Determining energy from spring arrangements (parallel&series)

In summary: A: Point of attachment to the projectile B: Point of attachment to the carriage C: Point of attachment to the block and tackle
R_Rose
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the difference between applying different extremes in spring arraingement for tension applications parallel'd, series and mix of them.I have some springs which are about 18” long and stretch to 30”, so they stretch 12”. If 8 springs are available and the use is set up similar to how a cross bow launches something – the springs contract, pulling a cable that connects to a carriage/carrier, launching something (there is probably a pulley to change direction by 45-90 degrees). I'm trying to see how 3 different configurations would work.

Option
A: 8 in parallel – total stretch 12”
B: 4 in series – 2 parallel sets – total stretch 48”
C: 8 in series – total stretch 96”

Examples of use: Launching drone airplane (say 15bs), shoot spear of some kind (3lbs), Launch steel ball – shot put (12lbs)

I saw that the springs are rated at 4,300 N/m which seems pretty high to me, and I'm not sure if it is accurate or not.

I can obviously see that Option A will accelerate quickly over short distance while C will be slower over longer distance. What I'm interested in is the relationship between the two, and what happens in between. Also, when changing the weight of the item from 3-15lbs, how does this effect things (obviously the heavier will accelerate slower and not travel as far) is the travel distance a linear relationship.

I'm also wondering how using something like a block and tackle to increase travel distance of the carriage – if I were to use 8 in parallel and 4 pulleys on the tackle (so energy should be the same as option B – is that correct??)

I hope I've made my questions clear and you can see what I am trying to get at with this. If you need something made more clear, please let me know. Thanks for any help you can provide on this!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a few basics about stretching springs would help you on your way with this.
This hyperphysics link is brief and to the point. It will also tell you the energy stored in a spring. (SI units, I'm afraid). The Spring Constant k is the stiffness.
For different arrangements of (identical) springs you can work on the principles. For n springs in series, they have the same tension and n times the extension of a single spring under the same tension and, for n springs in parallel, they will have 1/n times the extension for the same load as for a single spring or the total load needs to be n times that for a single spring.
You start with your initial spring arrangement and values of, say tension and k and that will tell you your extension and the stored Energy.
You can convert the stored energy (Potential Energy) and equate it to the Kinetic Energy of the projectile mv2/2 and that will tell you its final speed. The acceleration will be greatest when the tension is greatest (Force = Mass X Acceleration - from Newton's 2nd Law)
There is another issue. If you are contemplating a block and tackle to increase the speed, the efficiency of the pulley system will be very relevant and it may be better to avoid that arrangement. This is why they used to use a long arm on a Ballista, which gives you distance multiplication without much Energy loss. (Except of course the wasted energy in accelerating the lever itself! You can never win) Modern blocks may be a lot better than what The Romans had available.
If all this is for a practical project then you should read around the development of Throwing Weapons. The problems were identified and solved many hundreds of years ago.

Likes R_Rose
R_Rose said:
if I were to use 8 in parallel and 4 pulleys on the tackle (so energy should be the same as option B – is that correct??)

If all springs are stretched to their maximum length then the stored in all three options would be the same. The energy stored in 8 batteries doesn't change if they are connected in series or parallel or any combination.

If the spring constant for one spring is k then the spring constant for each option is:

A: 8k
B: k/2
C: k/8

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_springs

The energy stored in a is 0.5kx2 where k is the spring constant and x the extension. If xmax is the max extension of one spring (eg 12")then the energy stored for each option becomes..

A: 0.5(8k)(xmax)2 = 4kxmax2
B: 0.5(k/2)(4xmax)2 = 4kxmax2
C: 0.5(k/8)(8xmax)2 = 4kxmax2

So if all the individual springs are stretched the same then all three combinations store the same energy. So with some assumptions it would be reasonable to expect all three to launch the projectile with the same velocity.

The force needed to stretch each spring is kx. So the force produced at maximum extension for the three options would be..

A: (8k)xmax = 8kxmax
B: (k/2)(4xmax) = 2kxmax
C: (k/8)(8xmax) = kxmax

So the block and tackle would have to be 8 times stronger for option A than C. That's what you would expect.

Newton says F=ma or a =F/m so although the launch speed should be similar the acceleration will be different for each option. Again that's what you would expect because each has a different distance over which to get the projectile up to the same launch velocity.

Think I have all those numbers correct.

Likes R_Rose

1. How do you determine the total energy in a parallel spring arrangement?

To determine the total energy in a parallel spring arrangement, you need to calculate the energy stored in each individual spring and then add them together. This can be done by using the formula E = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. What is the difference between parallel and series spring arrangements?

In a parallel spring arrangement, each spring is connected to the same two points and they share the load, while in a series spring arrangement, the springs are connected end to end and they individually support the load. This results in different equations for calculating the total energy in each arrangement.

3. How does the number of springs in a series arrangement affect the total energy?

In a series spring arrangement, the total energy is directly proportional to the number of springs. This means that as the number of springs increases, the total energy also increases. This is because each spring is adding its own energy to the system.

4. Is the spring constant the same for each spring in a parallel arrangement?

No, the spring constant can vary for each individual spring in a parallel arrangement. This is because each spring may have different physical properties, such as material or thickness, which can affect its stiffness and therefore its spring constant.

5. Can the total energy in a spring arrangement be negative?

Yes, the total energy in a spring arrangement can be negative. This occurs when the displacement from the equilibrium position is negative, meaning the spring is compressed rather than stretched. In this case, the energy stored in the spring is negative, indicating that work is being done on the spring rather than by the spring.