Differential equations and numerical methods questions

In summary, in order to solve a differential equation, you need to know the function that has the rate of change that you were given.
awholenumber
i have few doubts about differential equations and numerical methods ...
in a differential equation question ... you are given an instantaneous rate of change...
and you are supposed to find the function that gives , this instantaneous rate of change

Numerical methods approximate the "instantaneous rate of change" with "the rate of change over a small interval".

maths_5.png

is this same as ...

f(0)=1,
f(0.01)=1.01,
f(0.02)=1.0201,
f(0.03)= 1.030301

??

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Note that replacing ##\ dy\over dx\ ## by ##\ \Delta y\over \Delta x\ ## is an approximation...

thanks ...

maths_3.png

does anyone know how to re write this equation for numerical approximations ??

No approximation needed: you have solved the equation...

i am trying to understand some things in plain english ...
in a differential equation question,you are given an instantaneous rate of change of an object
The gradient of the curve dy/dx is the instantaneous change of y with respect to x ,the rate at which y is changing as x is changing
and you are supposed to find the function that gives , this instantaneous rate of change

maths_5.png

and this is same as ...

f(0)=1,
f(0.01)=1.01,
f(0.02)=1.0201,
f(0.03)= 1.030301

??wasn't i supposed to find the function that gives ,this instantaneous rate of change ??
The answer is the function that has that rate of change
The answer is a function that has the instantaneous rate of change that you were given ...now i have four functions and four instantaneous rate of change ??
what does this mean ??
does it mean that i have four functions that has the instantaneous rate of change that i was given

??

You have two equations with a different character: one (##{dy\over dx}=x^2-3##) is of the type ## y'= f(x) ## and the other is of the type ##y'= f(y)## (I use the abbreviation ##y'## for the derivative ##{dy\over dx}## ).

## y'= f(x) ## is solved if you can find a primitive of f : a function ##F(x)## for which ##F'= f##.

There is the small matter of the integration constant: If you know your rate of change but you don't know where you start, then you can not determine where you will be next.

In other words: With every differential eqiuation you need something to deal with the integration constant (one for every "quote") . For example a function value at x = 0 (or a function value at any other point).

Your first equation isn't accompanied by such a condition, so you can't get further than ## y = F(x) = x^3/3-3x + K##.

Your second differential equation does have a condition: ##y(0) = 1##. You solve numerically by approaching y(0) as a linear function for a small step:$$y(0+\Delta x) \approx y(0) + \Delta x {dy\over dx}$$ when all you really know is $$ \lim_{h\downarrow 0} { y(0+h) - y(0) \over h } = {dy\over dx} \ .$$
When you take a few steps you get a sequence of approximated function values, but not a function (in the sense of an exact prescription what to do with x to get y).

So for ##\ y'= y\ \ \& \ \ y(0) = 1 \ ## you have found four function values, not four functions.

Last edited:
BvU said:
You have two equations with a different character: one (##{dy\over dx}=x^2-3##) is of the type ## y'= f(x) ## and the other is of the type ##y'= f(y)## (I use the abbreviation ##y'## for the derivative ##{dy\over dx}## ).

## y'= f(x) ## is solved if you can find a primitive of f : a function ##F(x)## for which ##F'= f##.

There is the small matter of the integration constant: If you know your rate of change but you don't know where you start, then you can not determine where you will be next.

In other words: With every differential eqiuation you need something to deal with the integration constant (one for every "quote") . For example a function value at x = 0 (or a function value at any other point).

Your first equation isn't accompanied by such a condition, so you can't get further than ## y = F(x) = x^3/3-3x + K##.

Your second differential equation does have a condition: ##y(0) = 1##. You solve numerically by approaching y(0) as a linear function for a small step:$$y(0+\Delta x) \approx y(0) + \Delta x {dy\over dx}$$ when all you really know is $$ \lim_{h\downarrow 0} { y(0+h) - y(0) \over h } = {dy\over dx} \ .$$
When you take a few steps you get a sequence of approximated function values, but not a function (in the sense of an exact prescription what to do with x to get y).

So for ##y'= y & y(0) = 1 ## you have found four function values, not four functions.

BvU ,

thanks a lot .. there is so much good information in that post ... i have already learned a lot from your post ... now i think its just a matter of googling the proper words from your post ..
even differential equation is kind of getting interesting ...

few more basic questions ...

i don't understand this properly ...

most of the time , the original question is ...

find the function that gives ,this instantaneous rate of change
maths_5.png

which is same as this ..

f(0)=1,
f(0.01)=1.01,
f(0.02)=1.0201,
f(0.03)= 1.030301

for ##y'= y & y(0) = 1 ## you have found four function values, not four functions.

what is the next thing you do with these function values... you plug it into the equations ??

i really thought the answer is a function ..that has that rate of change

i mean this is how a question really starts ...

find the function that gives ,this instantaneous rate of change

<Mod note: Irrelevant image deleted>if answer is a function that has that rate of change ...

what are these four function values ...

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice picture; taken from inside the book ? (I recognize Rotterdam, though...)

