Dimension of Dirac Functionals in $V$: Find the Answer

In summary: An element of V is a function f. For instance cos is an element. And any linear combination is also an element of V. For instance 2cos x + 3sin x.Moreover, each function in V can be uniquely identified by 5 real numbers - the coefficients of the linear combination.Now consider e.g. f(x)=acos x+bsin x. For which a and b do we have f(0)=0?Since $\delta$ is a function, there is a unique solution for this equation. In this case, the a and b are 0, and the dimension of the kernel is 5.
A.Magnus
I am very much struggling with this problem: The set $\{\sin x, \cos x, x \sin x, x \cos x, x+2, x^2-1 \}$ on interval of $[0, \pi]$ is linearly independent and generates vector space $V$. Find the dimension of the kernel of the Dirac functionals in $V$.

Here are what I know of the definitions from my textbook: If $W$ is a vector space of continuous real-valued function on the interval $[0,1]$, and if $\delta: W \rightarrow \mathbb R$ is a map such that $\delta(f) = f(0)$, then $\delta$ is called Dirac functional. (Functional is defined as an element of $W$'s dual space, and dual space is the set of all linear maps of $W$ to $\mathbb R$.

I have been researching online on Dirac functional, but all I got were topics on differential equation and not on linear algebra. I am totally lost, please help. Thank you before hand for your gracious help and time. ~MA

Physics news on Phys.org
MaryAnn said:
I am very much struggling with this problem: The set $\{\sin x, \cos x, x \sin x, x \cos x, x+2, x^2-1 \}$ on interval of $[0, \pi]$ is linearly independent and generates vector space $V$. Find the dimension of the kernel of the Dirac functionals in $V$.

Here are what I know of the definitions from my textbook: If $W$ is a vector space of continuous real-valued function on the interval $[0,1]$, and if $\delta: W \rightarrow \mathbb R$ is a map such that $\delta(f) = f(0)$, then $\delta$ is called Dirac functional. (Functional is defined as an element of $W$'s dual space, and dual space is the set of all linear maps of $W$ to $\mathbb R$.

I have been researching online on Dirac functional, but all I got were topics on differential equation and not on linear algebra. I am totally lost, please help. Thank you before hand for your gracious help and time. ~MA

Hi MaryAnn! ;)

So we have:
$$V = \{ f: [0,\pi]\to\mathbb R \mid f(x) \mapsto a\sin x+b\cos x + c x\cos x + d(x+2) +e(x^2-1)\text{ for some }a,b,c,d,e \in \mathbb R \} \simeq \mathbb R^5$$
and we're looking for a kernel in $V$ of $\delta$. That is:
$$\{f \in V\mid \delta(f)=0\}$$
Right? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hi MaryAnn! ;)

So we have:
$$V = \{ f: [0,\pi]\to\mathbb R \mid f(x) \mapsto a\sin x+b\cos x + c x\cos x + d(x+2) +e(x^2-1)\text{ for some }a,b,c,d,e \in \mathbb R \} \simeq \mathbb R^5$$
and we're looking for a kernel in $V$ of $\delta$. That is:
$$\{f \in V\mid \delta(f)=0\}$$
Right? (Wondering)

Thanks, but I am getting more confused than ever. By reading the problem closely, at first I thought that the set of linearly independent functions $\{\sin x, \cos x, ... \}$, let's denote it as $S$, is generating $V.$ But the way you told me is that $S$ is generating $\mathbb R.$ I am not challenging an authoritative guru like you, but could you please explain a little bit. And the dimension is therefore 5? Thanks again for your gracious help! ~MA

MaryAnn said:
Thanks, but I am getting more confused than ever. By reading the problem closely, at first I thought that the set of linearly independent functions $\{\sin x, \cos x, ... \}$, let's denote it as $S$, is generating $V.$ But the way you told me is that $S$ is generating $\mathbb R.$ I am not challenging an authoritative guru like you, but could you please explain a little bit. And the dimension is therefore 5? Thanks again for your gracious help! ~MA

An element of V is a function f. For instance cos is an element. And any linear combination is also an element of V. For instance 2cos x + 3sin x.
Moreover, each function in V can be uniquely identified by 5 real numbers - the coefficients of the linear combination.

Now consider e.g. f(x)=acos x+bsin x. For which a and b do we have f(0)=0?

MaryAnn said:

Maybe it would help to go back to the original question and look at it carefully. You are correct to say that this "Dirac functional" is a linear map from $V$ to $\mathbb R$. I have put "Dirac functional" in quotes because I think that term is not helpful in this context and is likely to put you off. So just think of $\delta$ as a linear map from $V$ to $\mathbb R$. You are asked to find the dimension of its kernel.

You are told that $V$ is generated by a set of six functions (not five: I think ILS missed one!), and you are helpfully told that this set of functions is linearly independent. I have two questions for you.

Q.1. What is the dimension of $V$?

