Direction of magnetic force for magnetic dipoles

In summary, a bar magnet in a uniform magnetic field experiences a magnetic force that is along the magnetic field due to its magnetic dipole moment, which is a fictitious concept similar to an electric dipole moment made up of two opposite charges. This is different from the magnetic force on a charged particle, which is always perpendicular to the magnetic field. The force on the bar magnet can be explained by a hypothetical model that uses magnetic poles, but it is ultimately caused by the motion of charges or currents.
san203
Gold Member
A charged particle in a magnetic field experiences a magnetic force that is perpendicular to it.
But is that the case with magnetic dipoles?

There was this section in my textbook describing Torque on a Bar magnet in a uniform magnetic field which states that the magnetic force m.B on one pole of bar magnet acts along the magnetic field. But that does not fit with the above statement that Magnetic force always acts perpendicular to particles.
Please Explain.
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A magnetic pole is not a particle, and does not actually exist physically. It is a fiction that let's us pretend that a magnetic dipole is similar to an electric dipole made up of two opposite electric charges.

Particles with "magnetic charge," i.e. magnetic monopoles, do not exist, as far as we know. Maxwell's equations do not include magnetic charge, although they can be "extended" hypothetically to include it.

I understand that monopoles do not exist physically. But that was not my question. My question was why does a bar magnet in a uniform magnetic field experience magnetic force in the same direction as the magnetic field?

san203 said:
There was this section in my textbook describing Torque on a Bar magnet in a uniform magnetic field which states that the magnetic force m.B on one pole of bar magnet acts along the magnetic field.

I think you're mis-reading your textbook. The torque on a magnetic dipole is ##\vec m \times \vec B## (vector cross product). The dot product ##\vec m \cdot \vec B## (actually the negative of it) gives you the potential energy of the dipole. In both cases it applies to the entire dipole, not a single pole.

Magnetic moment

@jtbell
I am sorry. The m.B was actually multiplication of m&B.

Torque-on-a-bar-magnet.jpg
Link to the original webpage

As you see in this figure, the Dipole is subjected to a force mB which is along the magnetic field.This is what is confusing me. No prior explanation was given in my textbook about magnetic forces acting in the direction of field(i thought they always act perpendicular). Does it happen only in case of dipoles? Because i am pretty sure that the force on an electron in Magnetic field would be perpendicular to it.

How does the book define m, exactly? It sure looks like to me like it's using m as the symbol for a fictitious magnetic monopole strength, analogous to electric charge.

Yes. Your right. The symbol m is described as magnetic pole strength in my textbook.

Edit: I read Wikipedia and found out that their are 2 kinds of Magnetic field H and B? I also read their are two models to describe magnetic field and that the H model was used to describe forces on magnets. I am confused now.

Edit#2 : I read some more. Correct me if i am wrong. The physically real magnetic field is because of moving charges or currents. The pole model is hypothetical but is easier to use. The magnetic force described in my previous post is also a consequence of this model that states that a pole in a magnetic field would be subjected to forces along the magnetic field something similar to electric charges in electric field. Hence the force m.B acting on the Magnetic dipole causes rotation.

Last edited:
san203 said:
Yes. Your right. The symbol m is described as magnetic pole strength in my textbook.

Edit: I read Wikipedia and found out that their are 2 kinds of Magnetic field H and B? I also read their are two models to describe magnetic field and that the H model was used to describe forces on magnets. I am confused now.

don't worry about this yet.

Edit#2 : I read some more. Correct me if i am wrong. The physically real magnetic field is because of moving charges or currents. The pole model is hypothetical but is easier to use. The magnetic force described in my previous post is also a consequence of this model that states that a pole in a magnetic field would be subjected to forces along the magnetic field something similar to electric charges in electric field. Hence the force m.B acting on the Magnetic dipole causes rotation.

That's sounding good. I think the most fundamental mistake you seem to have made was equating the force on an electrically charged particle with that of a magnetically charged particle. The latter don't seem to exist, but even if they do, the would not behave the same way.

Likes 1 person

1. What is a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is a type of magnet that has two poles, a north pole and a south pole. It is created when a current-carrying loop or a permanent magnet is placed in a magnetic field.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic force for magnetic dipoles?

The direction of the magnetic force for a magnetic dipole is always perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current or movement of the dipole.

3. How is the direction of the magnetic force determined for a magnetic dipole?

The direction of the magnetic force can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current or movement of the dipole and curl your fingers towards the direction of the magnetic field, your palm will face the direction of the magnetic force.

4. How does the distance between two magnetic dipoles affect the direction of the magnetic force?

The distance between two magnetic dipoles does not affect the direction of the magnetic force. The force will always be perpendicular to the line connecting the two dipoles and will depend on the strength of the dipoles and the distance between them.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic force for magnetic dipoles be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force can be reversed by changing the direction of either the magnetic field or the current or movement of the dipole. This can be achieved by reversing the direction of the current in the loop or flipping the orientation of a permanent magnet.