Discovering the Mystery Behind the Direction of Water Swirl in Your Sink

• B
  • Thread starter tomlib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the direction of the water in a spout is influenced by the rotation of the Earth, but other factors like the initial state of the water can also play a role. Veritasium and Smarter Every Day have a video discussing this phenomenon and the importance of controlling variables when observing it. Additionally, the speaker shares their personal experience of blocking the drain with a match while trying to replicate the experiment at home.
tomlib
I have a trivial question. What causes the direction in which the water in the spout turns? They say it's according to the Earth's hemisphere, but I don't really believe it and I'm looking for other reasons. Finally, even this reason would have to have some explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, there is a theoretical effect due to the rotation of the earth. However, usually that is swamped by other disturbances like the initial state. So if there is only the slightest rotation already in the water before you start draining that will easily decide the rotational direction. Veritasium and Smarter Every Day did a video on this:

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Did you fill and empty the sinks in your house to see which way they swirl? What did you learn?

Likes vanhees71
That I blocked the drain with a match.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71

1. What causes the direction of water swirl in my sink to change?

The direction of water swirl in your sink is determined by the Coriolis effect, which is caused by the rotation of the Earth. This effect is strongest near the poles and becomes weaker near the equator.

2. Does the direction of water swirl in my sink depend on the hemisphere I am in?

Yes, the direction of water swirl in your sink will be clockwise in the Northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the Southern hemisphere due to the Coriolis effect.

3. Can I change the direction of water swirl in my sink?

Yes, you can change the direction of water swirl in your sink by altering the initial conditions, such as the shape and size of the sink, the speed and direction of the water flow, and the temperature of the water.

4. Why does the direction of water swirl in my sink sometimes not follow the Coriolis effect?

While the Coriolis effect is a significant factor in determining the direction of water swirl, it is not the only factor. Other factors, such as the shape and size of the sink, can also influence the direction of water swirl.

5. Is the direction of water swirl in my sink affected by other factors besides the Coriolis effect?

Yes, other factors such as the shape and size of the sink, the speed and direction of the water flow, and the temperature of the water can also impact the direction of water swirl in your sink.