Developing Essential Skills for Entry-Level Work in Computer Engineering

• Thread starter Boolean Boogey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graduate
In summary, it is important to develop skills in entry level engineering positions, and internships are a great way to gain experience.
Boolean Boogey
What skills should I focus on developing for when I graduate? I have experience with various controllers, PID loop tuning, PLC programming, I have a lot of experience with excel, etc. I'm also learning how to program in Python so that I can write custom programs to help out with mathematics permutations(for fun, I am a math geek), I'm dabbling in computer forensics (it's also helping me learn Python), I'm working towards my Net+, and I am working towards my electrical license.

I am assuming this should be enough to land me a job upon graduation but since I don't really have any experience with engineering I prefer to ask working professionals. I've never spoken with someone with a CE that works in the industry, just an EE and a Mechatronics Engineering intern, so that is why I made this thread.

I guess I am asking for direction so that upon graduation I have the experience needed to at least get a foot in the door.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boolean Boogey said:
What skills should I focus on developing for when I graduate?
In a CE curriculum, you will develop the skills you need for entry level work. Spend time working on projects that utilize those skills so that you have something to show potential employers. Internships are very helpful, as well.

Also, unless you want to work as a systems administrator, Net+ isn't really helpful.

Jaeusm said:
In a CE curriculum, you will develop the skills you need for entry level work. Spend time working on projects that utilize those skills so that you have something to show potential employers. Internships are very helpful, as well.

I may do an internship so long as it is paid. From what I have read engineering internships are paid quite well.

Jaeusm said:
Also, unless you want to work as a systems administrator, Net+ isn't really helpful.

It's just filling in a gap with my current knowledge. The knowledge gained from the Net+ is applicable towards PLC programming as well as computers. I'm fairly well versed in computer hardware but when it comes to networking my knowledge is really lacking and this has been an issue at my job since we have a number of networked PLCs.

What is the average salary for a CE graduate?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for computer engineers was $117,220 in May 2020. However, salaries can vary greatly depending on location, industry, and experience.

What job opportunities are available for CE graduates?

CE graduates can pursue a variety of career paths, including software development, network engineering, systems analysis, and more. Many industries, such as technology, healthcare, finance, and government, require the skills of computer engineers.

Do I need a graduate degree to become a CE?

While a graduate degree can provide additional knowledge and opportunities for advancement, it is not always necessary to become a CE. Many professionals in the field have a bachelor's degree in computer engineering or a related field.

What skills do I need to excel as a CE?

Some essential skills for a successful CE include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, programming knowledge, and communication skills. It is also important to stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and continuously learn and adapt to new challenges.

How can I prepare for a career as a CE while in college?

To prepare for a career as a CE, it is crucial to gain a strong foundation in math and science courses, particularly in subjects like calculus, physics, and computer science. Participating in internships, joining relevant student organizations, and completing personal projects can also help develop practical skills and build a professional network.