Direction of frictional force when running

In summary, the conversation discusses the frictional force when a person is running and how it affects their movement. It is explained that the force is both forward and backward, but for steady speed, the net momentum transfer from the ground is forward. The conversation also touches on Newton's 3rd law and how it applies to this situation. It is clarified that there are two forces of friction between the ground and shoe, and the force by the ground on the shoe needs to be ultimately forward for the person to be propelled forward. The use of imprecise language can lead to confusion in understanding this concept. The conversation ends with a thank you and the sharing of a helpful video on the topic.
sach963
When a person is running is frictional force forward or backward?
I do not have good knowledge of

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, they're moving forward, pushing their legs backwards. Newton's 3rd law says the force A exerts on B is equal and opposite of the force B exerts on A. What does this say to you?

sach963 said:
When a person is running is frictional force forward or backward?
Both, but for steady speed the net momentum transfer from the ground is forward to counter air resistance (unless on treadmill).

So, this means that friction between ground and shoe is forward?

sach963 said:
So, this means that friction between ground and shoe is forward?
The horizontal force (friction) on the shoe is backward in early stance phase, and forward in late stance phase, See the smaller component in the plot in the video above: negative = backwards, positve = forward. The bigger, always positive, component is the vertical force on the shoe (normal force).

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Much of the confusion in all similar situations arises because of using imprecise language. For example, regarding the question by sach963, "So this means friction force between ground and shoe is forward?", there are TWO forces of friction between ground and shoe. One is the force by shoe on ground, and the other by ground on shoe. It is the force between ground and shoe that needs to be ultimately forward so that the person is propelled forward by it.This is clearly stated by A.T. above, "force on the shoe". When your shoe pushes back on the ground, the ground pushes forward on your shoe.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Much of the confusion in all similar situations arises because of using imprecise language. For example, regarding the question by sach963, "So this means friction force between ground and shoe is forward?", there are TWO forces of friction between ground and shoe. One is the force by shoe on ground, and the other by ground on shoe. It is the force between ground and shoe that needs to be ultimately forward so that the person is propelled forward by it.This is clearly stated by A.T. above, "force on the shoe". When your shoe pushes back on the ground, the ground pushes forward on your shoe.
Sorry, the wrong words got cut and pasted in my response, here is the correct one:
Much of the confusion in all similar situations arises because of using imprecise language. For example, regarding the question by sach963, "So this means friction force between ground and shoe is forward?", there are TWO forces of friction between ground and shoe. One is the force by shoe on ground, and the other by ground on shoe. It is the force BY ground ON shoe that needs to be ultimately forward so that the person is propelled forward by it.This is clearly stated by A.T. above, "force on the shoe". When your shoe pushes back on the ground, the ground pushes forward on your shoe.

Incidentally, A.T., that was a very nice video. Can I show it in my class?

Chandra Prayaga said:
t is the force BY ground ON shoe that needs to be ultimately forward so that the person is propelled forward by it.
With air resistance or during acceleration the average force will be forward. On the treadmill the average horizontal force is approximately zero.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Incidentally, A.T., that was a very nice video. Can I show it in my class?
It's not mine. It comes from here:
http://www.smu.edu/Simmons/Research/LPL

Thank you all for your replies.:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
This question had been breaking my head.:headbang:

Thank you all for your replies.:bow:
This had been breaking my head.:headbang:

Related to Direction of frictional force when running

1. What is the direction of frictional force when running?

The direction of frictional force when running is opposite to the direction of motion. This means that when you are running forward, the frictional force will act in the backward direction.

2. Why is frictional force important when running?

Frictional force is important when running because it helps to provide grip and traction between your feet and the ground. This allows you to push off the ground and move forward without slipping.

3. How does the weight of a runner affect the direction of frictional force?

The weight of a runner has no effect on the direction of frictional force. The direction of frictional force is determined by the direction of motion, not the weight of the object.

4. Can the direction of frictional force change while running?

Yes, the direction of frictional force can change while running. For example, if you suddenly change direction or stop, the direction of frictional force will also change accordingly.

5. How does the type of surface affect the direction of frictional force when running?

The type of surface can affect the direction of frictional force when running. For example, if you are running on a wet or slippery surface, the direction of frictional force may not be as strong and can cause you to slip or lose traction.