Determining the period of a pendulum with an accelerometer

In summary, the conversation discusses using an accelerometer to collect data on a swinging object and determining the period of the swing. The person suggests using a Fourier transform, while also mentioning their high school Physics class project involving a robotic person on a playground swing. The goal is to improve the timing of the swing's motions using the accelerometer data.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've got an accelerometer swinging back and forth on a string collecting data. But because of the tolerance of the accelerometer, the data is not quite clean enough to simply determine when positive turns to negative, or passes through equilibrium.

Here's the data. (arbitrary reading vs. time in milliseconds). It's easy to eyeball and see that the period is roughly 1.2 seconds. What kind of logic can I give my code so it doesn't get confused by the outliers?
pendulumdata.GIF

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried just doing a Fourier transform?

Thanks, I think that's a step in the right direction. I haven't done one since college so I'm rusty at it.

A little background...
I teach high school Physics.

Earlier this year our school got a few 3d printers. My students and I are together learning how to design things. I thought it would be fun to build a robotic person on a playground swing. Our "swingman" can lean his torso and kick his lower legs. We time his period unpowered with a stopwatch and then code that into an Arduino which tells him how often to pump.

It would be nicer if "swingman" could figure that out on his own. We're guessing that we could get more amplitude if the timing were better. The forward motion and backwards motion should have slightly different periods, as his center of mass changes. And as the amplitude gets larger, it becomes a factor in the period. So I'm trying to use the accelerometer to get better timing of his motions.

Here's a Youtube of the setup:

Likes 256bits

1. How does an accelerometer measure the period of a pendulum?

An accelerometer measures the acceleration of an object in a certain direction. When attached to a pendulum, it can measure the acceleration due to gravity as the pendulum swings back and forth. By analyzing the acceleration data over time, the period of the pendulum can be determined.

2. What is the relationship between the period of a pendulum and its length?

The period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. However, the length of the pendulum does not affect the acceleration due to gravity, which remains constant.

3. Can an accelerometer accurately measure the period of a pendulum?

Yes, an accelerometer can accurately measure the period of a pendulum. However, the accuracy may be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction, and the precision of the accelerometer's measurements. It is important to minimize these external influences to obtain the most accurate results.

4. Is there a specific type of accelerometer that is best for measuring the period of a pendulum?

There are different types of accelerometers available, but any type that can measure the acceleration due to gravity should be suitable for determining the period of a pendulum. The most important factor is the accuracy and precision of the accelerometer's measurements.

5. How can the period of a pendulum be calculated from accelerometer data?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated by using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By analyzing the acceleration data from the accelerometer, the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity can be determined, and thus the period can be calculated.