Diffeomorphism of a disk and a square?

In summary, Lavinia was trying to say that an isomorphism between two spaces (a disk and a square) is given by an isomorphism between their respective tangent spaces. The tangent space of the square (which in this case is just the derivative, being 1-dimensional) is not defined at the corners (using the coordinates (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1)) while the tangent space of the disk is defined at each point.
phyalan
I have trouble in showing a disk and a square is not diffeomorphic.
Intuitively, I know there is smoothness problem occurs at the corner of the square if I suppose there is a diffeomorphism between the two, but how can I explicitly write down the proof? I hope someone can provide me with some hints. Thx!

Physics news on Phys.org
phyalan said:
I have trouble in showing a disk and a square is not diffeomorphic.
Intuitively, I know there is smoothness problem occurs at the corner of the square if I suppose there is a diffeomorphism between the two, but how can I explicitly write down the proof? I hope someone can provide me with some hints. Thx!

I think just follow the tangent to the boundary circle of the disk. It will not have a limit at the corners.

No, it can have a limit, but that limit will be zero :) Therefore, the inverse isn't differentiable.

Are you here talking about a _closed_ disk and a _closed_ square, i.e. manifolds with boundaries?

Because if we talk about an _open_ disk and an _open_ square, I believed they are diffeomorphic, and that a diffeomorphism could be chosen in some clever way, using text functions. Am I mistaken here?

Phyalan:

I don't know what tools you're allowed to use, but (formalizing what I think Lavinia

was trying to say) an isomorphism between

spaces gives rise to (or, the dreaded "induces") an isomorphism between the

respective tangent spaces. The tangent space of the square (which in this case

is just the derivative, being 1-dimensional). Notice that the tangent space of the

square is not defined at the corners (using the coordinates (0,0), (0,1), (1,0), (1,1))

while the tangent space of the disk is defined at each point. I guess by the square

you are referring to the square together with its interior; otherwise, the disk is

contractible, but the square is not, so that would do it.

zhentil said:
No, it can have a limit, but that limit will be zero :) Therefore, the inverse isn't differentiable.

it can not have a limit of zero and be a diffeo - right? So i meant that the vectors approaching the corner along the boundary can not shrink to zero - so no limit

To be more specific, using the coordinates with vertices {(0,0),(0,1),(1,0), (1,1)}, find

tangent vectors along (0,y), and (x,1) , as you approach the corner, as x->0 and as

y->1 , so that the tangent vector is not defined, and then this corner point cannot be the

image of the circle under a diffeomorphism, since the tangent space is not defined therein.

1. What is a diffeomorphism of a disk and a square?

A diffeomorphism is a type of transformation between two geometric shapes that preserves the smoothness of the shapes. In the case of a disk and a square, a diffeomorphism is a continuous and bijective mapping that can transform the disk into the square and vice versa without creating any creases or sharp edges.

2. Why is the diffeomorphism of a disk and a square important?

The diffeomorphism of a disk and a square is important because it illustrates the concept of homeomorphism in topology, which is a fundamental concept in modern mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and computer-aided design.

3. How is the diffeomorphism of a disk and a square different from a simple transformation?

A diffeomorphism is a specific type of transformation that needs to satisfy certain conditions, such as being smooth and invertible, whereas a simple transformation can have discontinuities or be non-invertible. Additionally, a diffeomorphism preserves the smoothness of the shapes involved, while a simple transformation may not.

4. Can any two shapes be related by a diffeomorphism?

No, not all shapes can be related by a diffeomorphism. The shapes must have the same topological properties, such as being simply connected and having the same number of holes. For example, a circle and a square can be related by a diffeomorphism, but a circle and a torus cannot.

5. How is the diffeomorphism of a disk and a square related to the concept of homeomorphism?

A diffeomorphism is a type of homeomorphism, which is a continuous and bijective mapping between two spaces that preserves their topological properties. In the case of a disk and a square, the diffeomorphism between them is also a homeomorphism because it preserves their topological properties, such as being simply connected and having the same number of holes.