Discriminant of General Quadratic Equation

In summary, the discriminant expression, b^{2}-4ac, occurs in the completion of the square and solution process for both the quadratic equation and the general quadratic equation involving x and y. It is used to determine the type of conic section represented by the equation, where a positive discriminant indicates an ellipse or circle, a negative discriminant indicates a hyperbola, and a discriminant of zero indicates a parabola.
DJ24
I understand how the discriminant, [tex]b^{2}-4ac[/tex], comes from in the quadratic equation [tex]ax^{2}+bx+c=0[/tex], but how does it come from the general quadratic equation [tex]ax^{2}+bxy+cy^{2}+dx+ey+f=0[/tex] ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I still do not see the connection between [tex]b^{2}-4ac[/tex] and the classification of a conic.

DJ24 said:
I still do not see the connection between [tex]b^{2}-4ac[/tex] and the classification of a conic.

The discriminant expression occurs in the completion of the square and solution process for a quadratic equation. One of the requirements is that one accepts the connection between conic sections and the use of the distance formula definitions for parabola, ellipse, circle, and hyperbola.

I know where the discriminant comes from in the quadratic formula of which involves only x, but I don't see how it comes from the irreducible general quadratic equation of which involves x and y.

DJ24 said:
I know where the discriminant comes from in the quadratic formula of which involves only x, but I don't see how it comes from the irreducible general quadratic equation of which involves x and y.

A student or other interested person could take the equation for an unrotated conic section for which the xy term would be zero, and solve for x in terms of y. A discriminant expression would occur; actually, I should try this just to be sure, although I feel that by doing so I would find what I expect.

Yes, that, together with a number of different ways of looking at it, was explained to DJ24 the first time he posted this question. Since he says he did not understand them, I see no reason to think he will understand this time around.

I narrowed down my previous question and reposted it because I felt like the last one died. Also, my previous question was not a request of an explanation of the determinant's derivation, but rather the connection between it and conic classification.

I feel like there may be a simple proof of how b2-4ac can be derived from the general quadratic equation just as it is derived from the quadratic equation with only x, and was hoping someone could show it to me. I am not satisfied until I, if possible, have an intuitive and thorough understanding of the matter; I do not just accept plain facts of which I do not understand.

Are you asking for a geometric interpretation for the discriminant? The symbolism occurs in the derivation for solution of x or y. This then may have meaning regarding restrictions on Real values for x or y, since b2 - 4ac being negative indicates an imaginary number. I am about at my limit for what I can tell you about this (and the b2-4ac is for solution of x for a parabola; I have not yet tried to perform the derivation on the general quadratic equation for x and for y). This would be for someone else to explain.

I am looking for more of an algebraic proof.

What kind of algebraic proof are you looking for?

HallsofIvy had a very nice answer already with the matrix/eigenvalue representation.

Is the eigenvalue/vector explanation the only one, though? Isn't there a simple algebraic rearrangement of the general quadratic equation that results in displaying the discriminant?-such as in the quadratic formula of which only involves the variable x?

You mean something like this?

[itex]
\begin{align*}
ax^2+bx+c &= 0, a\neq 0\\
x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+\frac{c}{a} &= 0\\
x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+ (\frac{b}{2a})^2 &= (\frac{b}{2a})^2-\frac{c}{a}\\
\left( x+ \frac{b}{2a} \right) &= \pm\frac{\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\\
x &= \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}
\end{align*}
[/itex]

Edit : This trick is completion of squares as suggested before. You can complete the square for the general one which is not so fun to type in latex if that is what you mean...Please be specific about what you ask for. Saying "no that is not what I want" does not lead to fruitful posts.

Addition to HallsofIvy's representation the full general quadratic form can also be written as
[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} x & y & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} A & \frac{B}{2} &\frac{D}{2}\\ \frac{B}{2} & C &\frac{E}{2}\\ \frac{D}{2} &\frac{E}{2} &F\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y\\ 1\end{bmatrix} = 0
[/tex]

You can go for the determinant of this... If there are no eigenvalues at zero, can this be possible for some (x,y)?

Last edited:
Start with [itex]Ax^2+ Bxy+ Cy^2[/itex] and complete the square just like with the single variable problem:
[tex]A(x^2+ (B/A)xy+ (By/2A)^2- (By/2A)^2+ Cy^2= A(x- By/2A)^2+ y^2(C- (B/2A)^2[/tex]
Assuming A is positive (which you could guarantee by multiplying the entire equation by -1 if necessary), that will be a "sum of squares", and so the graph is an ellipse or circle, if and only if [itex]C- B^2/4A^2> 0[/itex] or [itex]B^2- 4AC< 0[/itex].

It will be a "difference of squares", and so the graph is a hyperbola, if and only if [itex]B^2- 4AC> 0[/itex] and will have only one square, and so the graph is a parabola if and only [itex]B^2- 4AC= 0[/itex].

I see how the discriminant arises by completing the square: [tex](2ax+by)^{2}=(b^{2}-4ac)y^{2}[/tex]

But how does it relate to a parabola when [tex]b^{2}-4ac=0[/tex]?

Related to Discriminant of General Quadratic Equation

What is the Discriminant of a General Quadratic Equation?

The Discriminant of a General Quadratic Equation is a mathematical term used to determine the number and type of solutions for a quadratic equation. It is represented by the symbol Δ and is calculated as b2 - 4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax2 + bx + c = 0.

How do you find the Discriminant of a Quadratic Equation?

To find the Discriminant of a Quadratic Equation, you need to identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation ax2 + bx + c = 0. Then, substitute these values into the formula Δ = b2 - 4ac. The resulting value of Δ will determine the number and type of solutions for the given quadratic equation.

What does the Discriminant tell us about a Quadratic Equation?

The Discriminant provides information about the nature of solutions for a quadratic equation. If the Discriminant is positive, the equation will have two real solutions. If it is zero, the equation will have one real solution. And if it is negative, the equation will have two complex solutions.

How does the Discriminant relate to the graph of a Quadratic Equation?

The value of the Discriminant is related to the shape and position of the graph of a Quadratic Equation. If the Discriminant is positive, the graph will intersect the x-axis at two distinct points. If it is zero, the graph will touch the x-axis at one point. And if it is negative, the graph will not intersect the x-axis, indicating that there are no real solutions.

What is the significance of the Discriminant in real-life applications?

The Discriminant is used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, physics, and economics, to determine the number of solutions for a given problem. In addition, it helps in identifying the type of solutions, whether they are real or complex, providing valuable information in decision-making processes.