Seems to me you still have trouble understanding what you did for ##y'=y## so let's step back and treat ##y'= x^2-3## the same way. Add initial condition y(0) = 0 so it yields a unique solution.

##x = 0 \rightarrow y(0) = 0##

##x = 0.1 \rightarrow y(0.1) = 0 + (0.01 - 3)* 0.1 = -0.299 \ ## exact solution ##y(0.1) = 0.001 - 3 = -0.299 \ ## hurray.

etc. etc. we get:
upload_2016-7-22_16-21-54.png

upload_2016-7-22_16-44-51.png

So the exact solution is a function ##y = x^3/3-3x## and the numerical approach is a table of aproximated function values.

(I took steps of 0.1 so the difference between exact and numerical becomes visible).

In fact, for your other equation ##y'=y## and ##y(0)=1## an exact solution can also be found. Use the same method (everything with y on one side gives ##{dy\over y}=dx##, then integrate and apply the initial condition). But you'll learn that one soon enough.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-22_16-22-7.png
    upload_2016-7-22_16-22-7.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 523
let me re arrange a few things ...so that i can understand this properly ...ok , there are two questions in this one ...

find the function that gives, this instantaneous rate of change ...
maths_5.png
which is same as this ..

f(0)=1,
f(0.01)=1.01,
f(0.02)=1.0201,
f(0.03)= 1.030301
BvU said:

So for ##\ y'= y\ \ \& \ \ y(0) = 1 \ ## you have found four function values, not four functions.

for ##y'= y & y(0) = 1 ## you have found four function values, not four functions.

for ##f(x)=y & f(0) = 1 ## you have found four function values, not four functions.

f(0)=1,
f(0.01)=1.01,
f(0.02)=1.0201,
f(0.03)= 1.030301

BvU said:
Seems to me you still have trouble understanding what you did for ##y'=y## so let's step back and treat ##y'= x^2-3## the same way. Add initial condition y(0) = 0 so it yields a unique solution.

##x = 0 \rightarrow y(0) = 0##

##x = 0.1 \rightarrow y(0.1) = 0 + (0.01 - 3)* 0.1 = -0.299 \ ## exact solution ##y(0.1) = 0.001 - 3 = -0.299 \ ## hurray.

etc. etc. we get:
View attachment 103655

View attachment 103661

So the exact solution is a function ##y = x^3/3-3x## and the numerical approach is a table of aproximated function values.

(I took steps of 0.1 so the difference between exact and numerical becomes visible).

In fact, for your other equation ##y'=y## and ##y(0)=1## an exact solution can also be found. Use the same method (everything with y on one side gives ##{dy\over y}=dx##, then integrate and apply the initial condition). But you'll learn that one soon enough.

BvU ,

thanks for the reply ...

its from a book called "numerical methods for ordinary differential equations " ...i did a horizontal flip of that image with ms paint ..
Mod note: Why? How does that add any information to your question? Also, you have posted an image of a bridge twice, which also adds nothing of substance to what you're asking.
few more re arrangements in a way that i can understand this ...

Seems to me you still have trouble understanding what you did for ##f(x)=y## so let's step back and treat ##f(x)= x^2-3## the same way. Add initial condition f(0) = 0 so it yields a unique solution.

##x = 0 \rightarrow f(0) = 0##

##x = 0.1 \rightarrow f(0.1) = 0 + (0.01 - 3)* 0.1 = -0.299 \ ## exact solution ##f(0.1) = 0.001 - 3 = -0.299 \ ##

etc .. etc .. we get ..

upload_2016_7_22_16_21_54.png

upload_2016_7_22_16_44_51.png

So the exact solution is a function ##f(x) = x^3/3-3x## and the numerical approach is a table of aproximated function values.

In fact, for your other equation ##f(x)=y## and ##f(0)=1## an exact solution can also be found. Use the same method (everything with y on one side gives ##{dy\over y}=dx##, then integrate and apply the initial condition). But you'll learn that one soon enough

upload_2016-7-22_16-22-7-png.103656.png
i am going to take a little bit of time to read and re read this ...

there is so much good information again on this one ...

let me see what i can learn from this , and i don't know where to move to from here ...

again , thanks a lot ...

if i have more doubts i will come back and post more ...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time or space. They involve functions and their derivatives, and are used to model relationships in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to model systems with a single variable, while PDEs are used to model systems with multiple variables, such as in the case of heat transfer or fluid dynamics.

3. What are numerical methods for solving differential equations?

Numerical methods are techniques used to approximate the solutions of differential equations. These methods involve breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler steps and using algorithms to calculate the approximate solution at each step. Some common numerical methods include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods.

4. How do you determine the accuracy of a numerical solution for a differential equation?

The accuracy of a numerical solution can be determined by comparing it to an exact solution, if one exists. This can be done by calculating the error between the numerical solution and the exact solution at specific points. Additionally, the order of accuracy of a numerical method can be determined, which indicates how quickly the error decreases as the step size is reduced.

5. What are some real-life applications of differential equations and numerical methods?

Differential equations and numerical methods have a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems and processes, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in computer simulations and optimization problems.