Determining OH- and pH of a weak base

In summary, the question was to determine the [OH-] and pH of a solution that is 0.210 M in HCO3-. The equation HCO3- + H20 --> H2CO3 + OH- was used, along with the Kb value for HCO3- (1.7 x 10^-9). The resulting Kb equation was x^2 / (.21-x) = 1.7 x 10^-9, and solving for x gave a concentration of 1.9 x 10^-5 for both H2CO3 and OH-. However, this is not the correct answer due to the substance being amphirotic. Both dissociation and hydrolysis must be taken
dnt
the question is simply to determine the [OH-] and pH of a solution that is .210 M in HCO3-

first of all if i can get [OH-] then i can easily get pH by converting [OH-] to [H+] and then doing the -log[H+] so that part is easy. i just cannot get [OH-]

what i did was first write the equation:

HCO3- + H20 --> H2CO3 + OH-

and use the Kb value for HCO3- which I looked up to be 1.7 x 10^-9

then used .21-x for the concentration of HCO3- and x to be the concentrations of both H2CO3 and OH-

then using the Kb equation I got:

x^2 / (.21-x) = 1.7 x 10^-9

solving for x = 1.9 x 10^-5

shouldnt that be [OH-]? but its not correct. can someone show me what mistake i made? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have correctly set up the equilibrium expression and solved for the concentration of OH-. However, the concentration of OH- should be 1.9 x 10^-5 M, not just 1.9 x 10^-5. The units for concentration are usually given in moles per liter, so the final answer should be [OH-] = 1.9 x 10^-5 M. This means that the pH of the solution would be 4.72, calculated by taking the negative log of the [H+] concentration, which can be found by using the equation [H+] = Kw / [OH-], where Kw is the ionization constant for water (1.0 x 10^-14 at 25°C). So, in summary, the [OH-] of the solution is 1.9 x 10^-5 M and the pH is 4.72. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units.

Related to Determining OH- and pH of a weak base

What is a weak base?

A weak base is a substance that partially ionizes in water, producing fewer hydroxide (OH-) ions compared to a strong base. This results in a lower pH level.

How do you determine the OH- concentration of a weak base?

To determine the OH- concentration of a weak base, you can use the equilibrium constant expression for its ionization in water. This involves setting up an ICE (Initial, Change, Equilibrium) table and solving for the concentration of hydroxide ions.

What is the relationship between OH- and pH?

OH- and pH have an inverse relationship, meaning that as the concentration of OH- ions increases, the pH level decreases. This is because OH- ions are basic and can neutralize the acidic hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, leading to a higher pH level.

What factors affect the pH of a weak base?

The pH of a weak base is affected by its concentration, the strength of the base, and the presence of other substances that can react with hydroxide ions. Temperature can also play a role in the pH level of a weak base.

What are some common examples of weak bases?

Some common examples of weak bases include ammonia (NH3), calcium carbonate (CaCO3), and sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). These substances have a lower pH compared to strong bases, such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and potassium hydroxide (KOH).