Difference Between Subgroup & Closed Subgroup of a Group

In summary: What do you mean here? Why should ##SO(2, \pi \mathbb{Q}) \subseteq SO(2,\mathbb{R})## be closed (see example...)?
LagrangeEuler
What is difference between subgroup and closed subgroup of the group? It is confusing to me because every group is closed.

In a book Lie groups, Lie algebras and representations by Brian C. Hall is written

"The condition that ##G## is closed subgroup, as opposed to merely a subgroup, should be regarded as technicality, in the most of interesting subgroups of ##GL(n,\mathbb{C})## have this property."

Physics news on Phys.org
- Subgroup = subgroup in the group theoretic sense.
- Closed subgroup = subgroup in the group theoretic sense and closed in the topological sense.

I don't know if the author means "Lie subgroup" with "subgroup" though.

Likes LagrangeEuler
We are speaking about topological groups here, i.e. they are topological spaces. Now a subgroup is a subset, in this case a subset of a topological space. Hence this set can be open, closed, or neither. E.g. ##GL(n)\subseteq \mathbb{M}(n)## is not closed.

Edit: ... but neither a subgroup.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
##GL(n)\subseteq \mathbb{M}(n)## is not closed.

##GL(n)## is not a subgroup of ##M(n)## (think about which group operations you're using).

An example of a non-closed subgroup of ##GL(2,\mathbb{R})## is the subgroup of rotations by rational multiples of ##\pi##.

Likes member 587159
Infrared said:
##GL(n)## is not a subgroup of ##M(n)## (think about which group operations you're using).

An example of a non-closed subgroup of ##GL(2,\mathbb{R})## is the subgroup of rotations by rational multiples of ##\pi##.
Thanks, yes. I only thought about the topology and forgot the group. Silly me.

Infrared said:

Sorry, could you please explain that. Why this subgroup is not closed?

Because you can define a sequence of rotations by rational multiples of ##\pi## which converge to a rotation to an irrational multiple of ##\pi##: ##R_\varphi \circ R_\psi = R_{\varphi +\psi}\,.## You can add rational numbers to get an irrational number as limit.

LagrangeEuler said:
Sorry, could you please explain that. Why this subgroup is not closed?

If ##X## is a topological space, a subspace ##F## is said to be closed if the complement ##X\setminus F## is open.

Let ##S## be the subgroup I defined. Let ##A## be a rotation by a irrational multiple of ##\pi##. Then ##U:=X\setminus S## is not open because even though ##A\in U##, every neighborhood of ##A## contains rotations by rational multiples of ##\pi## (since irrational numbers can be approximated to arbitrary accuracy by rational numbers).

Infrared said:
If ##X## is a topological space, a subspace ##F## is said to be closed if the complement ##X\setminus F## is open.

Let ##S## be the subgroup I defined. Let ##A## be a rotation by a irrational multiple of ##\pi##. Then ##U:=X\setminus S## is not open because even though ##A\in U##, every neighborhood of ##A## contains rotations by rational multiples of ##\pi## (since irrational numbers can be approximated to arbitrary accuracy by rational numbers).
A little remark: Open doesn't imply not closed. Some connection components which occur often in those groups as covering are both, open and closed.

I did not say "open implies not closed". I said that its complement of ##S## is not open, so by definition ##S## is not closed.

Infrared said:
I did not say "open implies not closed". I said that its complement of ##S## is not open, so by definition ##S## is not closed.
I know, I just mentioned it as the OP explicitly has asked for not closed.

fresh_42 said:
Because you can define a sequence of rotations by rational multiples of ##\pi## which converge to a rotation to an irrational multiple of ##\pi##: ##R_\varphi \circ R_\psi = R_{\varphi +\psi}\,.## You can add rational numbers to get an irrational number as limit.
I understand the point but I am not able to see that. Why if you rotate for rational multiply of ##\pi##, you will get at one point rotation for irrational multiply of ##\pi##?

Last edited:
This is probably not related, but just to point out that in a topological group an open subgroup is always closed as well.

LagrangeEuler said:
I understand the point but I am not able to see that. Why if you rotate for rational multiply of ##\pi##, you will get at one point rotation for irrational multiply of ##\pi##?
No, that is not the argument. The reasoning goes:

There are rotations ##R_{q_n \pi}## with ##q_n\in \mathbb{Q}## such that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \prod_{n=1}^\infty R_{q_n \pi}= R_{\sqrt{2}\,\pi}##. That is, there is a sequence of rotations in the subgroup which converges to a point outside the subgroup, hence it cannot be closed as we have a found limit point outside.
martinbn said:
This is probably not related, but just to point out that in a topological group an open subgroup is always closed as well.
What do you mean here? Why should ##SO(2, \pi \mathbb{Q}) \subseteq SO(2,\mathbb{R})## be closed (see example above)?

The claim was that open subgroups are also closed, ##SO(2,\pi\mathbb{Q})## is not open. For a proof, if ##H\subset G## is an open subgroup, and ##g\in G\setminus H##, then ##gH## is an open neighborhood of ##g## disjoint from from ##H##.

Likes fresh_42

What is a subgroup of a group?

A subgroup of a group is a subset of the original group that also forms a group under the same operation. This means that the subgroup contains the identity element, is closed under the operation, and every element in the subgroup has an inverse within the subgroup.

What is a closed subgroup of a group?

A closed subgroup of a group is a subgroup that is also a closed subset of the original group. This means that the subgroup contains all the limits of sequences in the subgroup, and is therefore a complete subset of the group.

What is the difference between a subgroup and a closed subgroup?

The main difference between a subgroup and a closed subgroup is that a closed subgroup must also be a closed subset of the original group, while a subgroup does not necessarily have to be closed. This means that a closed subgroup is a more restrictive subset of the group.

How do you determine if a subset is a subgroup of a group?

To determine if a subset is a subgroup of a group, you must first check if it contains the identity element. Then, you must check if it is closed under the operation, meaning that the result of any operation on two elements in the subset is also in the subset. Finally, you must check if every element in the subset has an inverse within the subset. If all three conditions are met, then the subset is a subgroup of the group.

Can a closed subgroup be an improper subgroup?

Yes, a closed subgroup can be an improper subgroup. An improper subgroup is a subgroup that is equal to the original group. This means that the subgroup contains all the elements of the group and is therefore a closed subset of the group. So, a closed subgroup can also be an improper subgroup if it meets the criteria of being a closed subset of the group.