Direct sum and product representation

In summary, the direct sum and product of representations \rho_1 and \rho_2 on vector spaces V_1 and V_2 respectively are defined as \rho_1 \oplus \rho_2 : G \to GL\left(V_1 \oplus V_2 \right) and \rho_1 \otimes \rho_2 : G \to GL\left(V_1 \otimes V_2 \right). To show that these maps are representations, one must prove that they are homomorphisms, which can be done through a straightforward calculation while keeping track of the group, vector space, and general linear group.
Yoran91
Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with the concept of the direct sum and product of representations.
Say I have two representations [itex]\rho_1 , \rho_2[/itex] of a group [itex]G[/itex] on vector spaces [itex]V_1, V_2[/itex] respectively. Then I know their direct sum and their product are defined as

[itex] \rho_1 \oplus \rho_2 : G \to GL\left(V_1 \oplus V_2 \right)[/itex]
with [itex] \left[\rho_1 \oplus \rho_2 \right] (g) (v_1,v_2) = (\rho_1 (g) v_1 ,\rho_2 (g) v_2)[/itex]

and

[itex]\rho_1 \otimes \rho_2 : G \to GL\left(V_1 \otimes V_2 \right) [/itex]
with [itex]\left[ \rho_1 \otimes \rho_2 \right] (g) v_1 \otimes v_2 =\rho_1 (g) v_1 \otimes \rho_2 (g) v_2 [/itex].

However, in calling these maps representations I have to show these are homomorphisms, which I can't seem to do. Can anyone help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I worked it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a straightforward calculation. The trick with representations is to keep track of where you are: ##G, V, GL(V)##.

What is a direct sum representation?

A direct sum representation is a mathematical concept used to represent a vector space as the direct sum of two or more subspaces. This means that any vector in the original space can be expressed as a unique combination of vectors from the subspaces.

What is a product representation?

A product representation is a mathematical concept used to represent a vector space as the Cartesian product of two or more vector spaces. This means that any vector in the original space can be expressed as an ordered pair or tuple of vectors from the individual vector spaces.

What is the difference between direct sum and product representation?

The main difference between direct sum and product representation lies in the way they combine subspaces. Direct sum combines subspaces by adding their vectors together, while product representation combines subspaces by taking the Cartesian product of their vectors.

What are the advantages of using direct sum and product representation?

Direct sum and product representation are useful in many areas of mathematics and science because they allow for a simpler and more efficient representation of complex vector spaces. They also provide a way to study and analyze different aspects of a space separately.

How are direct sum and product representation used in practical applications?

Direct sum and product representation have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they can be used to represent physical systems with multiple degrees of freedom, to analyze complex networks, and to design efficient algorithms for data processing and compression.