Q.2. (This is really a big hint.) Do you know a theorem about a linear map, giving a connection between the dimensions of its kernel and its range?

Last edited:
Opalg said:
You are told that $V$ is generated by a set of six functions (not five: I think ILS missed one!)

Awwww... there goes my hard won guru status. (Tmi)

Opalg said:
Maybe it would help to go back to the original question and look at it carefully. You are correct to say that this "Dirac functional" is a linear map from $V$ to $\mathbb R$. I have put "Dirac functional" in quotes because I think that term is not helpful in this context and is likely to put you off. So just think of $\delta$ as a linear map from $V$ to $\mathbb R$. You are asked to find the dimension of its kernel.

You are told that $V$ is generated by a set of six functions (not five: I think ILS missed one!), and you are helpfully told that this set of functions is linearly independent. I have two questions for you.

Q.1. What is the dimension of $V$?

Q.2. (This is really a big hint.) Do you know a theorem about a linear map, giving a connection between the dimensions of its kernel and its range?

Many thanks to Opalg, you came to my rescue just in time! Here are my takes from your big hints:

A1: $dim(V) = 6$, because $V$ is generated by 6 functions.

A2: The dimension formula says $dim(V) = dim(ker (\delta) + dim(Im(\delta)).$

I think that $dim(Im(\delta)) = 3$ because as described by ILS, $\{ f \in V \mid \delta (f) = 0 = f(0)\}$, and
$$\begin{align}
f(0) &= a \sin 0 + b \cos 0 + (c)(0) \sin 0 + (d)(0) \cos 0 + e(0 + 2) + g(0^2 - 1)\\
&=b +2e - g,
\end{align}$$
which indicates that the dimension is indeed $3$.

Hence, after putting the numbers into the dimension formula, we have the $\dim(ker(\delta)) = 3.$ Please let me know if I made yet another dummy mistakes :) Thank you again to both of you for your gracious help! ~MA

MaryAnn said:
Many thanks to Opalg, you came to my rescue just in time! Here are my takes from your big hints:

A1: $dim(V) = 6$, because $V$ is generated by 6 functions.

A2: The dimension formula says $dim(V) = dim(ker (\delta) + dim(Im(\delta)).$

I think that $dim(Im(\delta)) = 3$ because as described by ILS, $\{ f \in V \mid \delta (f) = 0 = f(0)\}$, and
$$\begin{align}
f(0) &= a \sin 0 + b \cos 0 + (c)(0) \sin 0 + (d)(0) \cos 0 + e(0 + 2) + g(0^2 - 1)\\
&=b +2e - g,
\end{align}$$
which indicates that the dimension is indeed $3$.

Hence, after putting the numbers into the dimension formula, we have the $\dim(ker(\delta)) = 3.$ Please let me know if I made yet another dummy mistakes :) Thank you again to both of you for your gracious help! ~MA
Ummm... Not quite. This map $\delta:V\to\mathbb R$ has $\mathbb R$ as its image space. Since $\mathbb R$ is $1$-dimensional, its only subspaces have dimension $0$ (the subspace consisting only of the zero vector) or $1$ (if the subspace is the whole space). So $\mathrm{dim}(\mathrm {Im}(\delta))$ can only be $0$ or $1$.

Opalg said:
Ummm... Not quite. This map $\delta:V\to\mathbb R$ has $\mathbb R$ as its image space. Since $\mathbb R$ is $1$-dimensional, its only subspaces have dimension $0$ (the subspace consisting only of the zero vector) or $1$ (if the subspace is the whole space). So $\mathrm{dim}(\mathrm {Im}(\delta))$ can only be $0$ or $1$.

A belated thank you! ~MA

1. What are Dirac functionals and how are they related to dimensions in $V$?

Dirac functionals are mathematical objects used in functional analysis to describe the properties of function spaces. They are closely related to the dimension of a vector space, as the number of Dirac functionals needed to span a space is equal to its dimension.

2. How do you find the dimensions of Dirac functionals in a given vector space $V$?

The dimensions of Dirac functionals in a vector space $V$ can be found by considering the number of linearly independent functionals needed to span the space. This can be determined by analyzing the structure and properties of the given vector space.

3. Can the dimensions of Dirac functionals vary in different vector spaces?

Yes, the dimensions of Dirac functionals can vary in different vector spaces as they are dependent on the properties and structure of the space. For example, a finite-dimensional vector space will have a finite number of Dirac functionals, while an infinite-dimensional vector space will have an infinite number of Dirac functionals.

4. How are Dirac functionals used in practical applications?

Dirac functionals are used in a variety of practical applications, including signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics. They provide a powerful mathematical tool for analyzing and describing the behavior of function spaces, making them useful in many areas of science and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dirac functionals in $V$?

While Dirac functionals are a useful mathematical tool, they do have some limitations. In particular, they may not be well-defined in certain function spaces, which can limit their applicability. Additionally, the use of Dirac functionals may require advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques, making them less accessible to those without a strong mathematical background.