Difference between the thermal and mechanical efficiency

In summary, there may be a difference between mechanical and thermal efficiency when discussing heat engines, but the term "mechanical efficiency" may refer to the mechanical output of a real engine rather than a thermodynamic system. The thermal efficiency of a heat engine is typically the ratio between the heat input and the work output, but the definition may vary depending on the source.
Poorneshwar 2
Hello, I'm confused between the difference between the thermal and mechanical efficiency of a Sterling heat engines or heat engines in general. I hope you could be able to guide and help me. Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think there is a difference, but I wouldn't use the term "mechanical efficiency" to refer to a thermodynamic system. Where did you hear it?

[Edit] Google tells me "mechanical efficiency" can be used to describe the mechanical output of a real engine (different from themal/thermo efficiency).

I read about the mechanical efficiency of the heat engine in this article. I think that it is the ratio between Qh(work done by the gas) and Wout(work that the heat engine has done). Am i thinking in the right way?

Also, what does thermal efficiency of a heat engine refer to?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 8.46.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 8.46.02 PM.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 74
Poorneshwar 2 said:
I read about the mechanical efficiency of the heat engine in this article. I think that it is the ratio between Qh(work done by the gas) and Wout(work that the heat engine has done). Am i thinking in the right way?
That sounds right, but your source should include the definition if it is introducing the term.
Also, what does thermal efficiency of a heat engine refer to?
I would think thermal means thermodynamic, but it is possible they are also referring to a real-world, non-ideal process. But again, the text you are reading it from should define it.

What is the difference between thermal and mechanical efficiency?

Thermal efficiency refers to the ratio of the amount of heat energy produced by a system to the amount of fuel energy consumed. Mechanical efficiency, on the other hand, refers to the ratio of the amount of useful work output to the amount of work input.

How are thermal and mechanical efficiency calculated?

Thermal efficiency is calculated by dividing the heat energy produced by the fuel energy consumed, multiplied by 100%. Mechanical efficiency is calculated by dividing the useful work output by the work input, multiplied by 100%.

What factors affect thermal and mechanical efficiency?

Thermal efficiency can be affected by factors such as the type of fuel used, the design of the system, and the operating conditions. Mechanical efficiency can be affected by factors such as friction, wear and tear, and the design of the system.

Which is more important, thermal or mechanical efficiency?

Both thermal and mechanical efficiency are important in their own ways. Thermal efficiency is important for maximizing the use of fuel and reducing waste, while mechanical efficiency is important for ensuring that the system is working effectively and producing the desired output.

How can thermal and mechanical efficiency be improved?

Thermal efficiency can be improved by using more efficient fuels, optimizing the design of the system, and maintaining proper operating conditions. Mechanical efficiency can be improved by reducing friction and wear, optimizing the design of the system, and performing regular maintenance and repairs.