Differentiable implies continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with editing LaTeX code and the proof of "differentiable implies continuous." It is determined that the original proof given is incorrect and a new proof is provided, without using epsilon-delta form. The conversation also touches on the use of deltas and epsilons in rigorous proofs, but it is deemed unnecessary for this particular proof.
dmatador
ehhh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

This is really hard to read, with everything on one line, and the malformed fraction near the beginning. To make it more readable, use a pair of tex and /tex tags for each line.

It wasn't responding to any of the changes I was making to the Latex code and I gave up. I'm not sure what was wrong. And it wasn't a homework problem. I've never taken analysis. I was just wondering if this proof works after reading the theorem.

Often you will find that you need to click on your web-reader's "refresh" button when you edit LaTex. Why it doesn't refresh when you save the edit, I don't know.

I cannot, of course, see what you have deleted so I cannot directly answer your question (which apparently is about a specific proof that "differentiable implies continuous") but I can say this:
f(x) is differentiable at x= a if and only if
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+ h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]
exists. Since the denominator necessarily goes to 0, in order that the limit exist, the numerator must also go to 0: we must have
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0} f(a+h)- f(a)= 0[/tex]
If we let a+h= x then as h goes to 0, x goes to a so that is the same as
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)- f(a)= 0[/tex]

which is the same as
[tex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)= f(a)[/tex]
For that to be true, we must have
1) [itex]\lim_{x\to a} f(x)[/itex] exist
2) f(a) exist
3) the two are equal
which is precisely the definition of "continuous at x= a".

[tex]
f'(c) = \lim_{x\to c}\frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c}
[/tex] ...since it is differentiable at any arbitrary point.

[tex]
f'(c) = \frac{\lim_{x\to c}f(x) - \lim_{x\to c}f(c)}{\lim_{x\to c}(x - c)}
[/tex] ...using properties of the limit (i think).

[tex]
f'(c) * \lim_{x\to c}(x - c) = f'(c) * 0 = 0 = \lim_{x\to c}f(x) - \lim_{x\to c}f(c)
[/tex] ...the limit of x - c is 0. The limit of f(c) is f(c) so this implies that

[tex]
\lim_{x\to c}f(x) = f(c)
[/tex] which proves continuity.

I know this can't be right. I am just trying to learn some of this. Also, would a more rigorous proof than the one you posted be at all better? I've seen some very confusing ones with deltas and epsilons and wonder if this is overkill?

Last edited:
dmatador said:
[tex]
f'(c) = \lim_{x\to c}\frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c}
[/tex] ...since it is differentiable at any arbitrary point.

[tex]
f'(c) = \frac{\lim_{x\to c}f(x) - \lim_{x\to c}f(c)}{\lim_{x\to c}(x - c)}
[/tex] ...using properties of the limit (i think).
This does not work, as the limit of the denominator is 0. Distributing the limit over a quotient is only valid if the limit exists and the limit of the denominator is non-zero. However, you can get a working proof if you multiply both sides by [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} x - c[/itex].
Going down to the level of deltas and epsilons is not necessary. There is a proof using only what you know about the definition of the derivative at a point, and the definition of continuous at a point, without explicitly using epsilon-delta form.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
This does not work, as the limit of the denominator is 0. Distributing the limit over a quotient is only valid if the limit exists and the limit of the denominator is non-zero. However, you can get a working proof if you multiply both sides by [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} x - c[/itex].

OK, I think I see that. After that you can pull out the limit sign and cancel out the x - c and are left with [tex] 0 = \lim_{x\to c}f(x) - f(c)[/tex]. The proof is basically done.

Last edited by a moderator:
dmatador said:
OK, I think I see that. After that you can pull out the limit sign and cancel out the x - c and are left with [tex] 0 = \lim_{x\to c}f(x) - f(c)[/tex]. The proof is basically done.

Yep. Good job.

Related to Differentiable implies continuous

1. What is the definition of differentiable?

Differentiable refers to a mathematical function that is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point in its domain. This means that the function can be continuously and smoothly traced without any sharp turns or corners.

2. How is differentiability related to continuity?

Differentiability is a stronger condition than continuity. A function that is differentiable at a point must also be continuous at that point, but the reverse is not necessarily true. This means that all differentiable functions are also continuous, but not all continuous functions are differentiable.

3. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable if it is not continuous. This is because differentiability requires the function to be continuous at every point in its domain. If there are any discontinuities in the function, it cannot be differentiable.

4. What does it mean for a function to be continuously differentiable?

A function that is continuously differentiable means that it is differentiable at every point in its domain, and its derivative is also a continuous function. This implies that the function has no sharp turns or corners, and its slope changes smoothly throughout its domain.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differentiability and continuity?

Yes, differentiability and continuity are essential concepts in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. They are used to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as motion, optimization problems, and data analysis.