Dimension of a vector space and its subspaces

Txema
TL;DR Summary
Can a vector subspace have the same dimension as the space it is part of?
If so, can such a subspace have a Cartesian equation?
if so, can you give an example.

Thanks in advance;

Physics news on Phys.org
Txema said:
TL;DR Summary: Can a vector subspace have the same dimension as the space it is part of?

Thanks in advance;
Is this homework?

Technically, a vector space is a subspace of itself. This is sometimes called a trivial subspace or not a proper subspace. See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_subspace

Txema said:
TL;DR Summary: Can a vector subspace have the same dimension as the space it is part of?

Thanks in advance;
If the dimension is finite, then inclusion ##U\subseteq V## AND equal (finite) dimension implies equality ##U=V.## Both properties are required for this conclusion.

If the dimension is infinite, then things are more complicated. For example ##\mathbb{Q}\subseteq \mathbb{R}## has "the same dimension over ##\mathbb{Q}##" as ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})\subseteq \mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{Q}\subsetneq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## but they are obviously not equal. Infinite cardinalities behave different than ordinary numbers.

Likes mathwonk and PeroK
Txema said:

Thanks in advance;
The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in its basis.
Each basis of a vector space has the same number of vectors and ##dim(Ssub) \leq dim(S)##.
PeroK said:
Technically, a vector space is a subspace of itself. This is sometimes called a trivial subspace or not a proper subspace. See, for example:
The Cartesian equation (If it is a scalar product that determines the subspace) is also trivial.
The scalar product with zero vector
##\langle 0,x \rangle=0 \cdot x_1+0 \cdot x_2+...+0 \cdot x_n=0##

That is it in finite dimensional spaces .

When the vector space has infinite dimensions, you can use the property that ##\infty+1## is still ##\infty##.

You can choose the set of all infinite sequences as a vector space ##x=(x_1, x_2, x_3, ... ) \in S##
and all sequences which sum is zero as a subspace ##Ssub## . Its dimension is ##\infty##.

The Cartesian equation in that situation is
##\langle 1,x \rangle=1 \cdot x_1+1 \cdot x_2+...+1 \cdot x_n +...=0##
where 1 is infinite series ##(1, 1, 1, ... )##

All constant sequences ( which all members are the same number ) is a subspace . Its dimension is 1.
e.g. ##(1, 1, 1, ...)##, ##(-4, -4, -4, ... ) ##, ...

A proper, non-trivial, subspace with the same dimension as the space can only be obtained if the vector space is infinite-dimensional.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Is this homework?
No, I wish, I'm 60 years old.:smile:
Thank you Perok for your answer.

Likes Bosko
fresh_42, Bosko, my question is perfectly answered, thank you very much.

Likes Bosko
fresh_42 said:
If the dimension is infinite, then things are more complicated. For example ##\mathbb{Q}\subseteq \mathbb{R}## has "the same dimension over ##\mathbb{Q}##" as ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})\subseteq \mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{Q}\subsetneq \mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## but they are obviously not equal. Infinite cardinalities behave different than ordinary numbers.
This doesn't fit in the question, does it? What are the space and the subspace with the same dimensions?

martinbn said:
This doesn't fit in the question, does it? What are the space and the subspace with the same dimensions?
You are right, I should have written ...

The subspaces are ##\mathbb{Q}(\pi)## and ##\mathbb{Q}(\pi,\sqrt{2})## contained in the rational vector space ##\mathbb{R}.## The dimensions of both subspaces are then equal but the subspaces are not.

fresh_42 said:
It fits perfectly.

The subspaces are ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## contained in the rational vector space ##\mathbb{R}.## The dimensions of both subspaces are countably infinite, the dimension of ##\mathbb{R}## is uncountable infinite.
I don't understand. What do you mean the dimensions are countably infinite? The dimensions of ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## over the field ##\mathbb{Q}## are ##1## and ##2##.

But the question ask for a subspace of a space such that their dimensions are the same. So is it possible to have two spaces (over a field ##F##) say ##W\subset V## such that ##dim_FW=dim_FV##? What are the ##W## and ##V## in your example?

martinbn said:
I don't understand. What do you mean the dimensions are countably infinite? The dimensions of ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{2})## over the field ##\mathbb{Q}## are ##1## and ##2##.

