Difficulty with "Exists" & "Let" or "Arbitrary"

• Thread starter CGandC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between the existence quantifier and the all quantifier in writing proofs. The conversation also touched upon the use of arbitrary elements in proofs and how they relate to the concept of induction. It was concluded that the existence quantifier refers to the shape of elements while the all quantifier refers to specific elements. The use of arbitrary elements in proofs allows for the application of induction.
CGandC
1. when writing a proof, I stumbled upon cases where I wondered if the following two are equivalent?:
a. " There exists ## n \in N ## such that ___ "
b. " Let ## n \in N ## be arbitrary such that ___"

Are these statements the same? Is ## n ## in both of them the same?

2. Suppose I have the following set
1604320047390.png

And I want to prove that there exists a real number ## m ## such that for all ## a \in C ## it is satisfied that ## a \leq m ##.
So writing of the proof goes as follows:
We'll take ## 2 \in R ##. Let ## b \in C ## , meaning there exists ## n \in N ## such that ## b = \frac{n+1}{2^n} ## . So we'll prove that ## \frac{n+1}{2^n} \leq 2 ## .

I saw in the answers that the proof of ## \frac{n+1}{2^n} \leq 2 ## is done with induction on ## n ##.

The question is: how is it possible to do proof by induction on ## n ## here if in the writing of the proof I said " there exists ## n \in N ## " and not " arbitrary ## n \in N ## " or " Let ## n \in N ## "?
I know that I do proof by induction if I have a claim such as ## \forall n \in N. P(n) ##. But here in the writing of the proof I have a claim of ## \exists n \in N. P(n) ## which I have to prove, which isn't the same as the previous claim.

Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
1. when writing a proof, I stumbled upon cases where I wondered if the following two are equivalent?:

No. T´hey are not.

The existence quantor means: there is one instance, as in "there exists a natural number which is divisible by 3 and 1 only.

Let there be (an arbitrary) is the all quantor. It means e.g.: Given an arbitrary natural number ##n##, there is another natural number ##n+1## following ##n##. Since we haven't assumed any restrictions on ##n## other than being a natural number, this implies that it is true for all natural numbers. ##n## here is a place holder for any, or all. In the previous example, only ##n=3## satisfied the condition.
2. Suppose I have the following set View attachment 272036
And I want to prove that there exists a real number ## m ## such that for all ## a \in C ## it is satisfied that ## a \leq m ##.
We'll take ## 2 \in R ##. Let ## b \in C ## , meaning there exists ## n \in N ## such that ## b = \frac{n+1}{2^n} ## . So we'll prove that ## \frac{n+1}{2^n} \leq 2 ## .
You should have highlighted meaning! We have given any ##b\in C##. This means we do not pose any restrictions on ##b##. Nevertheless, and all we know is, that it is contained in ##C##. This means that ##b## is of the form ##\dfrac{n+1}{2^n}## for some ##n\in \mathbb{N}##, since all members of ##C## look this way. We have not determined which one in ##C##, except that we've arbitrarily chosen one of them to work with, which we called ##b##.
I saw in the answers that the proof of ## \frac{n+1}{2^n} \leq 2 ## is done with induction on ## n ##.

