Discounted price related math problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sirkal
  • Start date
In summary: So, the lowest amount is 49.28In summary, you will receive \$49.28 in cash back from the store for the gift that you returned, which originally cost \$50.
Sirkal
You go shopping and buy a gift for a friend, but on the day before youre going to give it to him, you notice that he already has exactly what you bought him! You take the gift back to the mall, but you lost your receipt. The cashier says that you can only get back cash for the lowest amount that the item sold for. The item was originally \$50 and sales tax in your area is 9.5%. it went on sale on four different occasions. Keep in mind that when an item goes on sale, it is taxed first and then the discount is taken. The first sale was 10% off. The second sale was no tax. The third sale was buy 3, get 1 half off. The last one was buy anything over \$40 and get a $5 gift card. How much cash will you get back?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sirkal said:
You go shopping and buy a gift for a friend, but on the day before youre going to give it to him, you notice that he already has exactly what you bought him! You take the gift back to the mall, but you lost your receipt. The cashier says that you can only get back cash for the lowest amount that the item sold for. The item was originally \$50 and sales tax in your area is 9.5%. it went on sale on four different occasions. Keep in mind that when an item goes on sale, it is taxed first and then the discount is taken. The first sale was 10% off. The second sale was no tax. The third sale was buy 3, get 1 half off. The last one was buy anything over \$40 and get a \$5 gift card. How much cash will you get back?

Taxed first, then discount is applied? ... never have seen it work that way in actual practice, but I’ll play by the rule. So, non-discounted price including tax is $50(1.095)=54.75$ for any case.

case 1, 10% off ... $54.75(0.9)=49.28$

case 2, no tax ... you can figure this one out, I’m sure.

case 3, buy 3 get 1 half off ... $\dfrac{3.5(54.75)}{4} = 47.91$

case 4, receive a \$5 gift card for any purchase over \$40 ... you can probably figure out this one yourself, also.

0.95 * 54 = 51.3
So that's how much I receive back from the store?

Sirkal said:
0.95 * 54 = 51.3
So that's how much I receive back from the store?

why $0.95 \cdot 54$ ? where did that come from ?

... read this part of the question again

The cashier says that you can only get back cash for the lowest amount that the item sold for.

which of the 4 cases is the lowest ?

The second sale was no tax = 50

The last one was buy anything over \$40 and get a \$5 gift card. ---- 54.75 - 5 = 49.75

1. How do I calculate the discounted price of an item?

To calculate the discounted price of an item, you will need to know the original price and the discount percentage. Multiply the original price by the discount percentage and then subtract that amount from the original price. The resulting number will be the discounted price.

2. What is the formula for calculating the discount percentage?

The formula for calculating the discount percentage is (discount amount / original price) x 100. This will give you the percentage of the original price that is being discounted.

3. Can I use the discounted price to find the original price?

Yes, you can use the discounted price to find the original price. To do this, you will need to know the discount percentage. Divide the discounted price by 1 minus the discount percentage. This will give you the original price.

4. How do I calculate the savings from a discounted price?

To calculate the savings from a discounted price, you will need to know the original price and the discounted price. Subtract the discounted price from the original price. The resulting number will be the amount saved.

5. Can I use the discount percentage to compare different discounted prices?

Yes, you can use the discount percentage to compare different discounted prices. The higher the discount percentage, the greater the savings and the lower the final price will be. However, it is also important to consider the original price and the quality of the item when making comparisons.