Determining Missing Trigonometric Ratios

In summary, when trying to solve for cotangent of cosine of -1/2, use the relationships between trigonometric functions to get there.
Euler2718
I'm not stuck per say, but I need to know if I have the right idea for solving the rest of these questions.

1. Homework Statement

For the following given trigonometric ratio and domain, determine the missing trigonometric ratio.

Homework Equations

[tex] cos\theta = -\frac{1}{2} , \frac{\pi}{2}\leq \theta < \pi [/tex] find [tex]cot\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do these normally, it's just the "find other trig. ratio" tacked on the end that's sort of distorting me. My attempt was finding the reference angle of the trig. value which turned out to be...

[tex] \theta_{r} = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right) = \frac{\pi}{3} [/tex]

Now, the question is looking for cotangents. Because the original (cosine) was negative, I postulate that you would be looking for negative cotangents in the restriction given (not negative angles, but negative relative to the quadrant). Thus in quadrant two, the answer would be

[tex] \pi - \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{2\pi}{3} [/tex]

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
An alternative scheme would be to recognize the triangle whose cosine is -1/2 and from there construct the cot without the need of getting the angle.

Likes Euler2718
Morgan Chafe said:
I'm not stuck per say, but I need to know if I have the right idea for solving the rest of these questions.

1. Homework Statement

For the following given trigonometric ratio and domain, determine the missing trigonometric ratio.

Homework Equations

[tex] cos\theta = -\frac{1}{2} , \frac{\pi}{2}\leq \theta < \pi [/tex] find [tex]cot\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do these normally, it's just the "find other trig. ratio" tacked on the end that's sort of distorting me. My attempt was finding the reference angle of the trig. value which turned out to be...

[tex] \theta_{r} = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{1}{2}\right) = \frac{\pi}{3} [/tex]
No, ##\theta## is in the second quadrant. Once you know the angle in question, it's easy to get all of the trig functions of that angle.
Morgan Chafe said:
Now, the question is looking for cotangents. Because the original (cosine) was negative, I postulate that you would be looking for negative cotangents in the restriction given (not negative angles, but negative relative to the quadrant). Thus in quadrant two, the answer would be

[tex] \pi - \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{2\pi}{3} [/tex]

Thank you for reading.
Yes, that's the correct angle. Now find the cotangent.

Likes Euler2718
It would be better to solve cos-1(-1/2) for the given range before worrying about the cotangent. If cos-1(x) = A, what is the general expression for cos-1(-x)?
Another approach is not to determine the angle at all. Just use the relationships between trig functions to go from cos to cot.

(and the Latin expression is per se)

Likes Euler2718
Okay, I think I understand now. Thank you all who posted.

1. What are the six trigonometric functions?

The six trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cosecant (csc), secant (sec), and cotangent (cot). These functions represent the ratios between the sides of a right triangle.

2. How do I determine the missing trigonometric ratios?

To determine the missing trigonometric ratios, you will need to know at least two of the following: the measure of an angle, the length of one side of a right triangle, or the value of one of the trigonometric functions. You can then use trigonometric identities and properties to find the missing ratios.

3. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how does it relate to trigonometric ratios?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is often used in conjunction with trigonometric ratios to find missing sides or angles in a right triangle.

4. Can I use a calculator to determine missing trigonometric ratios?

Yes, most scientific calculators have buttons for the six trigonometric functions, making it easy to find the missing ratios. Just make sure your calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the correct inverse function if needed.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when determining missing trigonometric ratios?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for special triangles (such as 30-60-90 or 45-45-90 triangles) which have exact values for their trigonometric ratios. It's also important to be careful with units (degrees or radians) and to use the correct inverse function when necessary.