The question is: how is it possible to do proof by induction on ## n ## here if in the writing of the proof I said " there exists ## n \in N ## "
and not " arbitrary ## n \in N ## " or " Let ## n \in N ## "?
There exists an ##n## refers to the shape of the elements we are talking about, not a specific one. This makes ##n## arbitrary in the induction proof, and specified if we talk about ##b##. It would had been better to write ##b(n)= \dfrac{n+1}{2^n}\in C## to demonstrate that ##b## is parametrized or labelled by ##n##. However, ##b(n)## and therewith ##n## were arbitrary. Only the shape was specified. The same was true in my examples under point ##1)##. ##3## is also divisible by ##-3## and ##-1## but we were talking about natural numbers only. The same happens here: we are talking about ##C## only, which makes ##b=b(n)## arbitrary except for its shape. The label ##b## is only given in order that we can address those elements, as we address natural numbers by ##n##.
I know that I do proof by induction if I have a claim such as ## \forall n \in N. P(n) ##. But here in the writing of the proof I have a claim of ## \exists n \in N. P(n) ## which I have to prove, which isn't the same as the previous claim.
I'm a little afraid that this explanation might have confused you a bit. If so, please ask. And btw., you are right: it would have been better if we used logical symbols:
$$
\forall \,b\in C\, : \, b<2\in \mathbb{R} \Longleftrightarrow \forall\, b(n)\in C\, : \,b<2\Longleftrightarrow \forall \, n\in \mathbb{N}\, : \,P(n) \Longleftrightarrow \forall \,n\in \mathbb{N} \, : \, \dfrac{n+1}{2^n}<2
$$

Likes CGandC
CGandC said:
a. " There exists n∈N such that ___ "
b. " Let n∈N be arbitrary such that ___"
Are these statements the same?
As already stated, no they are not the same. In the first, it is asserted that there is a specific number n that satisfies the given condition, and possibly others as well.
In the second, any integer n will satisfy the given condition.

CGandC said:

They're not the same ##-##

the statement

##\exists n [(n \in \mathbb N) \wedge Pn]##

means that there is at least one natural number ##n## that has property P,

while the statement

##\forall n [(n \in \mathbb N) \Rightarrow Pn]##

means that every natural number ##n## has property P.
2. Suppose I have the following set

1604338094775.png

Symbolizing what you posit as to be proven:

##\exists m [(m \in \mathbb R) \wedge (\forall a [(a\in C) \Rightarrow (a \leq m)]##,

then, noting that in the expression defining membership in ##C##, the numbers generating the values for ##a \in C## are the natural numbers ## n \in \mathbb N##, and as we ascend through the natural numbers, beginning with ##n=1## we get:

## \frac {(1+1)^2} {2^1} = \frac {2^2} {2^1} = \frac 4 2 = 2##,

and:

##(n=2) \rightarrow (a =\frac {3^2} {2^2} = \frac 9 4 = 2.25)##,

but after ##n=2##, the divisor grows faster than the dividend, so the quotient decreases for every natural number greater than 2:

##(n = 3) \rightarrow (a= \frac {16} 8 = 2)##,

##(n=4) \rightarrow (a= \frac {25} {16} = 1.5625)##,

##(n = 5) \rightarrow (a= \frac {36} {32} = 1.125)##,

(at ##n=6## the fraction is no longer top-heavy:)

##(n = 6) \rightarrow (a= \frac {49} {64} = 0.756625)##,

##(n = 7) \rightarrow (a= \frac {64} {128} = \frac 1 2 = 0.5)##,

##(n = 8) \rightarrow (a= \frac {81} {256} = 0.31640625)##,

##(n=9) \rightarrow (a= \frac {100} {512} = 0.1953125)##,

##(n=10) \rightarrow (a=\frac {121} {1024} = 0.1181640625##

So it's clear that for greater values than ##2##, with the divisor continuing to double, while the dividend continues to be a ##1##-greater number squared, the ##2.25## value of ##a## when ##n=2## can only diminish for ##n>2##, and that's the mathematical induction step (informally stated) that justifies the conclusion that

##\exists m [(m \in \mathbb R) \wedge (\forall a [(a\in C) \Rightarrow (a \leq m)]##;

however, if we take the problem as it is here stated, then because the problem statement calls for a real number ##m##, and the highest value we can get for ##a## that is generated by a natural number ##n## is 2.25 , which occurs when ##n=2##, the correct answer cannot be ##m=2##; instead, the correct answer would be ##m=2.25##,.
Your prior statement of the problem clearly calls for the universal quantifier for ##n## here; not for the existential quantifier:
(emphasis added)

All members ##a \in C## are produced, respectively, by all members ##n \in \mathbb N.
That statement is true if and only if ##n## is not equal to ##2##, i.e. when ##n=1##, ##a=2##; when ##n=2##, ##a=2.25##; as ##n## increases after that, ##a## decreases ##-## when ##n=3##, ##a=2##, with further diminution of ##a## for all further incrementations of ##n##.

