Difference between the words "material" and "matter"

In summary, the difference between material and matter is that material is mass with a specific set of properties, or purpose, or identity.
planck999
Summary:: Difference between the material and matter

They look similar but I know they differ. What might be the possible difference between them? Let's discuss.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What definitions are you using for each? Why do you think there are fundamental differences between those two nouns?

Because then we wouldn't use material in different places and materials science wouldn't exist.

So far it sounds like you want to quibble about semantics. Please show the definitions of each that you are saying make them different.

planck999 said:
Summary:: Difference between the material and matter
That's immaterial, which is to say it doesn't matter.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, DaveE and berkeman
I think matter is anything that covers place in the space. But when we use them for specific purposes they become materials. Like we classify them in different ways if we take them as matter, and use another classification if we take them as materials. Matter is too much of a broad term but material has a specific purpose. Explosive material means that they explode. But there is no explosive matter, it is just that explosive material is a matter.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
planck999 said:
I think matter is
We generally don't allow "I think" as a definitive definition. Can you find standard definitions (like in a dictionary) that make them different? So far this thread is close to getting disqualified from the technical PF forums, and may end up in the Linguistics section...

Likes Bystander
PeroK said:
That's immaterial, which is to say it doesn't matter.
LOL. I was just about to page you for one of your creative Haikus... :smile:

Matter definition:physical substance in general, as distinct from mind and spirit; (in physics) that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy.
Material definition:the matter from which a thing is or can be made.

If I were to have a homework defining matter and material, I would describe matter as: Anything that is made of atoms
Material: the matter from which a thing can be made
such as corrosive materials:sodium hydroxide
explosive materials:black powder

And the difference between matter and material is that a material is a matter for specific purpose.

Is this clear enough?

Yes it matters, but that is immaterial.

• Haha
Likes phinds
Sounds like your saying material is patterned matter (atoms), presumably patterned into molecules and therefore interacting in the realm of chemistry and maybe visible (large) objects.

planck999 said:
Matter definition: physical substance in general, as distinct from mind and spirit; (in physics) that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy.
Material definition: the matter from which a thing is or can be made.
And the difference between matter and material is that a material is a matter for specific purpose.
'''
Your working definitions appear plausible. I struck through the articles in the final sentence in the above quote.

When I transitioned from military work to NASA, I retained and used the term matériel in place of material, such as matériel control or cache of matériel; i.e., supply dump. Notice the collective nature of the noun matériel obviates a plural form.

Likes dextercioby
#6 from Planck999 made the most sense.

My impression is Matter is any mass. Material is mass with a specific set of properties, or purpose, or identity. Definitions of Mass, Material, Matter; will help in deciding which word to use.

What is the difference between the words "material" and "matter"?

The word "material" refers to a substance or physical matter that can be used to create something or be shaped into something. It is often used to describe the raw materials used in manufacturing or construction. On the other hand, "matter" is a broader term that encompasses anything that has mass and takes up space. It includes both tangible and intangible substances, such as atoms, energy, and thoughts.

Can the words "material" and "matter" be used interchangeably?

No, the words "material" and "matter" cannot be used interchangeably. While they are related and often used in similar contexts, they have distinct meanings and should not be used as synonyms. "Material" is more specific and refers to a physical substance, while "matter" is a more general term that encompasses a wider range of substances and concepts.

In what ways are the words "material" and "matter" used differently in science?

In science, the word "material" is often used to describe the physical substances that make up the world around us. It is commonly used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. On the other hand, "matter" is a fundamental concept in physics and refers to anything that has mass and takes up space. It is used to explain the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

How do the words "material" and "matter" relate to each other in terms of composition?

The word "material" can refer to a single substance, such as wood or steel, while "matter" encompasses all substances, whether they are single or composed of multiple elements. In other words, all materials are matter, but not all matter is considered a material. For example, air is a type of matter, but it is not typically referred to as a material.

Are there any other meanings or contexts in which the words "material" and "matter" are used?

Yes, the words "material" and "matter" have various meanings and can be used in different contexts. For instance, "material" can also refer to information or evidence that is relevant to a situation or argument. "Matter" can also be used in a philosophical or metaphysical sense, referring to the substance of the universe or the essential nature of something. Additionally, both words can have different connotations and be used figuratively in literature and everyday language.