Direction of frictional force acting on car

In summary, the answer to the question is that the car's net acceleration is 3 m/s^2 if it is coasting.
coreluccio
I posted the solution to the problem I am having below. I did this problem and got it wrong because I had the force of friction on the car acting in the opposite sense (which I argue it should be). I don't get this at all, have they made a mistake in the solution? The wheels apply a backward force on the road and the road applies a forward reactive force on the wheels, so why would the friction on the car be acting backwards, unless the car is skidding, which it isn't in this question?

http://bigpichost.com/files/untitled_gdq49mdu.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
coreluccio said:
The wheels apply a backward force on the road and the road applies a forward reactive force on the wheels.
This is only true if the cars's rate of acceleration is greater than if it were coasting with only gravity accelerating it at point A on the hill. If cars rate of acceleration is slower than coasting, then the brakes are being applied to reduce the rate of acceleration.

You've already done most of the math, so at point A, if the car was coasting, what would it's rate of acceleration be?

rcgldr said:
This is only true if the cars's rate of acceleration is greater than if it were coasting with only gravity accelerating it at point A on the hill. If cars rate of acceleration is slower than coasting, then the brakes are being applied to reduce the rate of acceleration.

You've already done most of the math, so at point A, if the car was coasting, what would it's rate of acceleration be?

Ah you are right. I hadn't even considered that. The component of gravity in the tangential direction gives the car an acceleration of 4.39 m/s^2, so the car would need to be breaking to have a net 3 m/s^s acceleration. Thank you.

Related to Direction of frictional force acting on car

1. What is the direction of frictional force acting on a car?

The direction of frictional force acting on a car can vary depending on the situation. In general, the direction of frictional force will be opposite to the direction of motion of the car. This means that if the car is moving forward, the frictional force will act in the opposite direction, trying to slow the car down. However, if the car is moving downhill, the direction of frictional force may be uphill, as the car's weight is pushing it down the slope.

2. How does the direction of frictional force change when a car turns?

When a car turns, the direction of frictional force acting on the car will also change. This is because the tires are now moving in a different direction, and the frictional force will act in the opposite direction to the new direction of motion. For example, when a car turns left, the frictional force will act to the right, helping to keep the car in its new direction of motion.

3. Does the weight of the car affect the direction of frictional force?

Yes, the weight of the car can affect the direction of frictional force. Heavier cars will have a greater downward force, which can cause the tires to grip the road more tightly. This can result in a larger opposing frictional force, making it more difficult to move the car in a different direction.

4. How does the surface of the road affect the direction of frictional force?

The surface of the road can have a significant impact on the direction of frictional force acting on a car. Smooth, dry roads will provide more grip for the tires, resulting in a larger opposing frictional force. On the other hand, wet or icy roads will have less grip, resulting in a smaller opposing frictional force and making it more difficult to control the car's motion.

5. Can the direction of frictional force be manipulated?

Yes, the direction of frictional force can be manipulated to a certain extent. For example, by changing the tires on a car to ones with a different tread pattern, the amount of grip and the direction of frictional force can be altered. Additionally, using specialized driving techniques, such as drifting, can also manipulate the direction of frictional force acting on a car.