So:

##((n \in \mathbb N) \wedge (\frac{n+1}{2^n} \leq 2)) \iff \neg(n=2)##

I think that there may be some confusion regarding whether the quarry is ##m=n=2##, i.e ##m## is equal to the natural number ##n## by which the greatest number ##a \in C## is generated, i.e. ##m=2## or rather is, as the problem as statement appears to call for, the real number ##m## to which the greatest ##a \in C## is less than or equal, i.e. ##m=2.25##, which is generated when ##n=2##.
The question is: how is it possible to do proof by induction on ## n ## here if in the writing of the proof I said " there exists ## n \in N ## " and not " arbitrary ## n \in N ## " or " Let ## n \in N ## "?
The problem statement uses both types of quantifier: there exists a real number ##m## such that for all ##a \in C##, ##a \le m##.
Please post the problem and answer exactly as you encountered it.

The major difference between 1. and 2. is that 1. is a sentence (with some truth value), while 2) is not.

When we say: "Let n be [something] satisfying P(n)" for some proposition P, we are not positing anything.

In a proof by induction, the goal is to prove A: [itex]P(1)[/itex] and B: [itex]P(n) \Rightarrow P(n+1) [/itex]. For B, one usually starts out with "Let n be [something] satisfying P(n)". Note that in your example (the one with "let [itex]b \in C[/itex], there exists [itex]n \in N[/itex] [...]"), you're not formulating the beginning of the proof of the inductive step. The inductive step is as follows:

Let [itex]n \in N[/itex] be some positive integer satisfying [itex]\frac{(n+1)^2}{2^n} \leq 2[/itex]. We are not positing that something is true (in fact, it's not meaningful to assign any truth value to it when n is indeterminate). We are rather supposing it to be true for an indeterminate n for the sake of proving [itex]P(n) \Rightarrow P(n+1) [/itex]. To complete the proof of the inductive step, prove that [itex]\frac{((n+1)+1)^2}{2^{n+1}} \leq 2[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes CGandC

1. What is the difference between "Exists" and "Let" in scientific research?

The terms "Exists" and "Let" are commonly used in scientific research to describe the presence or introduction of a variable or condition. "Exists" indicates that the variable or condition is already present and being studied, while "Let" implies that the variable or condition is being introduced or manipulated by the researcher.

2. Why is "Exists" often considered a more rigorous approach in scientific experiments?

Using "Exists" in scientific experiments allows for the observation and analysis of naturally occurring phenomena, which can provide more reliable and valid results. This approach eliminates the potential bias and manipulation that may occur when using "Let" to introduce a variable or condition.

3. How do scientists determine which variables to include in an "Exists" statement?

Choosing which variables to include in an "Exists" statement requires careful consideration and understanding of the research question and hypothesis. Scientists must also consider potential confounding variables and ensure that the variables included are relevant and necessary for the study.

4. What are the limitations of using "Let" in scientific research?

While "Let" can be a useful tool for manipulating variables in experiments, it also has limitations. Introducing a variable through "Let" may not accurately reflect how the variable would naturally occur, and the manipulation may influence the results in unforeseen ways. Additionally, using "Let" may not be feasible or ethical in certain types of research.

5. Can "Arbitrary" variables be used in scientific research?

Yes, "Arbitrary" variables can be used in scientific research, but they should be used with caution. These variables are not naturally occurring and are often chosen at random or for convenience. Therefore, they may not accurately represent the real-world phenomenon being studied and can introduce bias or error into the results.