Dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture

• Thread starter Weissritter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixture
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving the reaction between KOH, H2O, dextrose, and methylene blue. The final result was a blue liquid that would turn transparent when shaken and then back to blue when left to rest. The group is unsure of the type of reaction taking place and speculates about the involvement of oxygen and gluconic acid in the reaction.
Weissritter
O hai, PF
So, again, I come in the seek of help. I am usually good for my level on Chemistry, but this question was too hard for me.
In the lab, we added 0.8 g of KOH and 30 ml of H2O. Then, 1g of dextrose and methylene blue.
Final results were a liquid blue mixture. Thing is, when that thing is shaked, it changed to a transparent color. After resting, it became blue again. If shaked again, it would become transparent, then, after resting, blue again and ad infinitum.
Just why did this happen? What kind of reaction was happening?
As the final data I can give, the lab report says we could also have used glucose instead of dextrose. We were, also, studying redox reactions, I'd guess this one was redox, but what was it?

Was it K2O reacting to the dextrose? Was O2 changing its oxidation state by entering and leaving the compund depending on the momentum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The dextrose (glucose by another name) is an aldehyde that is oxidized by methylene blue. The methylene blue is reduced to leucomethylene blue (colorless) as it oxidizes the dextrose to ... what? The reaction stops there except you can do something to regenerate the methylene blue. What agent might be responsible for regenerating methylene blue from the colorless (actually light yellow, BTW) leucomethylene blue? How does shaking accelerate that reaction? Hint: it has nothing to do with momentum.

After some accidental searching, I found a name. Gluconic acid that can transform to sodium gluconate. I don't have the slightest idea of how those compounds are, but they do some weird magic.
No, no that kind of magic. I mean MAGIC, in capital and everything.
Now...what? I'm sure oxygen is part of the reaction, yet I'm clueless about how it is relevant.

You are right about oxygen - shaking the solution introduces the oxygen (which otherwise is present only close to the surface), allowing reactions to start.

Based on the information provided, it sounds like you have created a momentum-sensitive mixture using dextrose as the reducing agent and methylene blue as the oxidizing agent. When the mixture is shaken, the momentum of the molecules increases, causing the reaction between dextrose and methylene blue to occur more quickly. This results in the color change from blue to transparent. When the mixture is allowed to rest, the momentum decreases and the reaction slows down, causing the color to change back to blue. This cycle can continue as long as there is still dextrose and methylene blue present in the mixture.

The addition of KOH and H2O likely acted as a catalyst for the reaction, helping to speed up the process. As for the use of glucose instead of dextrose, both are forms of sugar and can act as reducing agents in this type of reaction. Therefore, it is likely that the same reaction would occur with glucose.

In terms of the specific reaction happening, it is likely a redox reaction where dextrose (reducing agent) is being oxidized to formic acid or gluconic acid and methylene blue (oxidizing agent) is being reduced to a colorless form. Overall, this is a fascinating demonstration of the relationship between momentum and chemical reactions.

1. What is dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture?

Dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture is a type of mixture that contains dextrose as a main ingredient and is designed to be sensitive to changes in momentum. This means that the mixture can react and change its properties when subjected to force or movement.

2. What is dextrose and why is it used in this mixture?

Dextrose is a type of sugar that is commonly derived from corn. It is used in this mixture because it is a readily available and affordable source of energy. Dextrose can also provide a sticky consistency, making it useful for creating a momentum-sensitive mixture.

3. How does dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture work?

The dextrose molecules in the mixture are able to form bonds with other molecules in the mixture, creating a sticky network. When this network is subjected to force or movement, the bonds between the molecules are broken, causing the mixture to change its properties and become more fluid.

4. What are the applications of dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture?

This type of mixture has a wide range of potential applications, including industrial and medical uses. It can be used as an adhesive, a sealant, or a coating for various surfaces. In the medical field, it can be used for wound care and tissue engineering.

5. Is dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture safe to use?

Dextrose-based momentum-sensitive mixture is generally considered safe to use. Dextrose is a natural compound and is commonly found in many foods. However, as with any substance, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling and using this mixture.