Dirtbike Trajectory: Designing a 200ft Jump Landing

• Thread starter Nickbrits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary, a new member of the group is seeking assistance in designing a landing for a 200 foot jump at their freestyle motocross park. The park has been approached by an earthmoving company willing to sponsor the equipment needed for the landing. The member is seeking help in determining the necessary launch angle for the ramp to achieve the correct distance. They are worried about the potential drag involved with the speed required for a 200 foot jump. Some suggestions are made, including looking into previous experiments and data collected by professional jumpers, in order to create a mathematical model for the jump. The member also clarifies that they are not approaching this recklessly and are seeking professional advice.
Nickbrits
Hi everyone,

Im new on here, joined in the hopes that someone might be able to assist. Myself and a friend have created a freestyle motocross park, with all kinds of huge jumps. We have just been approached by the owner of an earthmoving company who is going to sponsor us the earthmoving equipment for a 200 foot jump landing. It is now up to me to come up with a design for our landing, so that the sponsor can come and create it for us. For this I need to work out what kind of "launch" angle we will need on the ramp, to put it at the correct distance. I have used the basic trajectory formula to build jumps before, but nothing over 65 foot. I am worried that the drag involved with the speed required to clear 200ft is going to mess with my calculations, can anyone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A 200 foot jump falls into extreme dare devil territory, and those guys have a lot of accidents, in spite of teams of "experts" that know jump physics and do a lot of experiments at shorter distances to gather enough information for progressively longer jumps.

Once againk, Jeff hit the nail on the head...i suggest you look up Darwin Award and save yerself a lot of traction and hospital time experimenting to get it right..option 2 is to add a rocket to the peddler and hang on..

Ranger Mike said:
ifin you got ennuf juice,,you can make her fly!
see 1995 Darwin Award: JATO Rocket

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it.

clown attached war surplus rocket (JATO - Jet Assist Take Off is rocket attached to C130 airplane to help it take off from short run way) to his car and achieved flight ..fir a while..see DarwinAward. com

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Thank you for the reply, but I do not really appreciate the fact that you assume I am some kind of idiot that just go into dangerous activities blindly. I am an engineer as you probably are, my approach to this is a very professional one, as with everything I do. Unlike you I do not only have a brain and use it, but I also have a lot of skill when it comes to jumping dirtbikes, so unless you have anything positive to contribute to my original question please keep snide remarks to yourself.

So I take it no one can help me on this then?

Nickbrits said:
So I take it no one can help me on this then?
From what I've read, there are too many variables (aerodynamic drag, suspension, ...) and the math is too complex for a simple equation. From what I've read, data is collected from progressively longer jumps to create a mathematic model. I assume the model is specific to a particular motorcycle. The guys doing these jumps know the required speed for the longer jumps before attempting them. Seems like there are fewer incidents now, so maybe the mathematical models are better. You'll probably have to correspond with one of these long jumper teams to see if you can get data and/or the mathematical model, or duplicate what they do with progressively longer jumps and model the data yourself. From what I recall, most of these longer jumps are done around 90mph or so to reduce the air time (less chance for the bike to pitch into a bad attitude for landing).

Related to Dirtbike Trajectory: Designing a 200ft Jump Landing

1. How do you calculate the trajectory of a dirtbike jump landing?

To calculate the trajectory of a dirtbike jump landing, you will need to consider the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. By using the equations of motion and basic trigonometry, you can determine the horizontal and vertical components of the dirtbike's trajectory, which will allow you to plot its landing spot.

2. What factors influence the design of a 200ft jump landing for a dirtbike?

The design of a 200ft jump landing for a dirtbike is influenced by several factors including the rider's skill level, the type of bike being used, the terrain, and weather conditions. These factors will affect the launch angle, landing slope, and overall shape of the landing to ensure a safe and successful jump.

3. How can you ensure the safety of the rider when designing a dirtbike jump landing?

To ensure the safety of the rider, it is important to carefully consider the height and slope of the landing, as well as the surface conditions. The landing should have a smooth and gradual slope to reduce the impact of the landing and prevent the rider from losing control. Additionally, safety gear and proper training are essential for the rider's protection.

4. What role does aerodynamics play in the design of a dirtbike jump landing?

Aerodynamics plays a crucial role in the design of a dirtbike jump landing. The shape and angle of the landing can affect the air resistance and drag on the bike, which can impact the distance and control of the jump. It is important to consider the aerodynamics of the landing to ensure a smooth and stable landing for the rider.

5. How do you test and adjust the design of a dirtbike jump landing?

The design of a dirtbike jump landing can be tested and adjusted through computer simulations and physical prototypes. By inputting the initial conditions and variables into a simulation program, you can observe the trajectory and landing of the dirtbike. Physical prototypes can also be used to test and make adjustments to the design based on real-world conditions and rider feedback.