Differentiating twice under the integral (with assumptions)

In summary: R}^n} g_n(y) d\mu_y = \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} g(y) d\mu_y = \frac{d}{dx_j} \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} \partial_{x_i} k(x,y) d\mu_y.$$This shows that we can indeed "move" the partial derivative ##\partial_{x_j}## outside the integral, as desired.To conclude the proof, we use Fubini's theorem. Since ##g(y)\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n)
DavideGenoa
Let ##k:\mathcal{O}\times\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}##, with ##\mathcal{O}\subset\mathbb{R}^m## open, be such that ##\forall x\in\mathcal{O}\quad k(x,\cdot)\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n) ##, i.e. the function ##y\mapsto k(x,y)## is Lebesgue summable on ##\mathbb{R}^n##, according to the usual ##n##-dimensional Lebesgue measure.

I read (theorem 1.d here, p. 2) that, if ##\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(\cdot,y)\in C(\mathcal{O})## for almost all ##y\in\mathbb{R}^n## and there exists ## g\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n)## such that $$|\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(x,y)|\le g(y)\quad\forall x\in\mathcal{O}\quad\text{for almost all }y\in\mathbb{R}^n,$$then##^1## $$\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}k(x,y)d\mu_y=\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)d\mu_y.$$

I see, by using a known corollary to the dominated convergence theorem (quoted here), that, provided that ##\forall x\in\mathcal{O}\quad \partial_{x_i}k(x,\cdot)\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n) ## (which I do not know how to prove##^2##), then$$\partial_{x_j}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)d\mu_y=\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)d\mu_y$$but then I do not know how we can "move" ##\partial_{x_i}## outside the integral, although I suspect it may have to do with the rather strong assumption that ##\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(\cdot,y)\in C(\mathcal{O})##...

How can we prove that ##\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}k(x,y)d\mu_y=\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)d\mu_y##?

I ##\infty##-ly thank any answerer!##^1##When I read a text I always assume that it is prefectly worded. Nevertheless, after many fruitless trials, I am beginning to suspect that this result is intended to hold provided that the condition (b) here holds.

##^2##By using Fubini's theorem I only see that, once chosen an arbitrary interval ##[a,t]##, the function ##\partial_{x_i}k(x_t,\cdot)-\partial_{x_i}k(x_a,\cdot)##, where ##x_t## has ##t## as its ##j##-th component, is summable and its integral is ##\int_{[a,t]}\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x_t,y) d\mu_y d\mu_{x_j}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not know how to conclude from this, since I do not know how to prove that this integral is ##\int_{\mathbb{R}^n}\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i}k(x,y)d\mu_y##.
Thank you for your interesting question. I will try to address your concerns and provide a proof for the desired result.

First, let me clarify the notation in the statement of the problem. In the notation ##\partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(\cdot,y)\in C(\mathcal{O})##, the symbol ##\cdot## refers to the first argument of the function. In other words, we are considering the function ##x\mapsto \partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(x,y)##, which is continuous on the open set ##\mathcal{O}## for almost all ##y\in\mathbb{R}^n##. This is a common notation in multivariable calculus and is known as partial differentiation.

Now, let us proceed with the proof. We will use the notation ##f(y) = \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} k(x,y) d\mu_y## for the function that we are interested in. By the assumptions given, we have that ##f## is well-defined and integrable on ##\mathcal{O}##. We will also use the notation ##g(y) = \partial_{x_j}\partial_{x_i} k(x,y)## for the continuous function on ##\mathcal{O}##.

We begin by using the dominated convergence theorem. Since ##\partial_{x_i}k(x,\cdot)\in L^1(\mathbb{R}^n)## for all ##x\in\mathcal{O}##, we can choose a sequence of functions ##\{g_n\}## in ##L^1(\mathbb{R}^n)## such that ##g_n(y) \to g(y)## for almost all ##y\in\mathbb{R}^n##. Then, by the dominated convergence theorem, we have
$$
\frac{d}{dx_j} \int_{\mathbb{R}^n} \partial_{x_i} k(x,y) d\mu_y = \lim_{n

1. What is differentiation under the integral?

Differentiation under the integral is a mathematical technique that allows us to find the derivative of a function that is defined by an integral. This technique is useful in solving complex integrals and can help simplify the process.

2. What are the assumptions for differentiating twice under the integral?

The main assumption for differentiating twice under the integral is that the function being integrated is continuous and differentiable. Additionally, the limits of integration should also be constant values.

3. Can differentiation be performed before integration?

Yes, differentiation can be performed before integration. This is known as the Leibniz integral rule, which states that if a function is differentiable with respect to both the variable of integration and another variable, then the derivative can be taken outside the integral.

4. What is the purpose of differentiating twice under the integral?

The purpose of differentiating twice under the integral is to simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also help in finding the maximum or minimum values of a function defined by an integral.

5. Are there any limitations to differentiating twice under the integral?

Yes, there are limitations to differentiating twice under the integral. This technique may not work for all types of integrals and functions. Additionally, the assumptions mentioned earlier must be met in order for the technique to be applicable.