Why does an excimer lamp produce a double filament discharge?

In summary: Are they close enough to each other that they feel an attractive force?They are close enough to each other that they feel an attractive force.
VACUUMIST
I am experimenting with excimer lamps powered as capacitive discharge electrodeless pulses.
The discharge, on a mixture of Kr and Cl, around 3 torr, appears a a double filament, why?
See picture.
P4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
VACUUMIST said:
Summary:: strange form of low pressure electric discharge

I am experimenting with excimer lamps powered as capacitive discharge electrodeless pulses.
The discharge, on a mixture of Kr and Cl, around 3 torr, appears a a double filament, why?
See picture.View attachment 270347
That's pretty cool. Can you describe how you built that experiment? How did you seal the tube and pump it down?

Interesting. Maybe @ZapperZ has some further insight when we know a bit more about the setup.

What does it look like from the side? Still 2 filaments? A cylinder viewed from the side (radially) would be brighter at the edges than the center, I would imagine. But this does look like two filaments to me.

Given the setup I would expect circular symmetry, except for the proximity of the table. One experiment would be to really set up true circular symmetry by suspending it above the table somehow.

Hi, thanks for your interest.
It is a quartz tube, that was evacuated in a high vacuum system (mechanical pump + diff pump), degassed, filled with krypton and chlorine and sealed off with blow torch.
Power supply approx 10 kV, at 50 kHz, pulsed source.

VACUUMIST said:
Hi, thanks for your interest.
It is a quartz tube, that was evacuated in a high vacuum system (mechanical pump + diff pump), degassed, filled with krypton and chlorine and sealed off with blow torch.
Power supply approx 10 kV, at 50 kHz, pulsed source.
a bipolar pulsed source or unipolar?

Hi DaveE
It is an electrodeless lamp.
Quartz is the envelope and the dielectric.

VACUUMIST said:
Hi DaveE
It is an electrodeless lamp.
Quartz is the envelope and the dielectric.
Yes, I see that. Which way do the electrons travel, one way, or both directions?

Is a bipolar pulsed source.

excimer lamp.jpg

@VACUUMIST , Hey interesting stuff, can you please elaborate whether the lamp if viewed from the side looks like in my attached drawing and does the plasma that forms resembles the red one in my drawing?PS. what purpose is there the tape on the sides of the lamp and what seems like a wire running down either in the inside or outside the lamp ?
Are you using permanent magnets nearby to influence the shape of the discharge ?

Maybe if you can you can take a video of the lamp in action and show us.

Hi artis

Both filaments seems to be paralell.
Tapes are just to hold the lamp to the table.
No wire inside or outside, just both external electrodes.
No alteration with a neodymium magnet.
I will try to prepare a video.
Thanks.

VACUUMIST said:
No alteration with a neodymium magnet.
Really? I would have expected something.

With an earlier essay, Kr + Br, the permanent magnet distorted the discharge.
I suspect that now, being the discharge so close to the lamp wall it is not noticeable any distorsion.

I forgot to mention that the last magnet experiment was done with the electrodes repositioned, placed along the main axis of the lamp. That resulted in two discharges close to each electrode. Tomorrow some pictures.

I prepared a new lamp, still at pumping station. Permanent magnet distorts the two discharges. Looking from an end doesn´ t seem that the discharges are as suggested by artis. Each discharge has its own start.
P5.JPG

Likes artis
A HV diode in series with the lamp reduces the irradiated power but keeps the two discharges.

Interesting lamp, well in the first picture you attached i think i saw that wire along the lamp axis at the outside of the glass.

The thing I don't quite get is why are there two parallel discharges , because currents running in parallel tend to unite as they feel an attractive force

No wires, just the 2 external electrodes.
I have the same question... why two parallel discharges?

1. What is an excimer lamp?

An excimer lamp is a type of gas discharge lamp that uses a mixture of noble gases, such as xenon and argon, and a halogen gas, such as chlorine or fluorine, to produce short-wavelength ultraviolet light.

2. How does an excimer lamp work?

The excimer lamp works by applying a high voltage to the gas mixture, causing electrons to collide with the gas molecules and create excited states. When these excited states decay, they emit photons of ultraviolet light.

3. What is discharge in an excimer lamp?

Discharge in an excimer lamp refers to the flow of electricity through the gas mixture, resulting in the emission of ultraviolet light. This discharge is what allows the lamp to produce the desired wavelength of light.

4. What are the applications of excimer lamps?

Excimer lamps have a variety of applications, including sterilization, water and air purification, and photolithography in the semiconductor industry. They are also used in medical treatments, such as phototherapy for skin conditions.

5. What are the advantages of using an excimer lamp?

One of the main advantages of excimer lamps is their ability to produce high-intensity ultraviolet light at specific wavelengths, making them useful for targeted applications. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other gas discharge lamps and do not contain mercury, making them more environmentally friendly.