Discussions about Finite Element Analysis (PDFs)

In summary, Finite Element Analysis (PDFs) is a widely used method for solving complex engineering problems by dividing them into smaller, more manageable elements. It involves creating a mathematical model of the problem and applying numerical methods to obtain an approximate solution. Discussions about Finite Element Analysis (PDFs) often focus on its accuracy, efficiency, and applications across various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering. It is a powerful tool that continues to evolve and advance, making it a vital aspect of modern engineering design and analysis.
maistral
Hi. Can someone point me to a good (and really basic) PDF file or text regarding Finite Element analysis? I would prefer it having an example where it would solve the 1D heat equation or the Laplace equation so I can extend what I know from finite difference methods to it.

Sorry if this seems too much, but I seriously cannot understand the text that I keep on finding. I am trying to study these methods on my own as I wanted to know the methods well (and at the bare minimum, execute manual calculations regarding these), as I believe knowing the method's concept is important before using programs that would execute them easily (I don't want to use programs blindly).

I am asking for help because what happens is that every single paper I find follows a single format: It would introduce the big three PDEs, then it would show the advantage of using numerical solutions, then it would then introduce (apparently) weak and strong formulations and there would be integrations out of nowhere. Basically everything went ballistic lol and I am so inebriated now :DD

Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi maistral,
you might have a look at this: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~djs/primer.pdf . Depending on the area of application, there may be other texts worth your time. If you can be more specific, maybe I can point you to more documents.
Hope it helps...

Francesco

Likes S.G. Janssens
Thanks for the help guys but it made my head ache more :DD

As of this moment I am still looking for that, Laplace equation solution with constant boundary conditions using finite elements. Sadly I'm still ending up empty-handed... but I'm not stopping yet as I don't want to give up on this (cliche, lol).

fresh_42 said:
You might have a look whether here:
https://www.ams.org/open-math-notes
is something you're looking for or perhaps help you otherwise.

I seem to be unable to find the Finite Elements here. I mean, I opened the Numerical Analysis PDF file here, and it seems to end on numerical ODE.

Coelum said:
Hi maistral,
you might have a look at this: http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~djs/primer.pdf . Depending on the area of application, there may be other texts worth your time. If you can be more specific, maybe I can point you to more documents.
Hope it helps...

Francesco
It went ballistic as well :DD

maistral said:
I wanted to know the methods well (and at the bare minimum, execute manual calculations regarding these), as I believe knowing the method's concept is important before using programs that would execute them easily (I don't want to use programs blindly).
Very good, more people should do that.
maistral said:
I am asking for help because what happens is that every single paper I find follows a single format: It would introduce the big three PDEs, then it would show the advantage of using numerical solutions, then it would then introduce (apparently) weak and strong formulations and there would be integrations out of nowhere. Basically everything went ballistic lol and I am so inebriated now :DD
What do you mean by "everything went ballistic"?

I get the impression the concept of weak solution is not clear to you, yet? Before going to FEM, I think you should look at a basic PDE text to clarify that. Essentially, one shows that strong solutions satisfy a certain identity when integrated against suitable test functions. Then one takes that identity as the defining property of a weak solution.

Maybe follow up on what Francesco offered and give some more information on your background knowledge.

I guess I get terrified when I see the 'weak' and 'strong' solution then I get stormed by Rn. I instantly get demoralized and confused after that.

maistral said:
I guess I get terrified when I see the 'weak' and 'strong' solution then I get stormed by Rn. I instantly get demoralized and confused after that.
Did you take a multivariable calculus course?

Krylov said:
Did you take a multivariable calculus course?
Sadly, no.

Actually I studied how to solve PDEs analytically and numerically via FDM all on my own. I feel so deprived actually. I wanted someone to teach me, but since there isn't anyone available and I just don't want to give up, I ended up being able to study them.

That's why my foundations are somewhat 'imbalanced', I lack knowledge on some things, but I ended up knowing a lot on other things even if I don't want to.

May I also ask, Is this concept of weak and strong solutions an important prerequisite in FEM solutions? Not that I don't want to study them (I wanted to actually), it's just that I don't have much time and I don't have much foundation on them. I mean, in FDM solutions I can just use the concept of numerical derivatives right?

Could I not do the same thing on FEM? Thanks a lot for answering my questions.

To add. To be honest I don't even know what I lack in terms of mathematics. I just try and solve problems, then if I don't know how to solve a certain thing, I try to research and look for solutions on how to kill off the problem. I think I got the grip of FDM solution fairly well (I think I know the concepts and can execute Crank Nicolson, derive computational stencils, use tridiagonal matrix methods, Gauss-SOR among other things - I don't know, I'm blindly guessing here) but when I get here at FEM I ended up with a bloody nose. The amount of Rn is terrifying, and the sudden appearance of integration terrified me even more (I didn't see these things in FDM!)

