Deuterium in Well Water: Is It Different from Sea Water?

• Thread starter MattMaxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Deuterium
In summary, the conversation discusses the abundance of deuterium in seawater and whether it differs from the water found in one's well. It is noted that the deuterium abundance may vary locally and that the ratio of deuterium to hydrogen is typically consistent in different forms of water. However, the isotopes can be fractionated and this can affect the strength of hydrogen bonds.
MattMaxwell
I think I read that Deuterium was 1 in 6194k hydrogen molecules in SEA water. Is there a difference in the water I pump in my well water at home? Just curious because it seems well mixed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I intended 1 in 6194 molecules of hydrogen, as appose to 1 in 6194k molecules. Oops

MattMaxwell said:
I think I read that Deuterium was 1 in 6194k hydrogen molecules in SEA water. Is there a difference in the water I pump in my well water at home? Just curious because it seems well mixed.
Are you asking if the deuterium abundance in one's well water is the same or different from seawater?

The probably should be close given that groundwater, water in streams and rivers, and water in lakes and oceans cycle through each other. Water evaporates from bodies of water such as oceans, lakes, rivers, etc. and precipitates as rain. The rain falls over the aforementioned bodies of water as well as on land. Water on land drains into streams, lakes and rivers, and into groundwater reservoirs or aquifers. The deuterium is well mixed.

The Wikipedia article on deuterium indicates that the abundance may vary locally. "The abundance of deuterium changes slightly from one kind of natural water to another (see Vienna Standard Mean Ocean Water)." from the introduction at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium
See also - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium#Abundance

Astronuc said:
Water evaporates from bodies of water such as oceans, lakes, rivers, etc. and precipitates as rain.

And the isotopes are fractionated. The vapour that evaporates from bodies of water has different deuterium content than water left behind in the body. The water precipitated as rain has different deuterium content than vapour left behind in air.

snorkack said:
And the isotopes are fractionated.
Yes, but the ratio is 1 D atom per 6419 or 6420 atoms, and the atoms are usually combined as in HDO. The ratio should be much the same in ocean, clouds, groundwater.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
and the atoms are usually combined as in HDO. The ratio should be much the same in ocean, clouds, groundwater.
It isn´t. HDO is heavier than H2O, and more importantly gives one stronger hydrogen bond.

1. What is deuterium and how is it different from regular hydrogen?

Deuterium is a stable isotope of hydrogen that contains one proton and one neutron in its nucleus, instead of just one proton like regular hydrogen. This makes it slightly heavier than regular hydrogen and affects its chemical and physical properties.

2. How does deuterium end up in well water?

Deuterium is naturally occurring and can be found in small amounts in all water sources, including well water. It is formed through natural processes such as nuclear reactions in stars and cosmic rays interacting with water molecules in the atmosphere.

3. Is there a significant difference between the amount of deuterium in well water and sea water?

Yes, there is a difference in the amount of deuterium between well water and sea water. The average amount of deuterium in well water is around 100-150 parts per million (ppm), while the average amount in sea water is around 155-160 ppm.

4. Does the presence of deuterium in well water affect its taste or health benefits?

The presence of deuterium in well water does not significantly affect its taste or health benefits. Some studies suggest that water with a lower deuterium concentration may have potential health benefits, but more research is needed to confirm this.

5. Can deuterium in well water be removed or altered?

Yes, deuterium can be removed or altered through a process called deuterium depletion. This involves using a specialized filtration system or distillation process to remove or reduce the amount of deuterium in water. However, this process is expensive and not necessary for most individuals.