Did Star Trek's Nuclear Mortar Have a Real-Life Counterpart?

• Thread starter 256bits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclear
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a nuclear explosive head in an episode of Star Trek and its similarities to a real working technological device called the Davy Crockett. The device was discontinued for service troops and other potential uses for it, such as excavation or dam building, were explored but never caught on. The conversation also mentions other "new" technologies on Star Trek that were adaptations of technology of the day, such as the "suitcase bomb" and the "atomic cannon." There were also tests conducted for the Davy Crockett, as well as other nuclear devices developed for military use, including a "suitcase bomb" and an "atomic cannon."
256bits
Gold Member
There is an episode of Star Trek where Kirk and Spock use a mortar with a nuclear explosive head against an alien threat.
At the time I had thought that it was an interesting device, but completely futuristic. But, as I have learned, it does seem that in this instance, Star Trek had copied from a real working technological device.
The device is discontinued for service troops with good reason.

In the 50's, 60's, 70's ingenious minds could come up with crafty use of such a small kilo-ton device other than military, such as espoused in magazines such as Popular Mechanics or Popular Science, such as excavation, dam building or whatever.

It never caught on as being practical or necessary. AFAIK, no Earth movement was ever tested with such a device.

I guess possible questions would be:
1. Was there ever a test for Earth movement?
2. How many other "new" technologies on Star Trek were actual adaptations of technology of the day.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)

( Half science and half fiction, so could be in the incorrect sub-topic, except for the nuclear part )

Engineering news on Phys.org
We also developed a "suitcase bomb." Actually it fit into a large backpack. The idea was that in the event of a Soviet invasion of Europe, small teams could parachute in, and destroy bridges and other structures useful to the invader, by placing the suitcase nuke next to the target. This was a quick and easy alternative to using plastic explosives. As long as the bomb went off, you were certain to destroy the target. Naturally the other side developed their own. A few years ago, during the breakup of the USSR, there was a report that some of their suitcase nukes had gone missing.

We also had an "atomic cannon." I saw an old model of this cannon in a toy store. I thought it was a joke until I looked it up. This was literally a cannon that fired a shell with a nuclear warhead. Combine this fact with the ability we have to develop ultra-long-range cannons. You would not need to fire many shells, would you?

Likes 256bits
The Davy Crockett underwent two atmospheric tests, the Little Feller II weapons effects test shot on July 7, 1962, and the Little Feller I weapons system test shot on July 17, 1962. Little Feller I was the last atmospheric nuclear test conducted at Nevada Test Site.

Here's a film reel explaining Little Feller I and showing the test shot.

David Reeves said:
We also developed a "suitcase bomb." Actually it fit into a large backpack. The idea was that in the event of a Soviet invasion of Europe, small teams could parachute in, and destroy bridges and other structures useful to the invader, by placing the suitcase nuke next to the target. This was a quick and easy alternative to using plastic explosives. As long as the bomb went off, you were certain to destroy the target. Naturally the other side developed their own. A few years ago, during the breakup of the USSR, there was a report that some of their suitcase nukes had gone missing.

That's the Special Atomic Demolition Munition.

We also had an "atomic cannon." I saw an old model of this cannon in a toy store. I thought it was a joke until I looked it up. This was literally a cannon that fired a shell with a nuclear warhead. Combine this fact with the ability we have to develop ultra-long-range cannons. You would not need to fire many shells, would you?

That's the M65 Atomic Cannon (nicknamed Atomic Annie). The W19 nuclear artillery shell was developed for the 16 inch guns of the Iowa class battleships (I think also usable by the South Dakota and North Carolina classes). Nuclear shells were developed for 8 inch and 6 inch artillery pieces shortly afterwards, but there was such rapid development of nuclear and rocketry technology in the 1950s that the systems were deemed unsuitable for use in Europe due to short range. They saw a few more years service in Korea before being retired.

Related to Did Star Trek's Nuclear Mortar Have a Real-Life Counterpart?

What is a Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar?

A Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar is a portable nuclear weapon system developed and deployed by the United States during the Cold War. It consisted of a small nuclear warhead mounted on a recoilless rifle, which could be fired from a tripod or mounted on a vehicle.

How powerful was the Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar?

The warhead used in the Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar had a yield of 10 or 20 tons of TNT, making it one of the smallest nuclear weapons ever developed. This level of explosive force was equivalent to a small conventional bomb and was designed for use against enemy troops and vehicles.

When was the Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar developed and deployed?

The Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar was developed in the late 1950s and was deployed by the United States Army in 1961. It was used until the late 1960s, when it was replaced by more advanced nuclear weapons systems.

What was the range of the Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar?

The Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar had a range of approximately 1.25 miles (2 kilometers). However, its accuracy and effectiveness were limited by its small warhead and the fact that it was a recoilless rifle rather than a traditional artillery piece.

What were the potential risks and consequences of using the Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar?

The use of the Davy Crockett Nuclear Mortar posed significant risks and consequences, both for the user and for innocent civilians. The small size of the warhead meant that it could easily be used in populated areas, resulting in high levels of civilian casualties. Additionally, the use of nuclear weapons in any capacity could have potentially escalated into a full-scale nuclear war.