Direction of current in Kirchoff's second law

In summary: This is what Kirchoff's second law is saying. If the current in the circuit is positive, then the electric field points towards the positive side of the battery, and if the current is negative, the electric field points towards the negative side of the battery.
Roroy
Hello,

I'm going through Kirchoff's second law, and stumbled across this example on this page:

kirchhoff-2nd-law.jpg

In the image above, you can see that the blue arrows (both arrow 1 and arrow 2) indicate the direction that the current goes in. However, I am wondering why the current cannot go as per the red and green arrows depicted in the image below?
What stops the electrons from going from Negative end of 10V battery to positive end of 20V battery (as per red arrow)? What stops them going from negative end of 20V to positive end of 10V (as per green arrow)?

kirchhoff_2nd_law.jpg

Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Roroy said:
What stops the electrons from going from Negative end of 10V battery to positive end of 20V battery (as per red arrow)? What stops them going from negative end of 20V to positive end of 10V (as per green arrow)?
Nothing. The current (not the electrons) goes wherever it needs too go. In your first example, the current arrows does not indicate where the current goes, they are just indicators that you are going to use when calculating the currents. If one of the current turns out to be negative - you just guessed wrong and the current goes against the arrow.

Likes CWatters
But it's not wrong to get negative currents. How you choose the direction of currents in circuit analysis is arbitrary. Maybe it's intuitive to have only positive currents, but it's not necessary. For AC you have anyway time-dependent currents with positive and negative values like ##i(t)=i_0 \cos(\omega t)## :-).

Likes CWatters and Dale
Hold on a min folks. I agree that it doesn't matter if 1) or 2) are clockwise or anticlockwise as long as you are consistent but...

In the first image the arrows 1) and 2) show the currents going right around their respective loops. For example 1) goes from the +ve of the 10V battery all the way around the left hand loop back to the +ve of the 10V battery. eg back to where it started.

In the second image the currents don't go around a loop at all. The red arrow starts at the +ve of the 10V battery and ends at the -ve of the 20V battery. It's not a closed loop. I don't think that works at all as far as Kirchoff's second law is concerned. However if someone wants to prove me wrong...

Edit: If you look at the 10V battery the current leaving the +ve terminal is the red current. The current entering the -ve terminal is the green current. That implies the red and green currents must be the same value which clearly doesn't have to be true.

Likes Roroy
CWatters said:
Hold on a min folks. I agree that it doesn't matter if 1) or 2) are clockwise or anticlockwise as long as you are consistent but...

In the first image the arrows 1) and 2) show the currents going right around their respective loops. For example 1) goes from the +ve of the 10V battery all the way around the left hand loop back to the +ve of the 10V battery. eg back to where it started.

In the second image the currents don't go around a loop at all. The red arrow starts at the +ve of the 10V battery and ends at the -ve of the 20V battery. It's not a closed loop. I don't think that works at all as far as Kirchoff's second law is concerned. However if someone wants to prove me wrong...

Edit: If you look at the 10V battery the current leaving the +ve terminal is the red current. The current entering the -ve terminal is the green current. That implies the red and green currents must be the same value which clearly doesn't have to be true.

This cleared a lot of it up! Thanks!

Indeed the loop must be closed. What you do there is just to integrate Faraday's Law over a surface ##S## with boundary ##\partial S## (which is necessarily a closed loop), using Stokes's theorem
$$\frac{1}{c} \dot{\vec{B}}=-\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E} \; \Rightarrow \; \frac{1}{c} \int_S \mathrm{d} \vec{S} \cdot \dot{\vec{B}}=-\int_{\partial S} \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{E}.$$
You can integrate along the circuit, and as long as it is at rest you get
$$\mathcal{E}=\int_{\partial S} \mathrm{d} \vec{S} \cdot \vec{E}=-\frac{1}{c} \dot{\Phi}_S=-\frac{1}{c} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \int_S \mathrm{d} \vec{S} \cdot \vec{B}.$$

1. What is Kirchoff's second law and how does it relate to current direction?

Kirchoff's second law, also known as Kirchoff's loop rule, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop of a circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage sources. This law is important because it helps us determine the direction of current flow in a circuit.

2. How do you use Kirchoff's second law to determine the direction of current flow?

In order to use Kirchoff's second law to determine current direction, you must first draw a circuit diagram and label all voltage sources and resistors. Next, choose a direction for the current flow in each branch of the circuit. Then, apply Kirchoff's second law by writing an equation for each closed loop in the circuit. Finally, solve the equations to determine the direction of current flow.

3. Can Kirchoff's second law be used for both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's second law can be applied to both series and parallel circuits. In a series circuit, the voltage drops across each resistor add up to the total voltage of the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the sum of the voltage drops across each branch is equal to the total voltage of the circuit.

4. What happens if the current direction determined by Kirchoff's second law does not match the actual direction of current flow?

If the current direction determined by Kirchoff's second law does not match the actual direction of current flow, it means that the assumed direction of current flow was incorrect. This could be due to an error in the circuit diagram or a mistake in applying the law. It is important to double check the circuit diagram and equations to find the error and correct it.

5. Can Kirchoff's second law be used to determine the magnitude of current in a circuit?

No, Kirchoff's second law only helps us determine the direction of current flow in a circuit. In order to calculate the magnitude of current, we must use Ohm's law, which states that the current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage across the resistor and inversely proportional to the resistance of the resistor.