[Diffraction] Can a glass slide magnify an object on it?

In summary, the conversation discusses an optical setup for recording the diffraction pattern of a sample on an image detector some distance away. The sample is placed on a standard microscope glass slide. After recording the diffraction pattern, it is numerically back-propagated using the angular spectrum method to the sample plane. However, there is a discrepancy between the actual physical distance and the numerically propagated distance, possibly due to the glass slide magnifying the diffraction pattern. The speaker asks if the image detector records any phase information and explains that without it, the original object cannot be reconstructed. They also clarify the meaning of "back-propagate".
airoll
I have the following optical setup, in which the goal is to record the diffraction pattern of a sample on an image detector some distance away. In this particular case, the sample is sitting on a standard microscope glass slide.

Mf3tW2o.jpg

Now, after recording the diffraction pattern, I numerically back-propagate it (using the angular spectrum method) to the sample plane. The distance between the image detector and sample is ~10 mm. However, in order to reproduce the original image of the sample, I need to numerically back-propagate 40 mm.

I'm not sure why this might be happening, so I was wondering: Could it be possible that the glass slide is effectively magnifying the diffraction pattern of the sample? If not, why would there be such a large discrepancy between the actual physical distance, and the numerically propagated distance?

Science news on Phys.org
What do you record with your image detector?
Do you have any phase information. If not, then you cannot reconstruct the original object.
What do you mean by "back-propagate"?

Related to [Diffraction] Can a glass slide magnify an object on it?

1. How does diffraction cause magnification on a glass slide?

Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves pass through a small opening or around an object. When light waves pass through a glass slide, they diffract and spread out, resulting in the object on the slide appearing larger than it actually is.

2. Can any glass slide be used to magnify an object?

No, not all glass slides are suitable for magnifying an object. The glass slide must be thin and have a smooth surface in order for diffraction to occur effectively.

3. Does the distance between the object and the glass slide affect the magnification?

Yes, the distance between the object and the glass slide can affect the magnification. The closer the object is to the glass slide, the larger it will appear due to the diffraction of light waves.

4. Is diffraction the only factor that contributes to magnification on a glass slide?

No, there are other factors that can also contribute to the magnification on a glass slide, such as the thickness and curvature of the glass, as well as the angle at which the light waves hit the slide.

5. Can a glass slide magnify an object without the use of a microscope?

Yes, a glass slide can magnify an object without the use of a microscope. However, the magnification may not be as strong as it would be with a microscope, and the quality of the magnified image may not be as clear.