Direct polar radiation increases as....

In summary, the amount of direct radiation increases as the zenith angle increases, while the amount of diffuse radiation also increases with zenith angle. However, this relationship is not the same for both types of radiation. The Beer-Lambert law, specifically the Lambert's cosine law, can help explain the inverse relationship between direct and diffuse radiation. Additionally, according to the Beer-Lambert law, diffuse radiation increases as we move towards Dusk, but it is unclear if the same is true for moving towards Dawn. Further research or clarification may be needed.
QuarkDecay
Does direct radiation increase as the zenith increases? I know the diffuse radiation increases as zenith does, but is it the same for direct
Also is it right to say that when diffuse radiation increase, the direct should decrease and vice versa?

edit: My book says diffuse increases as we move towards the Dusk. But does it also increase as we move towards Dawn?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
QuarkDecay said:
Summary: Direct and Diffuse radiations with zenith angle

Does direct radiation increase as the zenith increases?

Radiation from where ?

davenn said:
Radiation from where ?
from the sun. Solar

davenn said:
Radiation from where ?
And on what?

sophiecentaur said:
And on what?
I dunno, ask the OP 😉

Ha. I was adding to your question. Not asking you. I should have added some appropriate punctuation, perhaps.
The whole question needs an answer or perhaps a reference.

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Ha. I was adding to your question. Not asking you.

yeah, I realized that but I doubt that the OP did LOL :wink:D

QuarkDecay said:
Summary: Direct and Diffuse radiations with zenith angle

Does direct radiation increase as the zenith increases? I know the diffuse radiation increases as zenith does, but is it the same for direct
Also is it right to say that when diffuse radiation increase, the direct should decrease and vice versa?

edit: My book says diffuse increases as we move towards the Dusk. But does it also increase as we move towards Dawn?
Sounds like you are looking for information on the Beer-Lambert law, more specifically the Lambert's cosine law:

groups.csail.mit.edu/.../6.837/F01/Lecture15/lecture15.pdf

Related to Direct polar radiation increases as....

1. What is direct polar radiation?

Direct polar radiation refers to the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's polar regions directly from the sun without being scattered or absorbed by the atmosphere.

2. How does direct polar radiation increase?

Direct polar radiation increases as the angle of incidence of the sun's rays on the Earth's surface becomes more perpendicular. This occurs during the summer months in the polar regions when the Earth's tilt allows for more direct sunlight to reach these areas.

3. What factors affect direct polar radiation?

The main factors that affect direct polar radiation include the Earth's tilt, the time of year, and the latitude of the location. Other factors such as cloud cover and atmospheric conditions can also impact the amount of direct polar radiation received.

4. Why is direct polar radiation important?

Direct polar radiation is important because it plays a significant role in the Earth's climate and weather patterns. It also affects the melting and formation of polar ice, which can have implications for sea levels and ocean currents.

5. How is direct polar radiation measured?

Direct polar radiation is measured using instruments such as pyranometers and pyrheliometers, which can accurately measure the amount of solar radiation reaching the Earth's surface. Satellite imagery and climate models are also used to study and track changes in direct polar radiation over time.