Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for open access materials on the content of several papers and books, particularly P.A.M Dirac's "Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics". There is a discussion on the importance of Dirac's theory and several sources are mentioned, including references from Loudon and Weinberg, as well as relevant papers from various authors. Additionally, there is a mention of the difficulty in accessing Dirac's paper and the potential significance of understanding Dirac's theory in the context of gauge theories.
rocdoc
Gold Member
I wondered if anyone might know of any open access materials, possibly lecture notes, on the content of the following papers or books.

P.A.M Dirac, 1950, Can. J. Math. 2,147 "Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics"

P.A.M Dirac, 1933, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 29, 389 "Homogenous variables in classical dynamics"

S. Shanmugadhasan, 1963, Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., 59, 743.

H.P.Kunzle, 1969, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincare, 40,107.

W. Kundt, 1965, Springer Tracts in Modern Physics, 40,107.

A.Mercier, 1963, Canonical Formalism in Classical Mechanics, New York, Dover.

P.A.M. Dirac, 1964, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics, Academic Press, London.I have access to the first article mentioned above but would still like lecture notes, problem sets with answers on it's content.

Does anyone have any comments on the importance of Dirac's theory?

I Googled "dirac generalized hamiltonian" and noted the following were mentioned in the searches returned content.

nambu

never regular

interconnected physical systems, port-hamiltonian

hamiltonian structures

Dirac solitons

Dirac operators

recursive properties of Dirac brakets

Dirac geometry

pontryagin
Does anyone have any comments on the importance of "these"?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd bet that if you googled any of those papers or subjects you'd find what you are looking for online and free...

WOW.
It looks as if the following
P.A.M Dirac, 1950, Can. J. Math. 2,147 "Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics"
is one of the most important papers in the history of physics!

Likes dextercioby
It looks as if the paper is very important for "Classical Field Theory", "Quantum Field Theory", "Gauge Field Theory".

I did not know.

My origins in science are in chemistry. I was studying the Hamiltonian for the interaction of light with a molecule, when a reference to Dirac's work turned up. See the references mentioned in Chapter 5 of Loudon ( Reference 1 ).

Reference
1. R. Loudon, The quantum theory of light, 2nd Ed, Oxford University Press,1983.

Likes dextercioby
It's not allowed to post links to illegal sources, although for this specific paper I consider it an act of self-defence since I've never been able to download this paper in a legal way from any institution I've ever visited around the world. I don't know, who has a subscription to the Can. J. Math ;-)).

There's a very good treatment of Dirac brackets and all that in

Weinberg, QT of Fields, vol. 1

and also

Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics

Likes dextercioby
Hi vanhees71. Any comment on the importance of Dirac brackets and all that?

It's important to understand the canonical quantization of gauge theories, including Abelian gauge theory (e.g., QED) in general gauges (particularly manifestly covariant ones like the Lorenz gauge). The non-Abelian case is pretty complicated in any gauge, and the path-integral formalism is much more intuitive in that case, although one understands a lot of the complicated aspects when also looking at the operator formalism. The seminal papers are by Kugo et al:

http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...lls Field Theories&of=hb&sf=earliestdate&so=d

Likes dextercioby
Amazing, thank you for your work :)

1. What is Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory?

Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the dynamics of physical systems. It is an extension of the classical Hamiltonian formalism, which is used to describe the motion of particles in terms of their position and momentum.

2. What are the key features of Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory?

The key features of Dirac's theory include the use of a generalized Hamiltonian, which includes both the momenta and the coordinates of the system, as well as the introduction of constraints through the use of Lagrange multipliers. It also allows for the incorporation of both classical and quantum mechanical systems.

3. How is Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory different from classical mechanics?

Dirac's theory differs from classical mechanics in that it allows for the inclusion of constraints, which can arise in systems with symmetries or gauge symmetries. It also allows for the description of systems with both classical and quantum properties, whereas classical mechanics only describes classical systems.

4. What are the applications of Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory?

Dirac's theory has been used in a variety of fields, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. It has also been used in areas such as condensed matter physics, where it has been applied to the study of superconductivity and other phenomena.

5. What are the main criticisms of Dirac's Generalized Hamiltonian Dynamics Theory?

One criticism of Dirac's theory is that it is not as intuitive as classical mechanics and can be difficult to understand and apply in certain situations. Another criticism is that it does not fully account for the effects of quantum mechanics, leading to inconsistencies at the quantum level. Additionally, some have questioned the use of constraints in the theory and their implications for the overall framework.