But the question ask for a subspace of a space such that their dimensions are the same. So is it possible to have two spaces (over a field ##F##) say ##W\subset V## such that ##dim_FW=dim_FV##? What are the ##W## and ##V## in your example?
I corrected it.

fresh_42 said:
I corrected it.
Still, what are the ##W## and ##V## in your example?

martinbn said:
Still, what are the ##W## and ##V## in your example?
\begin{align*}
\mathrm{F}&=\mathbb{Q}\\
\mathrm{V}&=\mathbb{R}\\
\mathrm{W_1}&=\mathbb{Q}(\pi)\\
\mathrm{W_2}&=\mathbb{Q}(\pi,\sqrt{2})\\
\end{align*}
\begin{align*}
\dim_\mathrm{F} \mathrm{W_1}=\infty = \dim_\mathrm{F} \mathrm{W_2} \wedge \mathrm{W_1}\subsetneq \mathrm{W_2}
\end{align*}

fresh_42 said:
\begin{align*}
\mathrm{F}&=\mathbb{Q}\\
\mathrm{V}&=\mathbb{R}\\
\mathrm{W_1}&=\mathbb{Q}(\pi)\\
\mathrm{W_2}&=\mathbb{Q}(\pi,\sqrt{2})\\
\end{align*}
\begin{align*}
\dim_\mathrm{F} \mathrm{W_1}=\infty = \dim_\mathrm{F} \mathrm{W_2} \wedge \mathrm{W_1}\subsetneq \mathrm{W_2}
\end{align*}
Then there is a missing ##\pi## in your first post. Why do you need to include ##\mathbb R##?

martinbn said:
Then there is a missing ##\pi## in your first post. Why do you need to include ##\mathbb R##?
I was mistaken. My thought was that ##\mathbb{Q}\subseteq \mathbb{R}## was a vector space and a subspace with an uncountably infinite index. I then confused index and dimension instead of building a correct counterexample.

fresh_42 said:
I was mistaken. My thought was that ##\mathbb{Q}\subseteq \mathbb{R}## was a vector space and a subspace with an uncountably infinite index. I then confused index and dimension instead of building a correct counterexample.
I know. I am not picking on you. I just thought it would be usfull to the OP if you clarify it. By the way the real numbers as a subspace of the complex numbers, both over the rationals may be an easier example for the OP.

Likes fresh_42

What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is defined as the number of vectors in a basis of the vector space. A basis is a set of vectors that are linearly independent and span the entire vector space, meaning every vector in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The dimension provides a measure of the size or complexity of the vector space.

How do you find the dimension of a subspace?

To find the dimension of a subspace, you first need to identify a basis for that subspace. This involves finding a set of vectors within the subspace that are linearly independent and span the subspace. Once a basis is identified, the dimension of the subspace is simply the number of vectors in this basis.

Can the dimension of a subspace be greater than the dimension of the vector space?

No, the dimension of a subspace cannot exceed the dimension of the vector space it is part of. By definition, a subspace is a space that is entirely contained within another vector space. Therefore, the number of linearly independent vectors (the dimension) in the subspace must be less than or equal to the number of linearly independent vectors in the entire vector space.

What is the relationship between the dimensions of a vector space and its subspaces?

The dimension of any subspace of a vector space is always less than or equal to the dimension of the vector space itself. If you have a vector space V of dimension n, any subspace U of V will have a dimension m where m ≤ n. This hierarchical relationship helps in understanding the structure and properties of vector spaces and their subspaces in linear algebra.

What happens to the dimensions of subspaces when you take sums or intersections?

When you take the sum of two subspaces, the dimension of the resulting subspace is given by the formula dim(U + V) = dim(U) + dim(V) - dim(U ∩ V), where U and V are subspaces. This formula accounts for the fact that some vectors might be counted twice if they are in both U and V. The intersection of two subspaces, U ∩ V, consists of all vectors that are in both U and V, and its dimension is typically less than or equal to the dimensions of U and V. This reflects how dimensions adjust based on shared and unique elements in subspaces.