Differential operator, inverse thereof

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Green's function in the context of a linear differential equation and its associated boundary conditions. The Green's function is defined as the function that satisfies the equation ##\mathscr B G(x,s) = \delta(x-s)##, with homogeneous boundary conditions of the same type as the differential equation. This allows for the inhomogeneity in the differential equation to be built into the Green's function, leaving only a homogeneous differential equation to be solved. The conversation also touches on the general form of Green's function solutions in linear problems with linear boundary conditions.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm reviewing a text and the author writes
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.53.43 AM.png

where ##g## is an arbitrary function and ##B## is a differential operator. ##Bo## is a parameter. Then the author states the inverse of ##B## is
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.54.03 AM.png

where ##G## is the Green's function of ##B##. Can someone explain how we know this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.53.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.53.43 AM.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 934
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.54.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.54.03 AM.png
    4 KB · Views: 1,007
Physics news on Phys.org
The Green's function in this case is defined as the function for which
$$
\mathscr B G(x,s) = \delta(x-s)
$$
and ##G(0,s) = G(1,s) = 0##. Hence
$$
\mathscr B \mathscr B^{-1} g = \int_0^1 \mathscr B G(x,s) g(s) ds = \int_0^1 \delta(x-s) g(s) ds = g(x)
$$
and ##\mathscr B \mathscr B^{-1}## is the identity operator.

Likes member 428835
Thanks!

Orodruin said:
$$
$$
and ##G(0,s) = G(1,s) = 0##.
Can you explain where you got the BC from? Is is always the case for Greens functions that the boundaries be zero? If so, would you mind explaining why?

Typically you want the Green's function to satisfy homogeneous boundary conditions of the same type as the boundary conditions of your differential equation (even if the differential equation has inhomogeneous boundary conditions). This means that you can built the inhomogeneity in the differential equation from the Green's function without affecting the boundary conditions. You are then left with solving the homogeneous differential equation if you have inhomogeneous boundary conditions. This can also be done using the Green's function, but is yet another step and you anyway have homogeneous boundary conditions.

Exercise: Check that letting the Green's function satisfy homogeneous boundary conditions lead to ##g## satisfying homogeneous boundary conditions.

Oh, sorry. I misread the original post. You should use Neumann conditions instead. Note that this will be incompatible with the case ##B_0 = 0## though. Anyway, the boundary conditions are not the main issue for your question.

Orodruin said:
Exercise: Check that letting the Green's function satisfy homogeneous boundary conditions lead to ##g## satisfying homogeneous boundary conditions.
Okay, so to find the Green's function I would take, as you said, ##BG(x,s) = \delta(x-s)##. For simplicity, let's let ##Bo = 0##. Then we have ##d^2_x G = \delta(x-s)## subject to ##G(x=0)=0## and ##G(x=1)=0##. To satisfy BC without a trivial solution, make the Green's function a continuous, but not necessarily every differentiable, function. Then we have a left and right (with respect to ##s \in (0,1)##) solution to ##d^2_x G = 0## taking the form ##G_L = a x## and ##G_R = b (1-x)##. Continuity implies ##G_L(x=s) = G_R(x=s)## and a final condition requires ##\int_{x-}^{x+} G'' = 1##. Then the solutions I get are $$G_L = (1-s)x\\ G_R = s(1-x).$$ So far so good?

Orodruin said:
Oh, sorry. I misread the original post. You should use Neumann conditions instead. Note that this will be incompatible with the case ##B_0 = 0## though. Anyway, the boundary conditions are not the main issue for your question.
Sorry, I just saw this after responding to your previous post. But the text also gives
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.54.22 AM.png

and I'm unsure how to arrive at the case where ##Bo = 0##. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.54.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 12.54.22 AM.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 529
joshmccraney said:
But the text also gives
This does not look correct to me. For example, taking the ##Bo = 0## case, it is clear that ##\partial_x^2 G = 1##, not ##\delta(x-s)##.

Orodruin said:
This does not look correct to me. For example, taking the ##Bo = 0## case, it is clear that ##\partial_x^2 G = 1##, not ##\delta(x-s)##.
Yea, it didn't seem like I could reproduce their work either. Would you mind looking at the two attachments? This is where the author begins discussing the ##B## operator. I'm agree (obviously) with the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of ##B##. But I am lost at the Green's functions. Does reading this snippet make anything clearer to you?
1.png
2.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 538
  • 2.png
    2.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 509
Orodruin said:
$$
$$
and ##G(0,s) = G(1,s) = 0##. Hence
$$
\mathscr B \mathscr B^{-1} g = \int_0^1 \mathscr B G(x,s) g(s) ds = \int_0^1 \delta(x-s) g(s) ds = g(x)
$$
and ##\mathscr B \mathscr B^{-1}## is the identity operator.
I had a question for you Orodruin: why is the Green's function defined in the case with homogenous BCs: ##G(0,s) = G(1,s) = 0##? If we're finding the inverse operator of ##B##, I'm confused why there are any restrictions at all on the boundaries of ##G##?

Because you want to solve a linear differential equation with exactly those homogeneous boundary conditions and superpositions of such Green's functions also satisfy those homogeneous boundary conditions. If you have inhomogeneous boundary conditions you still want to define the Green's function with homogeneous boundary conditions. You then write the solution as a superposition of the integral with the Green's function that will satisfy the inhomogeneity in the differential equation and a solution to the homogeneous differential equation that takes care of the inhomogeneous boundary conditions.

I discuss the general form of the Green's function solutions to a linear problem with linear boundary conditions in section 7.2.3 of my book.

Orodruin said:
I discuss the general form of the Green's function solutions to a linear problem with linear boundary conditions in section 7.2.3 of my book.
Thanks! What's the book you're referring to? Have a title (and author, since I'm not sure of your name)?

Thanks!

Very interesting article. Shockingly sounds very relevant to what I do. I'll have to grab a copy (but I'm first going to check our library, maybe they've beat me to the punch).

Related to Differential operator, inverse thereof

1. What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical operator that operates on a function to produce another function. It is typically represented using symbols such as d/dx or ∇. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. What is the inverse of a differential operator?

The inverse of a differential operator is a mathematical operator that undoes the effects of the original operator. It can be thought of as the "opposite" of the original operator and is denoted by a superscript -1.

3. How is the inverse of a differential operator related to the original operator?

The inverse of a differential operator is related to the original operator in the sense that when the two are applied in succession, they cancel each other out, resulting in the original function. This relationship is similar to how multiplication and division are inverse operations.

4. What is the significance of the inverse of a differential operator?

The inverse of a differential operator plays a crucial role in solving differential equations. It enables us to transform a complicated differential equation into a simpler form that can be easily solved. It also allows us to express the solution in terms of the original function, rather than its derivatives.

5. Can any differential operator have an inverse?

No, not all differential operators have an inverse. Only linear differential operators have an inverse. This means that the operator must satisfy the property that the sum of two functions multiplied by the operator is equal to the operator acting on the sum of the two functions. Non-linear differential operators do not have this property and therefore do not have an inverse.