specific type of infinity being considered. Examples of attempts to determine a finite value of infinity include Zeno's paradoxes and the development of calculus. However, a finite value of infinity can never be considered exact or accurate due to the nature of infinity. This concept is important because it challenges our understanding of the universe and forces us to think critically about the limitations of our knowledge and methods of measurement.
willr12
okay...if you accept that the sequence
1+2+3+4...=-1/12,
I think I have determined a finite value of infinity.
To find the value of the sums of all natural numbers up to a number, you can use the equation
((x^2)+x)/2.
An example would be 4.
4+3+2+1=10.
((4^2)+4)/2 also equals 10.
following this logic,
((x^2)+x)/2=-1/12
is true for the above sequence. this can be rearranged to
(x^2)+x+1/6
This is the resulting quadratic equation. Using the quadratic formula, one obtains the x intercepts as
(-3+-(sqrt3))/6.
and since x is infinity in this situation (since the highest value is infinity), the x intercepts are the values of infinity in the equation. Therefore, by assigning a value of -1/12 to riemann zeta(-1), you also assign finite values to infinity, approximately
and
If there is any faulty reasoning, please remember I'm 15 and I most likely have no clue what I'm talking about.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
willr12 said:
I think I have determined a finite value of infinity...
Since this is a contraction in terms, I stopped reading right there.

willr12 said:
1+2+3+4...=-1/12,
I think I have determined a finite value of infinity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_series

There is no sum of the integers from one to infinity. The series is divergent. The assignment of the value -1/12 as the "sum" of this series does not correspond to anything which you should regard as being an actual sum.

phinds said:
Since this is a contraction in terms, I stopped reading right there.
Most people would stop reading when someone says that 1+2+3...=-1/12, that's counterintuitive but generally accepted...so thanks for the ignorance

jbriggs444 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divergent_series

There is no sum of the integers from one to infinity. The series is divergent. The assignment of the value -1/12 as the "sum" of this series does not correspond to anything which you should regard as being an actual sum.
Makes sense

willr12 said:
1+2+3+4...=-1/12,

No. The series 1+2+3+... is divergent. So it is infinite.
It's Zeta regularization has value -1/12.
That is not the same thing as claiming that the series is "equal" to -1/12

To find the value of the sums of all natural numbers up to a number, you can use the equation
((x^2)+x)/2.
An example would be 4.
4+3+2+1=10.
((4^2)+4)/2 also equals 10.
following this logic,
((x^2)+x)/2=-1/12
is true for the above sequence.

I fail to see how. Just because a statement is true for finite values of x does not mean it is valid for infinite values of x. You need to prove that "((x^2)+x)/2=-1/12" is a valid statement for some x. You have not.

and since x is infinity in this situation (since the highest value is infinity), the x intercepts are the values of infinity in the equation.

This is not possible because (1) infinity is not a real number, (2) infinite values cannot be manipulated in the same way as finite values.

If there is any faulty reasoning

Unfortunately, everything.

pwsnafu said:
I fail to see how. Just because a statement is true for finite values of x does not mean it is valid for infinite values of x. You need to prove that "((x^2)+x)/2=-1/12" is a valid statement for some x. You have not.
This is not possible because (1) infinity is not a real number, (2) infinite values cannot be manipulated in the same way as finite values.
Good to know. Thanks for the reply

willr12 said:
Most people would stop reading when someone says that 1+2+3...=-1/12, that's counterintuitive but generally accepted ...
No, as has been pointed out, it is NOT generally accepted.

phinds said:
No, as has been pointed out, it is NOT generally accepted.
It is generally accepted as a representation of Riemann zeta (-1)

willr12 said:
It is generally accepted as a representation of Riemann zeta (-1)

No you have this backwards.
##\zeta(-1)## is a possible regularization of ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n##.
##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} n## is not a representation of ##\zeta(-1)##.
Regularization and representation are separate concepts.

pwsnafu said:
Y-value of the vertex in the resulting quadratic equation is -1/12. Any significance do you think?
pwsnafu said:
No you have this backwards.
##\zeta(-1)## is a possible regularization of ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n##.
##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} n## is not a representation of ##\zeta(-1)##.
Regularization and representation are separate concepts.
good to know thanks

willr12 said:
1+2+3+4...=-1/12

I don't.

This thread has run its course, so I'm closing it.

1. What is meant by "determining a finite value of infinity"?

"Determining a finite value of infinity" refers to the concept of finding a specific, finite number that represents an infinite quantity. In other words, it involves trying to assign a numerical value to a quantity that is typically considered boundless or uncountable.

2. Is it possible to determine a finite value of infinity?

It depends on the context and the specific type of infinity being considered. In some cases, such as with infinite series or limits in calculus, a finite value can be calculated or approximated. However, in other cases, such as with the concept of the infinite universe, a finite value may not be applicable or possible.

3. What are some examples of attempts to determine a finite value of infinity?

One example is the ancient Greek philosopher Zeno's paradoxes, which attempted to prove that motion and change were impossible by using the concept of infinity. Another example is the development of calculus, which involves calculating limits and infinite series to find finite values for otherwise infinite quantities.

4. Can a finite value of infinity ever be considered exact or accurate?

No, because infinity is a concept that is fundamentally beyond the realm of finite numbers and measurements. Any attempt to assign a finite value to infinity will always involve some level of approximation or limitation.

5. Why is the concept of determining a finite value of infinity important?

The concept of infinity and the attempts to assign a finite value to it have played a significant role in the development of mathematics and philosophy. It challenges our understanding of the universe and forces us to think critically about the limitations of our knowledge and methods of measurement.