I'm an engineering graduate student (if that matters).

maistral said:
Actually I studied how to solve PDEs all on my own. I feel so deprived actually. I wanted someone to teach me, but since there isn't anyone available and I just don't want to give up, I ended up being able to study them.
It is nice that you went ahead anyway, it means you have an intrinsic interest in the topic.
maistral said:
May I also ask, Is this concept of weak and strong solutions an important prerequisite in FEM solutions?
Yes, I think it is not an overstatement to say that understanding weak and strong solutions and their relationship is very important.

One can argue about how much analysis is necessary to understand FEM and PDE in general, but I think everyone would agree that a good understanding of multivariable calculus (including the integral theorems) cannot be missed. If I were you, I would take a step back, and learn this first. It will pay you rich dividends for the rest of your life. So, roughly, the order would be:

1. multivariable / vector calculus (including the integral theorems of Stokes and Gauss),
2. applied functional analysis, so you understand at least the concept of a function space,
3. the basic theory of the classical PDE,
4. FEM.

You can probably interchange 2 and 3 if you like. Also, there is no need (at least initially) to overdo the functional analysis, but I believe you should understand its basics before moving to 4.

As far as required background knowledge goes, FDM is considerably less demanding than FEM, but FEM allows for much more physical domain flexibility, which probably matters to you as an engineering graduate student.

EDIT: ##\mathbb{R}^n## is just ##n##-dimensional space. You will learn all about it when you study 1.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
maistral said:
the sudden appearance of integration terrified me even more (I didn't see these things in FDM!)
This is because in FDM you discretize the differential operators directly. It is, in a sense, the most natural and straightforward approach to solving a (linear) PDE, but it is also not a very flexible one.

Just a curious question. I had this problem about diffusion from a point source. While I can solve this extremely easily using FDM, I wanted to try the analytical method then everything (and everyone) is pointing me to 'Green's Functions'.

Is this also covered by those? I'm getting excited actually. Thanks!

maistral said:
Just a curious question. I had this problem about diffusion from a point source. While I can solve this extremely easily using FDM, I wanted to try the analytical method then everything (and everyone) is pointing me to 'Green's Functions'.

Is this also covered by those? I'm getting excited actually. Thanks!
Yes, this is covered in 2. and/or 3. and preferably in both. Green's functions should be discussed in any book about the classical PDEs and they often appear in applied functional analysis books as well. If you want to be sure, study the TOC and perhaps also the index.

maistral said:
To add. To be honest I don't even know what I lack in terms of mathematics. I just try and solve problems, then if I don't know how to solve a certain thing, I try to research and look for solutions on how to kill off the problem. I think I got the grip of FDM solution fairly well (I think I know the concepts and can execute Crank Nicolson, derive computational stencils, use tridiagonal matrix methods, Gauss-SOR among other things - I don't know, I'm blindly guessing here) but when I get here at FEM I ended up with a bloody nose. The amount of Rn is terrifying, and the sudden appearance of integration terrified me even more (I didn't see these things in FDM!)

I'm an engineering graduate student (if that matters).

I just found a document with Matlab code for a 1D FEM problem: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~zhilin/TEACHING/MA587/chap6.pdf . At first glance, it seems very clear. It still contains a significant amount of math, but you can check your understanding by looking at the code, running it and modifying it. Good luck!

Francesco

1. What is Finite Element Analysis (FEA)?

Finite Element Analysis is a computational method used to analyze and solve complex engineering problems. It involves dividing a larger system into smaller, finite elements and analyzing each element individually, then combining the results to understand the behavior of the entire system.

2. What is the purpose of using FEA?

The main purpose of using FEA is to gain insight into the structural behavior of a system and make predictions about its performance. It can help engineers to optimize designs, identify potential failure points, and improve overall performance and safety.

3. How does FEA work?

FEA works by breaking down a continuous system into smaller, finite elements and applying mathematical equations to solve for the behavior of each element. These equations take into account various factors such as material properties, loading conditions, and boundary conditions to determine the response of the system.

4. What types of problems can FEA solve?

FEA can solve a wide range of engineering problems, including stress and strain analysis, heat transfer, fluid flow, and structural dynamics. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering to analyze and optimize designs and structures.

5. What are the advantages and limitations of FEA?

The advantages of FEA include its ability to handle complex geometries and loading conditions, provide detailed information about the behavior of a system, and allow for virtual testing and optimization. However, FEA also has limitations, such as the need for accurate input data, potential for errors in modeling and analysis, and the high computational cost and time required for complex problems.