Difference between diluting and adding

In summary, c and d are different methods of preparing a 1.00 L solution of NaOH. c uses 20 g of NaOH while d uses 40 g of NaOH. The concentration in both cases is the same at 0.500 M.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

1. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and dilute to 1.00 L with water.
  2. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 1.00 L of water.

How exactly do these two statements differ? Wouldn't adding 1.00L of water to 20.0g of NaOH dilute it anyways?

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The original question was this:
Which of the following methods correctly describes the preparation of 1.00 L of an aqueous solution of 0.500 M NaOH?

a. Place 0.500 g NaOH(s) in a flask and dilute to 1.00 L with water.
b. Place 0.500 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 1.00 L of water.
c. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and dilute to 1.00 L with water.
d. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 1.00 L of water.
e. Place 40.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 500 g of water.

I was able to narrow it down to c and d (the two statements above), but I'm not sure what's the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the final concentration in both cases identical?

@Borek — I don't think I am told anything like that...

Concentration = mole / liters. In both cases I have 1L and 20g (which can easily be converted to moles by using the atomic molar mass), don't I?

The solid occupies a volume, or makes a difference to the volume of liquid that it dissolves in, so in which case do you know at the end exactly the g/L ?

@epenguin —I'm not sure if it should be obvious by now, but I'm not sure bc in both cases the solid is already in the flask (and so occupies volumes)?

OK In which case at the end of do you know exactly the volume of the solution?

Last edited:
When you fill up to 1L - what volume do you end up with?

When you add something to 1 L of water - is the final volume 1 L, or not?

JessicaHelena said:

Homework Statement

1. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and dilute to 1.00 L with water.
  2. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 1.00 L of water.

How exactly do these two statements differ? Wouldn't adding 1.00L of water to 20.0g of NaOH dilute it anyways?

Homework Equations

none?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The original question was this:
Which of the following methods correctly describes the preparation of 1.00 L of an aqueous solution of 0.500 M NaOH?

a. Place 0.500 g NaOH(s) in a flask and dilute to 1.00 L with water.
b. Place 0.500 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 1.00 L of water.
c. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and dilute to 1.00 L with water.
d. Place 20.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 1.00 L of water.
e. Place 40.0 g NaOH(s) in a flask and add 500 g of water.

I was able to narrow it down to c and d (the two statements above), but I'm not sure what's the difference between the two.
By definition, Molarity is the No. of moles of solute per unit volume of solution (in L). What inference do you draw from it?

Think about:
What does "0.5 molar" mean?
For each possible answer, How much NaOH and how much solution do you end up with?

Edit: Strange! None of these replies were visible when |I posted. So I may be irrelevant.

1. What is the difference between diluting and adding?

Diluting and adding are two different processes that are often used in scientific experiments. Diluting involves adding a solvent, typically water, to a solution in order to decrease the concentration of a solute. On the other hand, adding involves putting a substance into a solution to increase its concentration.

2. How do I know when to dilute a solution versus adding to it?

The decision to dilute or add to a solution depends on the desired concentration of the final solution. If the concentration is too high, diluting with a solvent can bring it to the desired level. If the concentration is too low, adding more of the solute can increase it. It is important to carefully measure and calculate the concentrations to determine the appropriate method.

3. Can I dilute or add any type of solute to a solution?

Not all solutes can be diluted or added to a solution. Some substances may not dissolve in the solvent or may react with other components in the solution. It is important to research the properties of the solute and solvent before attempting to dilute or add them to a solution.

4. Is there a specific ratio for diluting or adding to a solution?

The ratio for diluting or adding to a solution depends on the initial concentration and the desired final concentration. This can be calculated using the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 are the initial concentration and volume, and C2 and V2 are the final concentration and volume. It is important to carefully measure and calculate the ratios to achieve the desired concentration.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when diluting or adding to a solution?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling solvents and solutes. It is also important to carefully measure and mix the substances to avoid any spills or accidents. In addition, always dispose of chemicals properly according to safety regulations.