Differentiation of sin function where's my mistake?

In summary, the sin function is a mathematical function that represents the relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle. Differentiation is a process used to find the rate of change of a function, and to differentiate a sin function, basic differentiation rules must be followed. Common mistakes when differentiating a sin function include not using the chain rule, incorrect application of the power rule, and mixing up signs in the final answer. The second derivative test can be used to check for mistakes in the differentiation process.
Hawksteinman
I was thinking and came up with this. I know it's wrong but can't find the mistake :(

dy/dx sin(x) = cos(x)
dy/dx sin(kx) = kcos(kx)

So dy/dx sin(3x) = 3cos(3x)
Now let Y = 3x
dy/dx sin(Y) = cos(Y) = cos(3x)

3cos(3x) = cos(3x)
3 = 1

Where is the mistake?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hawksteinman said:
I was thinking and came up with this. I know it's wrong but can't find the mistake :(

dy/dx sin(x) = cos(x)
dy/dx sin(kx) = kcos(kx)

Now let Y = 3x
dy/dx sin(Y) = cos(Y) = cos(3x)

3cos(3x) = cos(3x)
3 = 1

Where is the mistake?
## \dfrac{d}{dx}\sin(Y) \neq \cos(Y)##
You've made the chain rule vanish by pretending ##Y=y##.

Likes QuantumQuest and Hawksteinman
Your notation doesn’t make sense.
dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x. “dy/dx sin(x)” is not a well-defined expression.

What you nean is d/dx sin(x). And suddenly the issue disappears:

d/dx sin(3x)=3cos(3x)
d/dx sin(y)=? - here we need the chain rule and d/dx 3x = 3:
d/dx sin(y) = cos(y) d/dx y = cos(y) * 3 = 3cos(3x)

Likes Nucleus _Basalis and Hawksteinman
mfb said:
Your notation doesn’t make sense.
dy/dx is the derivative of y with respect to x. “dy/dx sin(x)” is not a well-defined expression.

What you nean is d/dx sin(x). And suddenly the issue disappears:

d/dx sin(3x)=3cos(x)
d/dx sin(y)=? - here we need the chain rule and d/dx 3x = 3:
d/dx sin(y) = cos(y) d/dx y = cos(y) * 3

I haven't done the chain rule yet I'll need to look into that :)

Basically:
If y =3x changes three times as fast as x, and sin(y) changes cos(y) times as fast as y, then sin(y)=sin(3x) changes 3*cos(y) = 3*cos(3x) times as fast as x.

Likes Hawksteinman
Hawksteinman said:
As already noted, the above should be ##\frac d {dx}\left(\sin(3x)\right) = 3\cos(3x)##
##\frac{dy}{dx}## is the derivative of y with respect to x, so it is a thing, a noun.
##\frac d{dx}## is the operator that signifies taking the derivative of something with respect to x. It is an action that hasn't completed yet, a verb. Don't confuse these two things.

Hawksteinman said:
I haven't done the chain rule yet I'll need to look into that :)
Actually, you used the chain rule in the first line of what I quoted, above. The chain rule is what gives you that leading factor of 3.

Likes QuantumQuest and Hawksteinman
Mark44 said:
As already noted, the above should be ##\frac d {dx}\left(\sin(3x)\right) = 3\cos(3x)##
##\frac{dy}{dx}## is the derivative of y with respect to x, so it is a thing, a noun.
##\frac d{dx}## is the operator that signifies taking the derivative of something with respect to x. It is an action that hasn't completed yet, a verb. Don't confuse these two things.

Actually, you used the chain rule in the first line of what I quoted, above. The chain rule is what gives you that leading factor of 3.

I don't know, I just used a table of derivatives :/

Hawksteinman said:
I don't know, I just used a table of derivatives :/
They were using the chain rule in the table.

1. What is the sin function?

The sin function, also known as the sine function, is a mathematical function that represents the relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle. It is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

2. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze how a function changes over time or space.

3. How do you differentiate a sin function?

To differentiate a sin function, we use the basic differentiation rules of calculus. The derivative of sinx is cosx, which means that the value of the derivative at any point on the sin function will be equal to the value of the cosine function at that point.

4. What are common mistakes when differentiating a sin function?

Common mistakes when differentiating a sin function include forgetting to use the chain rule, not applying the power rule correctly, and mixing up the signs in the final answer. It is important to carefully follow the rules of differentiation and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I check if I have made a mistake while differentiating a sin function?

To check if you have made a mistake while differentiating a sin function, you can use the second derivative test. This involves finding the derivative of the derivative and plugging in values to see if they match the original function. If they do not match, it is likely that you have made a mistake in your differentiation process.