Differential pressures in a chamber, revisited and clarified

In summary, the conversation discusses a cylindrical chamber with a valve armature passing through the center. The chamber can be closed or opened by the valve armature. The problem is calculating the total force on the valve armature due to differential pressure when the chamber is closed. Three forces are identified: F1 is the pressure inside the chamber pressing upwards on the bottom of the valve armature plate, F2 is the pressure outside the chamber pressing upwards on the bottom of the valve armature shaft, and F3 is the pressure outside the chamber pressing downwards on the top of the valve armature plate. The conversation also addresses the correct radii to use for the calculation and an error in the description of F1.
LowEParticle
This is a clearer, better drawn, and shorter version of a question I asked a few days ago. I apologize for not initially reducing it to this state - sometimes when reducing a question to its essence I stop too soon!

The diagram below shows two cross-sections of an axis-symmetric cylindrical chamber that has a valve armature passing through its center. The valve armature descends to close the chamber (left-hand drawing) and rises up to open the chamber (right-hand drawing). Where the valve armature's shaft passes through the bottom of the chamber it is sealed off by a frictionless, air-tight seal. The air pressure outside the chamber is always Phigh. If the chamber is closed, then the air pressure inside of it is Plow.

My problem is the total force Ftotal on the valve armature due to differential pressure when the chamber is closed. Ftotal is the sum of three terms:

F1 is the pressure inside of the chamber pressing upwards on the bottom of the valve armature plate (14mm radius):
F1 = Plow * [itex]\pi[/itex] * (14)2 (upwards)

F2 is the pressure outside of the chamber pressing upwards on the very bottom of the valve armature shaft (4mm radius):
F2 = Phigh * [itex]\pi[/itex] * (4)2 (upwards)

F3 is the pressure outside of the chamber pressing downwards on the top of the valve armature plate (18mm radius):
F3 = Phigh * [itex]\pi[/itex] * (18)2 (downwards)

So Ftotal = -F1 - F2 + F3

I showed all the significant radii on the right-hand drawing for easy identification, however, the solution above does not use the 20mm, 12mm, or 8mm radii. I have two questions:
  1. Have I picked the correct radii to correctly calculate the relevant forces?
  2. Are the 3 forces I've identified the only ones produced by differential pressures that are relevant to the caclulation of Ftotal?

Thank you very much for reading this and considering my problem.
Dave

Attachments

• _Differential Pressure Forces in Chamber.png
    _Differential Pressure Forces in Chamber.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
well hello there,
You should re-think F1.
Does the low pressure act on the whole of the 14mm radius, or just part of it?
If you examine F2, that may give you a clue.

Likes 1 person
256bits said:
well hello there,
You should re-think F1.
Does the low pressure act on the whole of the 14mm radius, or just part of it?
If you examine F2, that may give you a clue.

Thank you very much for finding this error! I've written the corrected description of F1 below:

F1 is the pressure inside of the chamber pressing upwards on the bottom of the valve armature plate (14mm radius) excepting the 4mm radius of the armature shaft:
F1 = Plow * [itex]\pi[/itex] * (142 - 42) (upwards)

I appreciate your help very much!
Dave

1. What is a "differential pressure" in a chamber?

A differential pressure in a chamber refers to the difference in pressure between two points within the chamber. This can be caused by various factors such as temperature differences, flow rates, or obstructions in the chamber.

2. Why is it important to measure and monitor differential pressures in a chamber?

Measuring and monitoring differential pressures in a chamber is important for several reasons. It can help identify any potential leaks or malfunctions in the chamber, ensure proper airflow and ventilation, and maintain a safe working environment for personnel.

3. How is differential pressure calculated and measured in a chamber?

Differential pressure is typically calculated by subtracting the pressure at one point in the chamber from the pressure at another point. It can be measured using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges or manometers.

4. What are some common challenges when dealing with differential pressures in a chamber?

Some common challenges when dealing with differential pressures in a chamber include fluctuations in pressure due to changing environmental conditions, difficulty in obtaining accurate measurements, and ensuring consistent pressure levels throughout the chamber.

5. Can differential pressures in a chamber be adjusted or controlled?

Yes, differential pressures in a chamber can be adjusted and controlled through various methods such as adjusting the speed of fans or dampers, sealing any leaks or openings in the chamber, and regulating the flow of air or gas into the chamber.