Difference Quotient of f(x)=1/(x-3)

In summary, the difference quotient of f(x)=1/(x-3) is a mathematical expression used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the limit of the average rate of change as the change in the input approaches zero. This is important in understanding the behavior of a function, especially near points of discontinuity. The denominator (x-3) in the given function represents a vertical asymptote, and the difference quotient can be used in real-life situations to model and analyze various processes and systems.
kendalgenevieve
Simply and find the difference quotient for f(x)= 1/(x-3)

I know the difference quotient formula is f(x+h)-f(x)/h but when I try solving it I keep getting it wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
kendalgenevieve said:
Simply and find the difference quotient for f(x)= 1/(x-3)

I know the difference quotient formula is f(x+h)-f(x)/h but when I try solving it I keep getting it wrong.

Hi kendalgenevieve!

How is it wrong?
What did you get?

Related to Difference Quotient of f(x)=1/(x-3)

What is the difference quotient of f(x)=1/(x-3)?

The difference quotient of f(x)=1/(x-3) is a mathematical expression used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is a measure of how much the output of the function changes when the input is changed by a small amount.

How is the difference quotient calculated?

The difference quotient is calculated by taking the limit of the average rate of change of the function as the change in the input approaches zero. In other words, it is the slope of the secant line between two points on the function, as those points get closer and closer together.

Why is the difference quotient important?

The difference quotient is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can help us determine the instantaneous rate of change, which is crucial in many real-world applications, such as physics and economics.

What is the significance of the denominator being (x-3) in the function f(x)=1/(x-3)?

The denominator (x-3) in the function f(x)=1/(x-3) represents the point at which the function is undefined. This is known as a vertical asymptote and indicates that the function has a discontinuity at x=3. The difference quotient helps us to understand the behavior of the function near this point of discontinuity.

How can the difference quotient be used in real-life situations?

The difference quotient can be used in real-life situations to model and analyze various processes and systems. For example, it can be used to calculate the average velocity of a moving object or the rate of change of stock prices over time. It is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems.