Differentiating some simple harmonic equation

In summary, the conversation was about differentiating the equation x=x0sin(wt) to obtain the expression a= -w2x. However, there was a mistake made in the differentiation and the correct expression should be a= -w2(x0sin(wt)). The mistake was realized and corrected with the help of another person.
Trance-
So I was just trying to differentiate (for no good reason) the equation :
x=x0sin(wt)
(w= angular frequency, x0= maximum displacement, t=time)

to obtain the expression :
a= -w2x

I differentiated twice with respect to time the initial expression for x and got:
a= -w2x0sin(wt)

I must have done something wrong while differentiating... so help me out, folks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll write it in a more suggestive manner:
$$a = -\omega^2 (x_0 \sin(\omega t))$$
Notice anything?

Likes Trance-
axmls said:
I'll write it in a more suggestive manner:
$$a = -\omega^2 (x_0 \sin(\omega t))$$
Notice anything?

Oh crap!
My sleep deprivation must be taking its toll dammit. Thanks a lot man!
I make the dumbest mistakes.

Likes axmls

1. What is a simple harmonic equation?

A simple harmonic equation is a mathematical function that describes a repetitive motion that follows a sinusoidal or oscillatory pattern. It is commonly used to model systems that exhibit periodic behavior, such as a mass-spring system or a pendulum.

2. How is a simple harmonic equation different from other equations?

A simple harmonic equation is different from other equations because it contains only one independent variable, usually time, and is characterized by a specific pattern of oscillation. Other equations may have multiple independent variables and describe a wider range of behaviors.

3. What are the key components of a simple harmonic equation?

The key components of a simple harmonic equation are the amplitude, frequency, and phase shift. The amplitude represents the maximum displacement from equilibrium, the frequency represents the number of cycles per unit time, and the phase shift represents the horizontal displacement of the wave.

4. How do you differentiate a simple harmonic equation?

To differentiate a simple harmonic equation, you use the rules of calculus to find the derivative of the equation with respect to the independent variable. This will yield the velocity and acceleration functions, which describe the rate of change of the displacement and the rate of change of the velocity, respectively.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple harmonic equations?

Simple harmonic equations have numerous real-life applications, such as in the study of waves, vibrations, and oscillations in physics and engineering. They are also used in fields such as acoustics, electronics, and even in the analysis of stock market trends. Additionally, simple harmonic motion is observed in everyday objects, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating guitar string.